Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #21
FlamesAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It's funny that you bumped this. It reminded me that Serenity is playing at Chinook tomorrow and I think I'm going to see it.
Whaaaat?? What's the occasion? I went to a screening early this year (or maybe last) I believe for the Great Digital Film Festival but I'm pretty sure that's not what this is for.

Thanks for the heads up though. Might have to head on down myself. 7:00pm for anyone else interested!

To the original bump post, I think I read something about that. The director is a big fan and the original reference actually named the show or something. I believe Nathan Fillion changed it around a bit though to what it is now. Either way, can add another Firefly reference to the ever growing list
Old 08-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I really enjoy everything that Fillion does because he just does a solid job.

People forget that he played a incredibly creepy villian in the last year of Buffy

Quote:
"Now it's a simple story -- stop me if you've heard it. I have found and truly believe that there's nothing so bad it cannot be made better with a story. And this one's got a happy ending. There once was a woman, and she was foul, like all women. For Adam's rib was dirty, just like Adam himself, for what was he but human? But this woman, she was filled... with darkness, despair, and why? Because she did not know. She could not see. She didn't know the good news, the glory that was coming. That'd be you. For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours. Now and forever. You show up, they'll get in line. Because they followed her, now all they have to do is take one more step, and I'll kill them all. See? I told you it had a happy ending"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #23
FlamesAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Serenity was sold out at least an hour before the show tonight! Lineup looked like a Friday on opening weekend as well. Somewhat disappointed but still pleased to see the turnout it still gets. Should have known!

9:30pm next Wednesday at Chinook as well incase anyone else wants to see it. I will be getting advance tickets this time..
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #24
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAllTheWay View Post
Serenity was sold out at least an hour before the show tonight! Lineup looked like a Friday on opening weekend as well. Somewhat disappointed but still pleased to see the turnout it still gets. Should have known!

9:30pm next Wednesday at Chinook as well incase anyone else wants to see it. I will be getting advance tickets this time..
Ticket guy told me it was sold out last week!
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #25
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's crazy. I saw it at Chinook last spring and it was a decent crowd but we were a couple minutes late and no where near a sell out.

Just make another movie already, it would be a huge opening weekend to say the least. The audience for this franchise has only grown each year since the last movie was out.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #26
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Wow, I'm glad I didn't go then. Too bad there weren't lines like that when the movie opened. We might have gotten more Firefly.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #27
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything that gives us more Morena Baccarin is alright with me.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #28
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Wow, I'm glad I didn't go then. Too bad there weren't lines like that when the movie opened. We might have gotten more Firefly.
I didn't even know about it until about two years after it was in theaters. I picked up a previously-viewed copy of Serenity for 5 bucks at Rogers Video. Thought "looks neat, for 5 bucks can't go wrong", then found out about the TV show, picked up the DVD's about a week later.

I lent out my Firefly dvd's to a friend, who lent it to his brother, who lent it to their dad, who lent it to a friend etc etc. I got it back eventually and then gave it out again. Eventually just bought another set of it.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #29
FlamesAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I didn't even know about it until about two years after it was in theaters. I picked up a previously-viewed copy of Serenity for 5 bucks at Rogers Video. Thought "looks neat, for 5 bucks can't go wrong", then found out about the TV show, picked up the DVD's about a week later.
I was a little late to the game myself. Watched Serenity a few years after theatres and enjoyed it before knowing about Firefly. Then watched Serenity again after watching Firefly and it obviously took on a whole different meaning.

I can certainly appreciate how well and how hard it must have been trying to write a movie that wraps up a shortened TV series while leaving room for a possible sequel, but then also attempting to draw in totally new fans.

Quote:
I lent out my Firefly dvd's to a friend, who lent it to his brother, who lent it to their dad, who lent it to a friend etc etc. I got it back eventually and then gave it out again. Eventually just bought another set of it.
I am proud to say I've also recruited a few people, intentionally and then inadvertently (friend heard me talking about it and thought it was stupid. Then watched it and loved it haha). At least there's Netflix out there to help us all now!

Side note - I find it hard to believe the president of Netflix can come out and say that while the small but loyal Firefly fan base has remained quite active and vocal, the overall fan base has been shrinking. From all I've read and witnessed the fan base has done nothing but grow as more people become aware of the series.

I'm sure Joss Whedon's new found Avengers fame doesn't hurt either.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #30
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ashamed to say I thoroughly enjoyed this series. Like everyone I got hooked on the movie and then went through the TV series. It's been a while since we've had a quality sci-fi TV series.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #31
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Ashamed to say I thoroughly enjoyed this series.
???
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #32
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
???
It was a spaghetti western in outer space. But it just worked. It's goofy and great all at the same time.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #33
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was a spaghetti western in outer space. But it just worked. It's goofy and great all at the same time.
I still have no idea why you would be ashamed for enjoying one of the greatest series to ever grace the small-screen.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #34
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

The title of this thread got me seriously disappointed. Also, WTF is up with being ashamed to admit you like Firefly? Are you sure you aren't thinking of My Little Pony?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple months ago I was in Futureshop and picked up the bluray for firefly for cheap (for when I do a holiday firefly marathon I now don't have to get up to swtich the DVD's as much). I haven't gotten around to watching it yet so I don't know if there are any new special features. The show just makes me happy.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #36
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not sure if I can put this here but I've got two tickets for tonight's August 21 showing of Serenity at Chinook mall at 9:30 available for sale. I can email the booking id to whoever wants it. 2 x $6. Prefer payment by Paypal. Show is sold out. Thanks.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #37
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ashamed to say I thoroughly enjoyed this series. Like everyone I got hooked on the movie and then went through the TV series. It's been a while since we've had a quality sci-fi TV series.
Guess I am not everyone.
I watched the TV show first, then the movie.

Got lucky was just flipping channels and caught it just starting.

Group of eight girls was camping next to us in Revelstoke last weekend and one of them had a bumper sticker ribbon thing on her car. But it was brown, and said "Browncoats" on it. End of cool story.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #38
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Firefly, the board game:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...refly-the-game

In Firefly: The Game – based on the popular Firefly television series created by Joss Whedon – players captain their own Firefly-class transport ship, traveling the 'Verse with a handpicked crew of fighters, mechanics and other travelers. As a captain desperate for work, players are compelled to take on any job — so long as it pays. Double-dealing employers, heavy-handed Alliance patrols, and marauding Reavers are all in a day's work for a ship's captain at the edge of the 'Verse. Firefly: The Game is a high-end thematic tabletop boardgame from Gale Force Nine (GF9) and the first in a series of tabletop hobby board games and miniatures games from GF9 set in the Firefly Universe.

Firefly the Board Game a Smash Hit at Gen Con!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/3...hit-at-gen-con

Last edited by troutman; 08-21-2013 at 01:15 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #39
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember the hype for the series when it premiered. I watched the first episode and said, "Meh".

Then a couple years later I read people raving about the series and how the premier was not the one Joss wanted. So I gave it another chance and was overwhelmed with how well it developed. I still think Train Job was the weakest episode of the series.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #40
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I remember the hype for the series when it premiered. I watched the first episode and said, "Meh".

Then a couple years later I read people raving about the series and how the premier was not the one Joss wanted. So I gave it another chance and was overwhelmed with how well it developed. I still think Train Job was the weakest episode of the series.
Fox really screwed the pooch airing that as the first episode.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote