Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #7801
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Not just that, but they'll have to re-sign Nurse who's been their most reliable defenseman this season and will likely want $4M+ which should bring them up to something like $60 million for 9 skaters and a goaltender. Yikes.
An average of just over $4M each for Klefbom, Larsson and Russell, and $5.5M for Sekera. Add Nurse at $4M and that's a pricey top 5, for not much production.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #7802
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Can we stop with the Brouwer trade crap? He’s not going anywhere... we aren’t moving him for a different bad contract. He isn’t waiving his NTC. Management loves the guy. The coaches love the guy. And by rumours, the players love the guy.

He isn’t going anywhere.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #7803
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can we stop with the Brouwer trade crap? He’s not going anywhere... we aren’t moving him for a different bad contract. He isn’t waiving his NTC. Management loves the guy. The coaches love the guy. And by rumours, the players love the guy.

He isn’t going anywhere.
I dont agree.

The coaches love the guy, that's for sure.

But Management has to be concerned with the underlying numbers and how he pulls virtually every linemate down.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #7804
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading for Bobby Ryan would be pretty disappointing. If that's the level of "help" we can get for a playoff push, I'd rather we just not.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #7805
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I dont agree.

The coaches love the guy, that's for sure.

But Management has to be concerned with the underlying numbers and how he pulls virtually every linemate down.
Listen, I hated the signing of Brouwer from day 1 and I still hate the signing. But what numbers are you talking about how he pulls every linemate down? He was tried on the first line which wasn't very good. He played pretty decent on the Backlund line while Frolik was out.

I get that we all hate the contract but I don't think Brouwer is tainted meat like some might suggest. Management might be concerned with his production but I don't think he's poisoning any linemate and bringing them down.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #7806
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He isn’t going anywhere.

I don't think he would waive in season but he might waive his clause in summer. Read an article a month ago and he didn't seem to pleased to be on the 4th line. Its no secret that management wants another top 9 winger. If they do succeed and find that winger , either now or during summer , he knows he's back to 4th line unless there is an injury. I can't see him wanting to be on the 4th line for the next 2 years. That said he would probably only accept trade to a team where he is all but guaranteed top 9 playing time. Now that would be a hard.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #7807
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Trading for Bobby Ryan would be pretty disappointing. If that's the level of "help" we can get for a playoff push, I'd rather we just not.
He put up 15pts in 19games last year during the playoffs. I'm not sure how bringing in someone like that is "disappointing".
If the acquisition cost is reasonable and the Sens are willing to retain on him, he would be a very decent pickup.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #7808
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like Ryan has the skillset that best matches Janko and Bennett. Don't know the stats but I've always felt like Ryan shoots the puck with great frequency. I mean aside from a stupid cap hit he does address the RH scoring winger need . Both on line #3 and the PP. And at this point, can anyone argue that something needs to be added on the PP?

I also feel that with the anticipated costs of acquisition for a lot of the players being talked about, Ryan would be the cheapest and easiest to get, if 50% of his cap was retained.

Last edited by dammage79; 02-15-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #7809
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Evander Kane struggling and an abundance of wingers showing up on the rental/trade market I wonder how far his price will plummet by the deadline?

If the cost drops and the Flames can negotiate a fair extension he could still be an option?
Old 02-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #7810
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
With Evander Kane struggling and an abundance of wingers showing up on the rental/trade market I wonder how far his price will plummet by the deadline?

If the cost drops and the Flames can negotiate a fair extension he could still be an option?
Sadly (?), yes.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #7811
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

His recent performance nonwithstanding, as the trade deadline approaches, there will likely be a bidding war for his services. Teams are going to panic at the thought of not having a crash-and-bang winger and will hope that he regains his form.

Buffalo just has to be patient; no doubt there will be some GM's in "do something" mode, especially 24 hours before the deadline.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #7812
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
He put up 15pts in 19games last year during the playoffs. I'm not sure how bringing in someone like that is "disappointing".
If the acquisition cost is reasonable and the Sens are willing to retain on him, he would be a very decent pickup.
You never overrate a player for having one good playoff performance. Take a look at what he's done in his last few regular seasons. He's basically on the same trajectory as Danny Heatley. That guy isn't going to help the team as making the playoffs is the team's biggest battle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #7813
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Listen, I hated the signing of Brouwer from day 1 and I still hate the signing. But what numbers are you talking about how he pulls every linemate down? He was tried on the first line which wasn't very good. He played pretty decent on the Backlund line while Frolik was out.

I get that we all hate the contract but I don't think Brouwer is tainted meat like some might suggest. Management might be concerned with his production but I don't think he's poisoning any linemate and bringing them down.
Not every linemate, but virtually every linemate, especially those above him in the depth chart

This post by Bingo in the Brouwer injury thread is remarkable:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...de#post6571904

Quote:
Three regulars have an up tick playing with Brouwer

Matt Stajan - +4.52 CF%
Michael Stone - +1.27 CF%
Curtis Lazar - +.33 CF%

Those that struggle with him ...

Monahan -12.8
Frolik -12.3
Bennett -9.9
Giordano -8.4
Hamilton -8.3
Jankowski -7.9
Gaudreau -6.4
Backlund -4.4
Hamonic -4.3
Old 02-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #7814
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not that tsn trade board means anything ,but with just over a week to go until deadline , im amazed that Backlunds name is not on the board . It's not like flames are securly in a playoff spot.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #7815
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I don't think he would waive in season but he might waive his clause in summer. Read an article a month ago and he didn't seem to pleased to be on the 4th line. Its no secret that management wants another top 9 winger. If they do succeed and find that winger , either now or during summer , he knows he's back to 4th line unless there is an injury. I can't see him wanting to be on the 4th line for the next 2 years. That said he would probably only accept trade to a team where he is all but guaranteed top 9 playing time. Now that would be a hard.
He’s not waiving. He’s not going to be asked to waive either. He’s a guy that management and coaches feel can play up and down the lineup as well as the PK and... appearently the PP most of the time as well.

It’s time for those in the trade Brouwer camp to come to grips with this.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #7816
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Not that tsn trade board means anything ,but with just over a week to go until deadline , im amazed that Backlunds name is not the board . It's not like flames are securly in a playoff spot.
Other than a blip from Francis the whole Backlund thing has been locked down.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #7817
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He’s not waiving. He’s not going to be asked to waive either. He’s a guy that management and coaches feel can play up and down the lineup as well as the PK and... appearently the PP most of the time as well.

It’s time for those in the trade Brouwer camp to come to grips with this.
If Management has an opportunity to move that contract and they do not speak to him about it, then management is not doing their job.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #7818
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of the three players that 'benefit' with brouwer on the ice, two are very obviously the worst players consistently dressing for the team (Stajan and Lazar) with Lazar having the potential to still surpass him. These stats pretty firmly show that Brouwer is our 2nd worst consistent player (possession wise and production wise!) and given that Matt Stajan's contract (FINALLY) finishes this season, he is easily the worst contract and biggest anchor on the team.

If management doesn't see this and isn't looking to trade him, then I have lost faith in management. Seriously, I think that this is another bad strike against treliving (who we prop up as being analytical and objective, clearly not if he's holding on to brouwer) Being a "good guy" can only count for so much in a league like this, and brouwer doesn't leave it all out on the line, or even act as a tough guy enough to justify the difference. He plays like a guy who signed his retirement contract and is looking forward to sipping brews after the game more than winning anything again.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #7819
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO brouwer is the perfect example of a guy that you strong arm into accepting that sort of trade.
Waive or you'll be seeing a lot of bus action down in the AHL.

I would definitely trade this loser for bobby ryan.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #7820
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brouwer's no trade or no move, what ever it is, changes into a modified no trade this offseason.

He will theoretically have to submit a list of teams.
Closed Thread