Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #21
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
... so time to sell AMEX?
If I was getting my info from US banks I would have to agree, but apparantly Amex is positioned better than any other CC company based on their client base. I've been told that it has a lot to with the fact that they don't take on credit roaches, and even if their deliquency rate went past their all time high, they would still be poised to turn a profit. Again just what I hear, I am not an expert in the field.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #22
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Berkshire Hathaway - I think everyone here knows what Berkshire is about

Class A's I hope?

I'm not going to say exactly what companies I am watching and would watch, but I haven't noticed many people interested in bonds so far. I think that there are some excellent opportunities here.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #23
skins
Self-Ban

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Did you buy? It shot up almost 11% today. I bought a while back around Christmas at $28. hopefully it keeps making gains
skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #24
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Class A's I hope?

I'm not going to say exactly what companies I am watching and would watch, but I haven't noticed many people interested in bonds so far. I think that there are some excellent opportunities here.

I see it like this :
Over the next 2-3 years bonds should give you 5%-10% returns (range).
and over the next 2-3 years equities should give you 10% to 70% (range).
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #25
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
I see it like this :
Over the next 2-3 years bonds should give you 5%-10% returns (range).
and over the next 2-3 years equities should give you 10% to 70% (range).

There is no question that equities give you a bigger bang over the longer term...but if you are actively trading and managing your account you can get the best of both worlds. There are some bonds that are paying 9%+ right now...pretty attractive to add that to some equities!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #26
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins View Post
Did you buy? It shot up almost 11% today. I bought a while back around Christmas at $28. hopefully it keeps making gains
I bought SU when it was at $20 and sold it at $25. I figured in this market it's better to take a small gain. Not knowing it would shoot up this high this soon.

If it drops again I will be buying more for sure and holding it longer. But at this pace it might not get back to $20.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #27
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There is no question that equities give you a bigger bang over the longer term...but if you are actively trading and managing your account you can get the best of both worlds. There are some bonds that are paying 9%+ right now...pretty attractive to add that to some equities!
But if you are actively trading and managing your account (I guess it's Scotia iTrade now ) bonds slow you down with waiting around for maturities and many of them are callable so you aren't in the drivers seat in many cases. I am happy to buy good quality names like AGU where I picked up another 4.89% today alone then wait for 1-2 years to get 9% and the opportunity cost during that 1-2 years is huge. Now is not the time to look the other way from equities as this is usually the time that we should be buying more. Besides even if my equity portfolio tanks I still get out with a 10% loss as I use trailing stops. You are not alone in the bond sentiment though as in January $78 Billion of investment grade corporate bonds were sold by companies that aren't backed by the government so the credit markets are thawing. Now if we can just get that $4 Trillion on the sidelines to come back into the game....
Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #28
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ You're right with that as well. I can't argue with equities and most of my money is going there (personally). I just think that the important thing is to get in while the markets are low!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #29
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
^ You're right with that as well. I can't argue with equities and most of my money is going there (personally). I just think that the important thing is to get in while the markets are low!

Amazing the highs and lows you will encounter when you try to buy low! It takes a lot of patience!
Old 05-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #30
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know how many of you guys are into Tesla, or listened to his conference call this afternoon, but apparently it’s a disaster. He wouldn’t talk about investments and basically kicked all the analysts off the call. The stock in the after-hours was getting smacked and was down to $280, with a lot of suggestions it could be at $250. You have to take the AH with a grain of salt, but the call sounds crazy! I will post a transcript when it’s available.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #31
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have been following Tesla for awhile and waiting for the fall. A couple resources I follow really highlighted some issues with the company. I just don’t have the cahonas to short a stock.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #32
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting story about this lady.

Life is More than Compounding Money

https://intelligentfanatics.com/life...nding-money-2/

Quote:
On January 9, 1995, 101 year-old Anne Scheiber left a $22 million fortune to Yeshiva University’s Stern College for Women. The school had never heard of Anne Scheiber before. Virtually nobody had heard of Scheiber before.

But her story got people’s attention. It continues to draw attention, for the wrong reason.

Scheiber wasn’t born rich. Nor was she a savvy entrepreneur. She had retired in 1944 after a 23-year career as an auditor for the Internal Revenue Service.

It was in the stock market Anne Scheiber gained her wealth. She lived significantly below her means, bought and held. She compounded her money. Headlines read how she turned $5,000 upon her retirement into a $22 million portfolio 51 years later. A 17.8% compounded annual return for five decades is truly head turning.

Anne Scheiber was a successful investor. She possessed textbook frugality, austerity, and rationality. She benefited from living a long life, amassed a fortune and gave it away.

But this all came at a cost.

Anne Scheiber was a recluse. She didn’t have a family, nor did she try to form meaningful relationships with those around her. This stemmed from a deep distrust of others. Her attorney Benjamin Clark and financial broker William Fay were her only acquaintances.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #33
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by station View Post
Canada Goose down 15.5% today. Q3 earnings were really good so mostly profit taking on an overbought stock I believe. I picked up a small amount, I think it's a decent value at the current price.
Going to lamely quote myself and point out that GOOS is up 86% since this post! Popped 30% just today on huge Q4 earnings beat. This and Shopify are my only two riskier plays and they are absolute crushing the market this year. Everything else I’ve picked has gone absolutely nowhere.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to station For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #34
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally decided to sell my Canopy stock at $47.50 today. Bought in at $10 and again at $19, so I'm content with 210% gains. Not sure what to do next, but I told myself if it got back in the 40s that I would sell.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #35
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Finally decided to sell my Canopy stock at $47.50 today. Bought in at $10 and again at $19, so I'm content with 210% gains. Not sure what to do next, but I told myself if it got back in the 40s that I would sell.
Smart. I got in at 21 and still holding. Meaning I’m sure the stock will tank. I should just sell mine so the stock goes nuts for everybody else. Lol

Great trade you got in at the right time
meritmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:28 AM   #36
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well. Hope everybody got out of CJB in time.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #37
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

CJR.B? I'm still in to my detriment. I don't have an exit strategy in all honesty.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:09 PM   #38
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
CJR.B? I'm still in to my detriment. I don't have an exit strategy in all honesty.
Okay please don’t take my random internet guy advise but I did ask my broker a while back about what they do in this situation. He said point blank they usually buy more to average out the cost. So say you bought 100 shares at $20, your book cost is $2000. If the stock is now $4 your market value is now $400. So take $400 and buy 100 more shares. Your 200 shares now only need to reach $12 to break even. That’s not even counting all the dividends you earned in the meantime which brings that break even point down a bit more as a line item.

As for the company itself, the dividend cut is a good thing as it will attract more investors and allow it to put more cash towards paying down debt. The big $1 billion write down appears to be a one time thing, and if that wasn’t there they would have made a decent profit. I wonder too if bigger media companies will see this as a buyout opportunity. The current book value is $11.88 so any buyout would have be at least that. The long term prospects are still very concerning, especially on the radio side, but I definitely wouldn’t sell now as this is likely the low point. Set a target loss point that you’re comfortable with and get out then.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to station For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2018, 11:07 PM   #39
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think dollar cost averaging is meant more for people trying to get large amounts of cash into the market safely over time rather than as a means of softening the blow of a downer like cjr. Actually, I don't get averaging down at all. I think it's just a way to convince yourself you were not wrong for buying a stock. It's human nature...avoid pain, seek pleasure.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:17 PM   #40
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

CJR.B may be a good opportunity but I would wait before averaging down. Corus will be in the penalty box for awhile so there is plenty of time to average down or initiate a position. In the meantime, the share price will languish, and with the summer doldrums coming, I can see the share price depreciating even further. I may put in some stink bids in sub-$4 range and leave them there all summer.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote