Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #121
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The Flames have actually been excellent defensively in their last four. I have no complaints in that regard.

Definitely. The team gap control has been absolutely incredible the last 4 games. They are giving the opposition little to no space to get an attack going but are conversely creating a lot of chances for themselves as a result of a strong forecheck and creating turnovers. If they can keep that up and get NHL quality goaltending they are going to be racking up wins.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #122
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Definitely. The team gap control has been absolutely incredible the last 4 games. They are giving the opposition little to no space to get an attack going but are conversely creating a lot of chances for themselves as a result of a strong forecheck and creating turnovers. If they can keep that up and get NHL quality goaltending they are going to be racking up wins.
I was going to say their counter attack is just so fast, I can’t remember the last time I saw a Flames team consistently strip the opposition of the puck and then go on the attack so fast. I love it
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #123
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

We all wanted the team to play like Vegas last year. We finally get to see a skilled team play a skilled game.

I've had more fun this season so far then the last 2 years combined.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #124
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
I was going to say their counter attack is just so fast, I can’t remember the last time I saw a Flames team consistently strip the opposition of the puck and then go on the attack so fast. I love it
I saw signs of this in the first Boston game in China. I also thought they played this way in the previous games against the Avs and the Leafs. But it's taken a while to kick in fully. I'm happy they were rewarded for playing the right way.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #125
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
*snip*

Bennett has been incredible. Funny that the year we didn't get pre-season Bennett was the year he seems to be graduating. I just wish it was beard Bennett... beard Bennett was awesome. I wonder what it is about this year that's doing it for him. I would imagine that we'll think year-end that it was Neal that clicked for Bennett, but we know today that that'll be revisionist history. He really has been able to drive the play himself, and he's been the spark on that line quite often. Great to see, and if last night was the Neal coming online, we're in for a year from Bennett.

So far so good with Bill Peters!
I think Neal probably has some influence over Bennett but I think Peters is much more of an influence tho. Peters seems to have a bit of an old school philosophy. I think he demands his players play a tough physical game. We see it in other players this year too. Monahan and Gaudreau boyh are playing with more off edge. Monahan has been using his body alot more and Johnny has been getting into the corners now. Peters also said he sat Jankowski because he wasnt grinding enough.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #126
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
We finally have a coach that's winning games again! There's no question that if he's not outright changing the game's narrative himself, he's frequently opening opportunities for someone to do it on the ice.
The only real knock so far is how he's handling the goalies. Everything else (PP and defence) I can chalk up to 'wait until game 20', and I hesitated to bring this in here. This isn't a comment on whether or not Smith is bad, and how bad he is... but rather, what is holding him back from starting Rittich against Colorado? He's played much better in front of the same defence, so even if you argue that the defence hasn't given Smith much of a chance... Rittich has been saving a lot of these. He locked the door after a rough start against these same Avs, so it seemed like a great start schedule-wise as well. But Peters is definitely into 'benefit of the doubt' territory for me, so I'm curious as to what it is we're not seeing.

Is this an adjustment to the new padding Peters knows Smith will flip a switch on (but has been looking promising in practice)? Does he want to give Smith every opportunity now, so it's clear when they have to make the switch? Is there something that Peters still sees that leads him to believe more starts for Rittich will immediately result in losses? I don't know what it is, but I'm more sure that it's something we're not seeing than I normally am with coaches. Optics aside, it's tough to make a case that we have a better chance winning with Smith in net isn't it?
I can see the thinking ... you want your number one guy to be your number one guy. So some patience and or stubbornness in this direction makes sense to me to a degree.

What I'm guessing will apply a limit to this though is the fact that Smith is on an expiring contract.

It's one thing to have a guy with three years and $18M left on a contract struggling and the need to get him going. At some point Rittich will be given some rope to run with because Smith isn't the long term solution anyway.

If Rittich flounders they'll go shopping.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #127
Mitt31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Honestly, i wanted Tippett over Peters when they fired Gully as i was more confident in the trap defensive style that it would have brought to the Flames.

Boy oh Boy am i now glad that didnt happen..

This team is fun to watch, and as bad as Smith has been playing, they are still winning and have the best start since (I forget, but seen the post)

I am trusting Peters decisions more and more, even though i too am yelling for Salty (Rittich) to start the games now.

I have a feeling this is going to be a great season!

"I'll have to photocopy that for my kids.
One day, I'll be trying to talk hockey and they'll be saying, 'The game has passed you by, dad.' I'll be able to say, 'Ovechkin's on it, and he's still lighting it up.' " - Jarome Iginla
Mitt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #128
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I appreciate the accountability.

Giveaways - take a shift off
Bonehead penalties - press box
Top line struggling - split them up

Never happened with GG.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #129
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I appreciate the accountability.

Giveaways - take a shift off
Bonehead penalties - press box
Top line struggling - split them up

Never happened with GG.
Another thing I noticed that apparently took a genius coach to figure out:

Do a line change when the players on the ice are tired, have a faceoff in their own zone, and don't have any centers on the ice to take the faceoff. Oh, and if you do happen to slip up in a situation like that, don't do it 3x in a row.

Also never had that luxury with Gullickson.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #130
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post

Do a line change when the players on the ice are tired, have a faceoff in their own zone, and don't have any centers on the ice to take the faceoff. Oh, and if you do happen to slip up in a situation like that, don't do it 3x in a row.

Someone refresh my memory, were the Flames in a playoff spot when that moment happened? The straw that broke the Camel's back.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #131
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The ironic part: Brodie WON a faceoff during OT in the CGY-BUF game on Oct 30? Whereas, vs BUF back in Jan, Brouwer couldn't win an OT faceoff that led to BUF's winning goal.

Neither Brodie nor Brouwer are centers.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:52 PM   #132
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
The ironic part: Brodie WON a faceoff during OT in the CGY-BUF game on Oct 30? Whereas, vs BUF back in Jan, Brouwer couldn't win an OT faceoff that led to BUF's winning goal.

Neither Brodie nor Brouwer are centers.
Frolik has won a bunch of important faceoffs as well.

Brouwer wasn't bad at faceoffs generally.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:11 PM   #133
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

This video of Bill discussing face offs is pretty illuminating.

https://youtu.be/4tRqhDkPtvw

“A faceoff is your team’s first 50/50 battle of a shift. So you know if your team is engaged emotionally by how they execute their draws.”
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 11:32 PM   #134
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Someone refresh my memory, were the Flames in a playoff spot when that moment happened? The straw that broke the Camel's back.
Close. Wasn't it the Buffalo game? I think that was game 47(ish), a few games after the stick throw win streak had ended and the snek was about as high as it got over the playoff line before slowly declining. Though it was still a ways before the really fast drop off.

If it wasn't the Buffalo game then disregard.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:13 AM   #135
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
The ironic part: Brodie WON a faceoff during OT in the CGY-BUF game on Oct 30?...
I thought so, but he was not credited with a face-off win on NHL.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:23 AM   #136
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Close. Wasn't it the Buffalo game? I think that was game 47(ish), a few games after the stick throw win streak had ended and the snek was about as high as it got over the playoff line before slowly declining. Though it was still a ways before the really fast drop off.

If it wasn't the Buffalo game then disregard.
Yes it was that game. 4-3 in OT, have Brouwer go on the faceoff without even making an attempt to win it, survive a minute and a half...keep Brouwer and the 2 D on the ice??? Brouwer for the faceoff again, they manage to almost kill it off and play is stopped with 2 seconds left, they somehow did it!!!!...???

Why is Brouwer and and same two D STILL on the ice after being on for a full two minutes? And Brouwer was put on the faceoff to purposely lose it again? This time Buffalo made a proper pass, in the net before the guy in the penalty box could reach. When asked about his decision after the game, GG asked Brouwer if he was fine, Brouwer said yes, so he stayed on???? What type of Junior B coaching was that?

That is when I fully lost any remaining faith in GG, and it is pretty clear the players did the same.

Last edited by Firebot; 11-03-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 11:36 PM   #137
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I saw Bill Peters on the street, I would shake his hand.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 11:55 PM   #138
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peters shortening the right part of the bench. not like GG last year playing the 4th line over the 1st.

Last edited by Otto-matic; 11-04-2018 at 12:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:21 AM   #139
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Peters shortening the right part of the bench. not like GG last year playing the 4th line over the 1st.
His classic respond after getting scored on was starting the 4th line.
I could never understand why.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:22 AM   #140
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
His classic respond after getting scored on was starting the 4th line.
I could never understand why.
Prime example tonight was on the tying goal. Sends the top line right out after a good shift from the 2nd and we're rewarded.