Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #5741
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol. Okay there buffalo
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #5742
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who does Botterill think he is? Sakic?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #5743
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
depends on what you are looking for... if you are looking for a complimentary piece with some potential upside, then a guy like Pageau would fit the bill... and he wouldn't be super expensive in terms of either acquisition cost or future salary expectations.

Hoffman is a primary piece, and would expect to be compensated that way as well as having a much higher acquisition price.

I like Hoffman, i just am not sure what the flames are willing to give up to get him...

i would not be opposed to trading Brodie, based on the reports of Andersson looking close to NHL ready and additionally it being a position of depth in the organization...

Backlund is a big question right now, and the hope is that somethings are getting answered behind the scenes (ie what is Backlund's cost/length of contract demands)... you don't want to trade backlund, but if his ask is too rich, then you might have no choice but to move him before the deadline unless you are willing to roll the dice that you can sign him prior to UFA...
Hoffman is under contract for two more years @ $5.187 (Seriously? You can't do 5.2 or 5.1, it has to be 5.187?)

I would trade Brodie to bring in Hoffman, straight across. I think to win a cup, you need a goalie, you need to score, and you need a couple horses who can play 25 minutes while the other four guys scrap and claw their way to the next shift.

In the playoffs, you need offensive weapons. The deeper a team goes, the better all teams get defensively anyway. You need players that can put the puck in the net. The margin of victory is likely to be one goal - you need as many options to get that one goal as you can.

It would suck to see Brodie go, but for a 30 goal scorer, under contract, you can plug in on any of the top three lines?

Do it.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #5744
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Hoffman is under contract for two more years @ $5.187 (Seriously? You can't do 5.2 or 5.1, it has to be 5.187?)

I would trade Brodie to bring in Hoffman, straight across. I think to win a cup, you need a goalie, you need to score, and you need a couple horses who can play 25 minutes while the other four guys scrap and claw their way to the next shift.

In the playoffs, you need offensive weapons. The deeper a team goes, the better all teams get defensively anyway. You need players that can put the puck in the net. The margin of victory is likely to be one goal - you need as many options to get that one goal as you can.

It would suck to see Brodie go, but for a 30 goal scorer, under contract, you can plug in on any of the top three lines?

Do it.
yeah, it's hard to disagree... gotta give something to get something.

i do not think that wouldn't be enough from OTT's perspective though (maybe + a 3rd OR middle range prospect)...
Old 01-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #5745
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do it.
Not sure I would give up Brodie for him. Maybe a package deal. Hoffman has also never scored 30 goals in a season.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #5746
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do it.
So you want Bartkowski in the top 6 and Kulak playing top 4?

What is with all the trade Brodie proposals? Do people realize what happens when you trade him?

and no, Kylington or Wotherspoon are not going to step in and replace Brodie.

Top 4 defensemen are premium assets. They should only be traded for top centremen. Stop proposing to trade them for one dimensional wingers.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #5747
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

^ uhhhh stone top 4. And bring up Andersson. Done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #5748
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
^ uhhhh stone top 4. And bring up Andersson. Done.
Agree with it or not, you know this organisation is not going to do that. Even if they did, the downgrade remains significant. I pass hard on trading Brodie.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #5749
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
So you want Bartkowski in the top 6 and Kulak playing top 4?

What is with all the trade Brodie proposals? Do people realize what happens when you trade him?

and no, Kylington or Wotherspoon are not going to step in and replace Brodie.

Top 4 defensemen are premium assets. They should only be traded for top centremen. Stop proposing to trade them for one dimensional wingers.
The Pittsburgh Penguins won a Stanley Cup last year with Justin Schultz as their best D. The first time they won, Kris Letang was 21 and Sergei Gonchar was old. Hal Gill was on the team. Darryl Sydor played meaningful minutes. And yes, I know when they won against SJ Letang was a beast playing 30 minutes a night and basically being Erik Karlsson.

The Blackhawks had Keith, one of the best defensemen of his generation, Seabrook (one of the better defensemen of his draft) and Hjalmarsson (good player. Solid player. A Michael Frolik on defense sort of player.) They fill it out with guys like Oduya, Roszival, Trevor van Riemsdyk etc.

When the Bruins won, they had Chara, Johnny Boychuk, and then a bunch of servicable guys. Including Tomas Kaberle.

Giordano/Dougie + Hamonic, Stone, Kulak, Andersson, Spoon, Kylington on down the line + maybe another depth acquisition. With our goaltending and the addition of a 25+ goal scorer, that gives them as good a chance as anyone.

And to address the concern that Hoffman has never scored 30 - this is true. He's scored 27, 29 and 26 in the last three years. The boy can shoot it. That's the point.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 01-16-2018 at 11:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #5750
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The two most recent D for F trades that were dealing with the calibre of defenders that Calgary has in their top 4 was the Larsson for Hall and Jones for Johansen trades.

Calgary is blessed to have a deep prospect pool on defense, just like both New Jersey does now and Nashville had at the time.

Andersson could easily move up into the lineup, or Kylington. It isn't a big deal either way.

Yes, the team will get worse on defense overall. However, that's offset by getting a 60ish point player.

The key here is finding the right player to target and then go out and try to get it done. That's the harder part, especially during the season. Typically teams that are trying to deal either have nothing they want to part with of value for anything beyond prospects/picks. Makes this more of a draft floor type scenario.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #5751
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
The two most recent D for F trades that were dealing with the calibre of defenders that Calgary has in their top 4 was the Larsson for Hall and Jones for Johansen trades.

Calgary is blessed to have a deep prospect pool on defense, just like both New Jersey does now and Nashville had at the time.

Andersson could easily move up into the lineup, or Kylington. It isn't a big deal either way.

Yes, the team will get worse on defense overall. However, that's offset by getting a 60ish point player.

The key here is finding the right player to target and then go out and try to get it done. That's the harder part, especially during the season. Typically teams that are trying to deal either have nothing they want to part with of value for anything beyond prospects/picks. Makes this more of a draft floor type scenario.
Or if you're trading from the farm, you look at what was involved in Nashville trading Girard.

Nashville gave up a 2nd-round pick, D Samuel Girard, LW Vladislav Kamenev, and got Kyle Turris with a previously negotiated extension.

Andersson or Kylington, Klimchuk, 2nd round pick --> Evander Kane with an extension (not saying that's what we should do, but there's equal value).

That 2nd round pick slot could also be filled by someone like Michael Stone.

Kylington, Stone, Klimchuk --> extended Evander Kane

Bring Andersson up, then sign Fox as soon as his college year ends - which is why I mention Stone, because I think the Flames are going to have to prioritize signing Fox this year - and looking at our NHL depth on the right side, it may make Fox re-think and just stay in College. Or, you use Fox in any trade for a high end winger.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #5752
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think Rasmus Andersson is on his way, but you don't have to do it mid season.

Wouldn't hurt though to have a war room discussion on the value of Michael Stone and Travis Hamonic at the June draft, set the level and then see if someone blows that away at the deadline.

There's risk in assuming Andersson is ready. There's risk in injury to a veteran and a diminished depth chart to fill it in, but if someone is willing to significantly over play you have too look at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #5753
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i like brodie, but in order to get a Hoffman, i think you have to trade a guy like Brodie, esp with the depth the organization has on D...

its a hypothetical thread; who knows if the flames are even interested...

but Brodie as the counter weight to Hoffman is a realistic staring point; Ottawa isn't taking a bag of pucks for a guy that's scored 30 goals twice in the past
Old 01-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #5754
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Or if you're trading from the farm, you look at what was involved in Nashville trading Girard.

Nashville gave up a 2nd-round pick, D Samuel Girard, LW Vladislav Kamenev, and got Kyle Turris with a previously negotiated extension.

Andersson or Kylington, Klimchuk, 2nd round pick --> Evander Kane with an extension (not saying that's what we should do, but there's equal value).

That 2nd round pick slot could also be filled by someone like Michael Stone.

Kylington, Stone, Klimchuk --> extended Evander Kane

Bring Andersson up, then sign Fox as soon as his college year ends - which is why I mention Stone, because I think the Flames are going to have to prioritize signing Fox this year - and looking at our NHL depth on the right side, it may make Fox re-think and just stay in College. Or, you use Fox in any trade for a high end winger.
On many levels, I am sprinting away from a Kylington and Stone for Evander Kane deal.

Michael Stone is a solid player with good size who can move the puck, on a great contract. He's a PK beast.

Kylington is in his 3rd AHL season and he's 20. Why put the time into a project like that to trade him for Evander Kane?

Evander Kane has had track suits thrown in showers. When Fat Byfuglien thinks you're not working hard enough...

A week ago he's getting punched by teammates in practice because he's a cancer.

He's a bad gamble, IMO. He's a bad gamble as a rental, and he's a terrible gamble for an extension.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #5755
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you keep Brodie, he's proven himself to be a top 4 defender, even top 2 at times. Hell, even elite at times.

You trade a prospect like Kylington, Andersson or Fox to grab that top 6 guy you've been looking for. I know these are good guys, but we need to trade at least one of them and a little more to grab an impact forward.

I wouldn't trade Brodie because we're shallow on the LHD now and our RHD is the strongest it's ever been.

Kulak has to make Brodie expendable, and I just don't see him there quite yet. The potential's there for sure though.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #5756
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think Rasmus Andersson is on his way, but you don't have to do it mid season.

Wouldn't hurt though to have a war room discussion on the value of Michael Stone and Travis Hamonic at the June draft, set the level and then see if someone blows that away at the deadline.

There's risk in assuming Andersson is ready. There's risk in injury to a veteran and a diminished depth chart to fill it in, but if someone is willing to significantly over play you have too look at it.
I can't imagine they would consider moving Hamonic after just acquiring him for a 1st and two 2nds. He's probably pretty happy to be back out west and may be a good bet to re-sign at the end of his current deal. I do think Brodie is probably the guy they may have to discuss simply because he's a guy that may leave to go back east in free agency in two years anyway and that he's probably one of the few roster players that could bring back a quality winger. I don't think Stone will. We will have to see how this team finishes the season as if they go on a good run and win a few rounds in the playoffs you probably don't try to mess too much with what's working but if scoring dries up or they just don't play well down the stretch it may be time for a bit of a roster shakeup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #5757
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I think you keep Brodie, he's proven himself to be a top 4 defender, even top 2 at times. Hell, even elite at times.

You trade a prospect like Kylington, Andersson or Fox to grab that top 6 guy you've been looking for. I know these are good guys, but we need to trade at least one of them and a little more to grab an impact forward.

I wouldn't trade Brodie because we're shallow on the LHD now and our RHD is the strongest it's ever been.

Kulak has to make Brodie expendable, and I just don't see him there quite yet. The potential's there for sure though.
Ideally good organizations move on from guys like Brodie that are soon to cash in on free agency and fill spots from within with the defensemen you mentioned in bold.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #5758
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ideally good organizations move on from guys like Brodie that are soon to cash in on free agency and fill spots from within with the defensemen you mentioned in bold.
Good organizations also don't bank on one of those three panning out. I'm sure that 2/3 of those will though.

I know there's 2 more years of Brodie, but for an organization like us that wants to contend for a cup, we to keep a guy like Brodie.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #5759
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Or we can keep our d-corp as it is.
I don't think Andersson/Fox will be better than Stone or Hamonic come next year.
If anything, you let those guys over marinate, with callups as often as possible, and then when Stone and Hamonic are up for UFA, reassess the situation then.

With that being said, Andersson may soon be too good for the AHL at which point you evaluate the dollar figure of a Hamonic signing vs player potential and projected return for Andersson in a trade.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #5760
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post

The challenge is 'known quantity'.

Brodie has value because he is a known quantity, just as Hoffman has value for that reason.

there's no reason to assume that Ottawa would take on the risk of prospects not turning out for a guy like Hoffman... especially, when those prospects that aren't considered blue chip prospects... i mean Fox is interesting, but i don't think he'd be someone that is the counterweight to Hoffman... more prospects would balance out the risk for them, but more quantity that calgary would be giving up

you'd have to add more to one of those prospects than what you would have to do with Brodie being the centerpiece.

Again, i am not advocating trading anyone... if i had to pick someone, it would be Pageau, as i think he can be better than what he has shown and would be less acquisition/salary than a Hoffman... And with Pageau, you wouldn't have to give up a roster piece.

STL has tons of top end prospects, so i could see Hoffman going there... not sure if WPG is in the market, but they also have a ton of prospects they could flip to make a hard run in the playoffs
Closed Thread