Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:
Question You be the judge of the incident

Adult Rangers fans steals ball from 3 year old kid

Quote:
Jimmy Trania of Sports Illustrated just tweeted out this video that depicts a pair of people who are among the worst kind of fans at a baseball game: adults who go crazy over balls into the stands, and deprive children of a fun moment.

Really? I mean, really? The young child is bawling his eyes out while his parents (or siblings, whatever) try to console him, and you're sitting there laughing because you got the ball and he didn't? The subsequent replay showing the grown adult laughing about getting the ball that was clearly intended for the child is just pathetic.

If the fans involved were frat boy/valley girl types, maybe I could understand the behavior a little bit. But the man involved is clearly up there in years, and really should know better. He was probably showing off to his younger female companion trying to gain some man-cred or something.

Have no fear though, fans. Traina later tweeted that another fan (not those fans...another one) ended up giving the child a ball. Thank god for that. Let this be a lesson to all fans out there: if you're an adult and you're going to scrape and claw for a foul ball, at least give it to a child afterwards.
http://www.yardbarker.com/author/art...=mb_main_col_8

Insensitive Rangers fans want an apology:

Quote:
"My fiance Shannon and I were honestly unaware of the situation of the little boy sitting next to us last night since we were so caught up in the excited and moment of being at our first Ranger's baseball game together," he wrote in a statement.

They said it has been difficult being vilified by the now-viral video.

"It's very hurtful, especially when you know you wouldn't intentionally hurt somebody or hurt their feelings," Moore said. "Especially when it's a little-bitty toddler."

All was good by the end of the night, though. Someone tossed a ball to the boy from the Rangers dugout, so he went home with his own keepsake. Leonard said in the statement he offered the ball to the child after the ball was thrown from the dugout.

"The irony of the situation is, had we seen that he was upset and known for an instant, there's not a person that knows us that wouldn't agree that we would have given the ball to the child," Leonard said.

Leonard and Moore would like an apology from Michael Kay, the Yankees play-by-play announcer who insinuated that they were being insensitive to the little boy.

"He took an event and sensationalized it, threw it out there, never checked or validated the facts," Leonard said.

They said their phones are ringing off the hook, and the whole ordeal has made their lives miserable Thursday, but they do have something to look forward to.
http://www.yardbarker.com/author/art...=mb_main_col_8
Old 04-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I am sorry, you don't hear the kid crying next to you, that wasn't crying prior to this?

When a kid is crying it is kind of hard to miss... they are loud as ####.

Foul on the man.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

It does look bad, but there is an element of doubt there. It is possible that they were unaware of the child's distress.

The most sickening part of the first clip and where there is no element of doubt is where that sick bitch actually wrestled the ball from the little girl.

What a bitch!
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I watched that game - and they showed the couple more than a few times. They obviously knew that the kid was crying and they were trying to avoid looking at him. Even my wife called them out on it - and she HATES Michael Kay
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

so we are teaching kids that all you have to do is cry and you get stuff given to you?
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

wtf? I feel bad for the adults here. I don't give a FATA about crying little hell hounds, or why they're crying. They obviously didn't see this little brat and they were just living their lives. Now they're evil because some stupid whiny kid cried until he got a ball??
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
wtf? I feel bad for the adults here. I don't give a FATA about crying little hell hounds, or why they're crying. They obviously didn't see this little brat and they were just living their lives. Now they're evil because some stupid whiny kid cried until he got a ball??
Crying little hell hounds? Dear god....
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_1987 View Post
Crying little hell hounds? Dear god....
Oh I'm sorry let me correct myself.. "All children are gods little miracles"
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

Quote:
Little brat? Hell hound? Look how freaking young the kid is, how can you have a reaction spewing that much venom towards a little kid? This clearly seems like it's something a little more deep seeded with you
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flames_1987 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

omg!! im spewing venom!! next thing you know ill making youtube videos with rants about how stupid the kid is. relax there friend its the internet. this isn't a tribunal
Old 04-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
How could you not hear the crying? They were sitting right next to the family. All they had to do is admit they didn't want to give the toddler the ball, but no, they had to give a long phony song and dance apology. Even more funny is them asking for an apology from the TV announcer. I have zero sympathy for them.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the Jays game they showed a 10ish year old who got two balls during the game go and give one to a 7ish year old.

Adults getting excited over a ball is fine for about 15 seconds. Then you give it to a kid!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason14h View Post
in the jays game they showed a 10ish year old who got two balls during the game go and give one to a 7ish year old.

Adults getting excited over a ball is fine for about 15 seconds. Then you give it to a little brat or hell hound!
fyp
Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
so we are teaching kids that all you have to do is cry and you get stuff given to you?
Baseball game fan etiquette. The younger you are, the more you deserve the ball. I've been to next to no baseball games and I know that.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I think it's hard for us, sitting at home, watching video clips to determine if not giving the ball to the kid was intentional or if it was simply unnoticed.

That game in Rangers Ballpark was a sellout, so you have a loud 47,000+ crowd, could the toddler's cries gone unnoticed? Possibly.

While I won't comment one way or the other on this particular incident, I will say this. I've been to 6 MLB games in my life, each game I was at I'd scan the section where I'm seated for two reasons:

1 - determine my odds of catching a ball
2 - see if there are any little kids around

If there are kids around I'd make mental note of who to give the ball to. I'm a baseball attendee novice, but that just seems like the right thing to do.

Then again, if you're just there because your company gave you tickets, perhaps this never crosses your mind.

I don't think it's fair for us to judge. The kid got a ball, love that the team did that and the couple seem apologetic.

As for the wanting an apology from the YES guys, perhaps it's warranted (they didn't seem to be taunting like they said) but it does seem petty to be requesting it in public.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let me guess, you're 14 and have no children yet?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #17
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Let me guess, you're 14 and have no children yet?
I'm not even going to bother answering that question. Lots of people of various ages have differing views on OTHER peoples children.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not even going to bother answering that question. Lots of people of various ages have differing views on OTHER peoples children.
If you had kids you would have understood what was going on. That 3 year old behaved no differently than most kids his age.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

While I agree that you should not give a crying child what they want 100% time, I think this is a different situation. It's probably the kid's first time at a game and would probably keep the baseball for the rest of his life and have fond memories whenever he looked at it. The parents probably built up the excitement of the game, including telling him that he might catch a ball. No wonder he was upset.

The engaged couple will most likely be divorced in the next 5 years, resulting in the baseball being thrown in the trash. If I saw this behaviour from my future wife, that would be a huge red flag.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to normtwofinger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but not all of them act like little brats when expressing them, which is the course you chose.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote