Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #81
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I love how Edmonton fans keep overrating Nurse. Guy is a dman with no offensive updside and is just ok defensively. He's basically Mike Stone but younger. And they want to lock that up to $5M+ long term? Lol, you keep doing you Oiler fans.
On the Oilers roster everyone looks like a top-pairing defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 08-31-2018, 11:52 AM   #82
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
On the Oilers roster everyone looks like a top-pairing defenseman.
6 Giordanos will do that!
Old 08-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #83
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

From what I’ve heard on some of the Hanifin threads, the oilers only have around $3 to 4 million in cap space. Is there any rumour as to what the oilers are looking to do to sign nurse? Have they just conceded that they have not choice but to bridge him or are they going to do something to make cap space for him to sign long-term?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #84
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love how Edmonton fans keep overrating Nurse. Guy is a dman with no offensive updside and is just ok defensively. He's basically Mike Stone but younger. And they want to lock that up to $5M+ long term? Lol, you keep doing you Oiler fans.
I’m gonna disagree.

I hate Edmonton and everything about them, but Nurse looks like a solid top 4 defenseman. He has to be the top pairing defender with Edmonton because they have no one else.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #85
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
From what I’ve heard on some of the Hanifin threads, the oilers only have around $3 to 4 million in cap space. Is there any rumour as to what the oilers are looking to do to sign nurse? Have they just conceded that they have not choice but to bridge him or are they going to do something to make cap space for him to sign long-term?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A bridge deal could very conceivably eat up all of their remaining $3.98 m of cap space, and this remains a likely outcome. However, if the Oilers do choose to sign Nurse long term, then I suspect they will move one or two players like Puljujarvi and Koskinen to the minors to start the season, trigger Sekera's LTIR cap relief, and then recall them at the latest in time for Game #2. The trick will then be to manage the salary cap later in the season in the event that Sekera returns from injury. If this happens, they will likely need to eat some player value in a bad trade to make room for a rehabilitating player they would probably prefer to leave shelved for the year.

Quote:
Old 08-31-2018, 01:03 PM   #86
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I’m gonna disagree.

I hate Edmonton and everything about them, but Nurse looks like a solid top 4 defenseman. He has to be the top pairing defender with Edmonton because they have no one else.
And I’m going to disagree with your estimation. Nurse gets walked more than any other defenseman in the league. He’s a liability out there for most of the game. You need a stud to play with him, or he hurts you more than he helps. He reminds me of Phaeuf after he screwed up his hip and was barely able to get around. Nurse’s weakness is under his helmet, and I don’t see him ever getting past that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 01:11 PM   #87
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Nurse doesn’t accept a bridge deal because that’s the best case for the Oilers when he fails to live up to his expectations.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #88
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
And I’m going to disagree with your estimation. Nurse gets walked more than any other defenseman in the league. He’s a liability out there for most of the game. You need a stud to play with him, or he hurts you more than he helps. He reminds me of Phaeuf after he screwed up his hip and was barely able to get around. Nurse’s weakness is under his helmet, and I don’t see him ever getting past that.
Nurse looked so much better when Reinhart was getting walked on the other side.

Part of me wants him to hold out and not play the first couple games so it messes with the amount cap LTIR space they get.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #89
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I’m gonna disagree.

I think Nurse looks like a guy who would be a middling pair dman, but an average one. So pretty much Mike Stone, with maybe a tad more upside. He's like a bigger Chris Russell without the offense. I would say Russell's probably actually higher in hockey IQ.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #90
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think Nurse looks like a guy who would be a middling pair dman, but an average one. So pretty much Mike Stone, with maybe a tad more upside. He's like a bigger Chris Russell without the offense. I would say Russell's probably actually higher in hockey IQ.
So like a more defensive Joe Colborne.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #91
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
If this happens, they will likely need to eat some player value in a bad trade to make room for a rehabilitating player they would probably prefer to leave shelved for the year.
In Edmonton they just call these trades.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #92
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...uy-is-edmonton

Quote:
This in from Buffalo, New York sports radio host Joe DiBiase of WGR550, his take that Connor McDavid should not be with the Edmonton Oilers for the good of the game.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #93
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Over 60% of Oiler fans on HFboards think they'll make the playoffs.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:05 PM   #94
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post

I would've guessed higher to be honest
Old 08-31-2018, 06:10 PM   #95
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
I would've guessed higher to be honest

Considering it's close to zero at least based on their roster, over 60 % is a quite the leap !
Old 08-31-2018, 06:33 PM   #96
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post

The sane ones are no longer Oiler fans.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:16 PM   #97
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
This might be the most embarrassing column of David Staples's storied basement-blogging career:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Staples
"It can be that a smaller, more industrial and northern city can attain a certain mystique and be a massive draw in sports, as big as a team in any other city. Exhibit A in this is Manchester and Manchester United. United is one of the biggest sports teams on earth. ManU rivals teams in every other European city for value and popularity. When Manchester United is on TV, the entire world watches. It’s done this by having sustained success and also by being something of an exemplar of rugged, aggressive but also successful British soccer, at least in the popular imagination.
"The Oilers were on this same path to massive popularity in the 1980s, then owner Peter Pocklington sold away Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier. If that had not happened, the Oilers might well have won three or four more Stanley Cups in the 1990s and now be seen as the Manchester United of the hockey world...
"There’s a chance that with players like McDavid, Leon Draisaitl and others that Edmonton can get winning again and build up a certain mystique and widespread popularity around this current Oilers team...smaller market teams can grab the attention of the sporting world. The Oilers have that chance."
Quote:
"The memory of the Gretzky and the 1980s success is fading, but there’s a lingering mystique around the franchise, a narrative already in place about cold, isolated Edmonton burning hot with the purest of hockey experiences because of a great team led to great heights by a generational superstar. Got something of a right to it, no? That fuse can be lit again and that fairy tale story can again take centre stage in the hockey world. I’ll argue it would be almost as good for the NHL as it is for Edmonton."
My god. What drivel.

My take:
  1. Edmonton is no good.
  2. Comparing Canada's armpit to the second largest metropolis in the United Kingdom is beyond laughable. Comparing the Edmonton Oilers to the Manchester United—perhaps the most storied and recognizable sports franchise in the entire world—defies any semblance of reason.
  3. Edmonton's memories of Gretzky and the 1980s success is absolutely NOT fading. Good lord. If anything, these memories are becoming fabrications of overactive imaginations that have been starved of success for such a long time there is nothing left to grasp onto.
  4. There is so much cheese in this blog-post that it practically dwarfs the surplus of dairy products in the US.
  5. David Staples is a cartoon character. I am starting to doubt that he is actually a real person.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 08-31-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #98
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Comparing Canada's armpit to the second largest metropolis in the United Kingdom is beyond laughable. Comparing the Edmonton Oilers to the Manchester United—perhaps the most storied and recognizable sports franchise in the entire world defies any semblance of reason.[/LIST]
  1. Edmonton's memories of Gretzky and the 1980s success is absolutely NOT fading. Good lord. If anything, these memories are becoming fabrications of overactive imaginations that have been starved of success for such a long time there is nothing left to grasp onto.
  1. There is so much cheese in this blog-post that it practically dwarfs the surplus of dairy products in the US.
  1. David Staples is a cartoon character. I am starting to doubt that he is actually a real person.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #99
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

If *shudder* the Toronto Maple Leafs ever string together a few Stanley Cups (not outside the realm of possibilities, sadly), they'll completely blow away any remaining mystique surrounding the '80s Oilers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #100
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
If *shudder* the Toronto Maple Leafs ever string together a few Stanley Cups (not outside the realm of possibilities, sadly), they'll completely blow away any remaining mystique surrounding the '80s Oilers.
The only "mystique" surrounding Edmonton resides entirely within the city limits of Edmonton. Everyone else in the world sees that sad, little backwater for what it is.

Quote:
Closed Thread