Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2018, 12:17 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Flames 4 Oilers 2

Game Takes:
Flames 4 Oilers 2

- Second line and Brodano shut down McDavid line
- Carolina connection for the comeback
- Rittich stops three breakaways to hold the game for the comeback.
- Bennett and Tkachuk drive the Oilers nuts
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
josef
First Line Centre

Exp:

glad they gave you a win for your first glass of wine in a few month!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to josef For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie and Hamonic each continue to get better every game. Both have been monsters recently. Hanifin is gaining confidence with every game as well.

Flames weren't great in the 1st 2 periods, largely because they kept making brutal east-west passes and kept gifting the Oilers odd-man rushes(usually breakaways).

As soon as they got back to north-south hockey, and started putting pucks on net instead of making suicide passes, they completely took over the play and absolutely dominated.

Special teams were absolutely abysmal. But 5 on 5, the Flames were clearly the better team.

Really fun atmosphere at the Dome, and hilarious to watch the loudest and mouthiest of the Oiler fans sitting meekly on their hands in the 3rd.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Man I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Oiler offices before the next Edmonton Calgary game when the topic of how to handle Tkachuk comes up.

Having Bennett on that line actually adds to the Tkachuk shtick, giving him someone to muck it up with, and help out if things go completely sideways.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

That 3rd was the best period in 3-4 years I think. Not since Hartley’s cardiac kids have they been that much fun to watch.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Man I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Oiler offices before the next Edmonton Calgary game when the topic of how to handle Tkachuk comes up.

Having Bennett on that line actually adds to the Tkachuk shtick, giving him someone to muck it up with, and help out if things go completely sideways.
Absolutely.

I really hope they give Bennett a long leash on that line to re-establish some confidence, because the two of them together could become one of the craziest, most frustrating to play, 1-2 punches in the league.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

After watching the 1st, I was worried that the old Anaheim strategy of pulling the Flames into a street fight and getting them off their game still worked. In the end I think the Flames turned the tables nicely using speed and execution as opposed to emotion. I also think this game would have been far more in control if that Gaudreau cross bar in the first goes in on the PP.

I believe the strategy the Flames played last night is the easiest way to beat the Oilers. Pull their undisciplined goons into an emotional game, play McDavid tough so that they self neutralize the line and execute on the inevitable power plays. Backlund played an amazing game against McDavid (and has for the last 3 or 4 vs the oil). The only sniff McDavid got was when Backlund was in the box.