Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #21
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
This might sound cruel or strange but for all you people who view these types of terrible injuries as the calling for the end to fighting as a part of the game, would you say the same thing about boxing or UFC? Aren’t these injuries occurring in those sports? What about football? Rugby?
Yes, yes, and ... maybe. Society should move past the idea that two people attempting to injure each other counts as a "sport." It's got a veneer of sport around it -- training, rules, techniques -- but ultimately it comes down to who's better at hurting the other guy (within the rules). Plenty of other sports evolved from their primal "kill something" origins...but I don't see how boxing & UFC can do that.

As a fan of (crappy Canadian) football, that one's tougher for me. When done cleanly, it's a beautiful game to watch. When done recklessly, the injuries are as devastating and pointless as the face-punching we're debating. And unfortunately, there's evidence that even "clean" play causes cumulative effects, so it's not as simple as cracking down on dirty plays. I don't want to see hitting & tackling gone, but we may be going that direction too.

NHL, NFL, CFL are all facing a big choice. At the very least, if they crack down on the wanton, intent-to-injure type of plays, they may survive... despite the inherent risks of playing a collision sport. Or they can ignore it, and pretend that hurting the opponent is part of the game, and die out ...
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:27 AM   #22
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest thing I took away from this is how easily doctors are prescribing stuff, and one can assume that they know exactly what they are doing. Their mandate just seems to get that player back in the lineup, rather than make sure that they are 'doing no harm'. These doctors are vile human beings, and they should have their medical licenses revoked at the very least. The NHL - including the NHLPA - need to take a long look at themselves and all their procedures, so that they not only help people like Johnson, but actually prevent stuff like this from occurring. What they seem to be doing in many cases is encouraging these players to hurt themselves and ruin their lives.

The NHL and NHLPA need to get their heads out of their asses and fix what seems to be such a poorly implemented health and safety policy. They are employing doctors that are seemingly willfully causing harm, the teams (from what I understand in the past at least) are putting pressure on these doctors to get their players back in the lineup too quickly.

This isn't a 'anti-fighting' article to me. This is much more basic to that. This is about how the NHL and NHLPA are seemingly unwilling to fix what has been proven to be such a common and widespread issue in the NHL.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:12 AM   #23
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Story's like this is why guys like our own big ern are important, millions of dollars, head injury's and drugs/alcohol are a bad mix
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #24
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
This might sound cruel or strange but for all you people who view these types of terrible injuries as the calling for the end to fighting as a part of the game, would you say the same thing about boxing or UFC? Aren’t these injuries occurring in those sports? What about football? Rugby?

I’m honestly asking. Because I think that an unnecessary evil of contact sports are injuries. I think injuries can be very serious and even risk death. Look at NASCAR or bobsledding. We try to make sports and competition as safe as possible but it’s not possible to prevent every single circumstance.

So then really it comes down to is fighting a part of the game? And I think it is, and has been for decades, and I think it does have a place. Also, hitting has a place. But the game is changing (for the worse in my opinion) to try and reduce or eliminate the physical nature of the sport.

I dunno maybe I’m wrong and a Neanderthal, but people sign up for this. I believe that they do understand the risks don’t they? I’m not sure that really makes anyone feel better but I’m also not sure why one tragedy must mean the game must change forever.

And I mean this post with as much possible respect to this family and this poor dude. What he went through (is going through?) is truly, really awful. Was it worth it for a few fans to watch some fights? Maybe not but did we all know this would happen? No. How many fights and such have happened over the years where this has not happened? What are the risks and percentages of injury really? I dunno.
Even in regulated MMA - guys get medical suspensions. You don't see guys fighting twice a week or 5 times in a month in regulated MMA. They give their bodies and brains a chance to rest. These enforcers were fighting more times in a six month period than MMA fighters do in a 10 year career.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #25
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't think fighting will be eliminated from the game anytime soon. But there could be rules about fighting that could make it safer. I've been a combative sports official for quite a while and the biggest difference between ring fighting and hockey fighting is the grabbing of the jersey. If hockey fighters just squared off and fought without holding on and pulling the head towards the punch, the blows would be lessened. It would also minimize being pulled to the ice where a lot of head trauma occurs.

Once a fighter goes down or takes a knee, the fight would be considered over and any further altercation would be penalized above and beyond.

You could add a 5 minute major for holding if you threw a punch while grabbing the jersey or equipment of the other participant.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #26
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember Matt Johnson well. He was a guy that McCarthy watched and treated differently than other fighters. That Beukeboom punch was awful and career ender. Hope they find him and get him some help.

I know my thoughts on this issue changed considerably when Bob Probert's brain results were revealed. It blew me away. When the guy who won most of his fights had severe damage, imagine the guys who weren't on the winning side. Scary.

One question i'd like to see addressed is to examine whether the condition extends beyond fighters. Are role players also seeing damage from day after day body checking? I hope that there is a study into that as well.

Last edited by killer_carlson; 12-14-2017 at 09:14 AM.
killer_carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #27
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

bump

Quote:
Former National Hockey League enforcer Matt Johnson is in a California jail, charged with felony vandalism following an alleged incident on New Year’s Eve.
Johnson was arrested at 6:48 a.m. PT on Dec. 31 by Santa Monica Police Department officers and has been in a Los Angeles jail since then, Santa Monica Police Lieutenant Saul Rodriguez told TSN in an interview.

He said Johnson was arrested after allegedly causing $1,900 worth of damage to a Denny’s restaurant early in the morning on Dec. 31.
https://www.tsn.ca/matt-johnson-jail...geles-1.965368
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #28
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
good in a way. maybe he can be convinced to now get some help.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #29
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

$1900 in damage to a Dennys? So its basically torn down then.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #30
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I remember Matt Johnson well. He was a guy that McCarthy watched and treated differently than other fighters. That Beukeboom punch was awful and career ender. Hope they find him and get him some help.

I know my thoughts on this issue changed considerably when Bob Probert's brain results were revealed. It blew me away. When the guy who won most of his fights had severe damage, imagine the guys who weren't on the winning side. Scary.

One question i'd like to see addressed is to examine whether the condition extends beyond fighters. Are role players also seeing damage from day after day body checking? I hope that there is a study into that as well.
Do you mean Darren McCarty? How did he treat him differently?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #31
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sandy McCarthy. There were very few fighters McCarthy would be cautious with, but Johnson was one. He would only tangle with Johnson if they were both fresh on the ice or if McCarthy was more fresh. McCarthy would accept an offer if Johnson was fresh and McCarthy was mid shift.