Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #2261
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Rumblings of Jesse Puljujarvi being sent to the AHL -- against Florida he got nine minutes of ice time (last on the team), playing on the fourth line. No points, no shots, minus 1.

Meanwhile, I believe Yamamoto was a healthy scratch.

Get your sunglasses Connor -- the future is bright!

He's an RFA at the end of the year, there's no way that he's going to want to stay with the Oilers. What are his options, I'd assume that he can go play in europe once his contract expires if he wants to.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #2262
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
McDavid was 11% at faceoffs last night. Terrible. RNH was 37.5%. No wonder they put Draisaitl with McDavid, at least he can win a faceoff.
For a guy on a $68 million contract Draisaitl is not much of a player outside of when he's playing alongside McDavid or on the powerplay. He has to be the highest paid complementary player in the history of the NHL.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #2263
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
McDavid was 11% at faceoffs last night. Terrible. RNH was 37.5%. No wonder they put Draisaitl with McDavid, at least he can win a faceoff.
Hes always been bad at faceoffs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #2264
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

To add to the game last night - Panthers fans are no good. I've seen more people at a Flames practice.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #2265
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

People throw around the whole concept of generation player. And I know I'm gonna take heat, but is McDavid a real generational player? Or a superstar?

He's bad at face offs, he's not tremendously good on the back check. His physical game is meh. He scores a ton, but part of that is that he's always on the ice.

He's been around for multiple years and it feels like he doesn't work that hard at expanding his game or improving the aspects of his game that aren't great. Sidney worked his bag off on face offs and on his defensive game. On top of that he's got a physical game that McDavid can't hope to achieve.

For 12.5 million a year, you have to expect a really well rounded player that does everything well and can lead your team. Are we really seeing that?

A pat on the shoulder and a "Lets go" isn't enough

Old 11-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #2266
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
For a guy on a $68 million contract Draisaitl is not much of a player outside of when he's playing alongside McDavid or on the powerplay. He has to be the highest paid complementary player in the history of the NHL.

I've said that at some point, Edmonton fans will turn against Leon due to that contract. Give it a year of continuing to do what he's doing and fans will boo him out of the building.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #2267
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think he's generational. There's been never a player who can make plays at that speed. He's the most dangerous one on one player, perhaps ever.

His consistent offensive production makes him generational as he will probably win most of the Art Ross trophies over the next decade.
The question though is - can he round out his game and elevate a team. Those are fair questions.
But for me he is generational.

But still no good.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #2268
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
To add to the game last night - Panthers fans are no good. I've seen more people at a Flames practice.
They were playing the Oilers. Who the hell in Florida wants to go watch the crappy Edmonton Oilers? Good on them for saving their money, because Edmonton is no good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #2269
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
They were playing the Oilers. Who the hell in Florida wants to go watch the crappy Edmonton Oilers? Good on them for saving their money, because Edmonton is no good.

....but, Connor McDavid....
Old 11-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #2270
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #2271
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid live would be worth the price of admission. What would a ticket be there? $20?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #2272
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
He's an RFA at the end of the year, there's no way that he's going to want to stay with the Oilers. What are his options, I'd assume that he can go play in europe once his contract expires if he wants to.
I think you're underestimating the pull of a 6 x $6m contract offer!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #2273
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
People throw around the whole concept of generation player. And I know I'm gonna take heat, but is McDavid a real generational player? Or a superstar?

He's bad at face offs, he's not tremendously good on the back check. His physical game is meh. He scores a ton, but part of that is that he's always on the ice.

He's been around for multiple years and it feels like he doesn't work that hard at expanding his game or improving the aspects of his game that aren't great. Sidney worked his bag off on face offs and on his defensive game. On top of that he's got a physical game that McDavid can't hope to achieve.

For 12.5 million a year, you have to expect a really well rounded player that does everything well and can lead your team. Are we really seeing that?

A pat on the shoulder and a "Lets go" isn't enough
I don't like the Oilers either, but come on...
Old 11-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #2274
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good VI: Chia•den•freu•de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
...His consistent offensive production makes him generational as he will probably win most of the Art Ross trophies over the next decade.
The question though is - can he round out his game and elevate a team. Those are fair questions.
But for me he is generational.

But still no good.
I agree with this, but would like to add that after several years of watching McDilettante it seems to me that he is not even able to elevate his own game. I think he has only one gear. Don’t get me wrong—it’s a helluva gear—but there is no extra push from McDrone. Whether it be a preseason game, a game in November, a no-stakes game in January when the Oilers are just playing out the string, or one of those elusively rare playoff games, he is always the same player. Maybe this is good, but it sure seems like his play is a lot less effective in situations where most other players CAN and DO elevate their own games when the stakes are higher. McDoorstop looks to me like a difference maker, but mostly only in those games in which the difference made is negligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 11-09-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #2275
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with this, but would like to add that after several years of watching McDilettante it seems to me that he is not even able to elevate his own game. I think he has only one gear. Don’t get me wrong—it’s a helluva gear—but there is no extra push from McDrone. Whether it be a preseason game, a game in November, a no-stakes game in January when the Oilers are just playing out the string, or one of those elusively rare playoff games, he is always the same player. Maybe this is good, but it sure seems like his play is a lot less effective in games where most other players CAN and DO elevate their own games when the stakes are higher. McDoorstop looks to me like a difference maker, but mostly only in those games in which the difference made is negligible.

I agree with this. When the Oilers made the playoffs, Draisaitl was more of a difference maker than McDavid.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #2276
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He's definitely a generational player.

He's won 2 Art Ross trophies by the age of 21.

Only other player that has done that is Gretzky.

Orr and Crosby also won one at 21.

Everything else I agree. Not good at faceoffs, not overly physical, possibly not a very good leader. But he is most definitely a generational talent.

Which makes this all the more hilarious. What a tremendous waste of a generational talent.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #2277
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
He's definitely a generational player.

He's won 2 Art Ross trophies by the age of 21.

Only other player that has done that is Gretzky.

Orr and Crosby also won one at 21.

Everything else I agree. Not good at faceoffs, not overly physical, possibly not a very good leader. But he is most definitely a generational talent.

Which makes this all the more hilarious. What a tremendous waste of a generational talent.
“Let’s go”
Old 11-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #2278
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends on what you consider a generation (it seems like for many it feels like 2-3 years), but until McDavid steps it up across the board, Crosby is still the best all around player of the last 20 years in my eyes.

McDavid has a few skillsets nobody can match, but Crosby has been as complete package of player as there is...he has had a killer mix of talent, intelligence and drive. And most importantly, he's done it at the highest level, and when it matters. The only thing that has let him down is his health.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #2279
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

My in-laws are currently down in Florida on vacation and went to yesterday's game. They were 15 rows behind the Panthers net and only spent $39US/ticket. He texted me after the game. "We're not fans of either team but it's always fun watching the Oilers lose!!"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CrazyCaper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #2280
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I guess it depends on what you consider a generation (it seems like for many it feels like 2-3 years), but until McDavid steps it up across the board, Crosby is still the best all around player of the last 20 years in my eyes.

McDavid has a few skillsets nobody can match, but Crosby has been as complete package of player as there is...he has had a killer mix of talent, intelligence and drive. And most importantly, he's done it at the highest level, and when it matters. The only thing that has let him down is his health.
And even then its not as though his health 'let him down' the League let him down by allowing people to try caving his skull in.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread