Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #21
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I would be overjoyed if this happened. I have practically worn out my AD dvds, a movie would be fantastic.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #22
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
As long as it's better than Bender's Big Score.
Ugh, no kidding. What a letdown.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #23
Staypuft
Self Imposed Ban

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Ugh, no kidding. What a letdown.
I thought the movie was fine.
Some really clever stuff and fresh material, which we were lucky to get in the first place.
Unfortunately it suffered from the same thing the Simpsons movie suffered from, which was that it lagged bigtime in the 2nd half.
Staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #24
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, I guess I'll further derail the thread and explain my thoughts on Bender's Big Score. There were some wonderful storylines, some silly ones, but it was so obviously just a mashup of these episodes. The narwhale storyline was brilliant for example, and most of the Fry/Leela stuff was strong, Bender going back in time had potential, but a lot of the stuff with the nudist scammers was really stupid and annoying, I thought. Same with the way Santa Claus was used. I find that with Futurama, they do one crap episode for every five good episodes, but mashed up, that crap episode was bringing the whole movie down.

Anyway, it's relevance to Arrested Development is that so much of AD's brilliance is in its episodic form. It'll be a challenge for them to apply that to a movie. I've got a lot of confidence in the Arrested Development writers, but then I had a lot of faith in the futurama writers.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #25
Rhetts_the_Best
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would be so happy, pleeeeeese oh pleeeese let there be a movie
Rhetts_the_Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Bateman confirms movie in the works:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_109165.html

Hilarious Jason Bateman, he of "Arrested Development" and the impending Will Smith blockbuster "Hancock" joined "dear friend" Keith Olbermann as the #1 story on "Countdown" Tuesday night. They talked about working with Will Smith and the joy of just getting paid. More surprising was a guest appearance by David Cross and a confirmation of the "Arrested Development" movie. Says Bateman, "It's in the works." And then Keith asked for a role.

Last edited by troutman; 06-26-2008 at 09:32 AM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #27
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

There's going to be a lot of hype for this. I hope it lives up to the series, or tops it.

My expectations are already high.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #28
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
There's going to be a lot of hype for this. I hope it lives up to the series, or tops it.

My expectations are already high.
I really believe that it will met everyone’s expectations no matter how high

If you think about it AD would work perfectly as a movie, as most fans of the show know you have to be really engaged in the series in order to get everything that is going on (which was part of it’s down fall). Even if you missed 30 seconds of one episode you could have missed out on a joke or a line that will reoccur later on in the series. That’s why a movie is perfect; you can’t help but be engaged and pick up on every little detail. So even your causal movie-goer can pick up on the discrete humor that probably escaped them when they tired to watch the show, Also Mitchell Hurwitz is too brilliant to not make a fantastic film.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #29
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree.

I'm going to have to re-watch the entire AD series, because seeing even a couple of re-runs on CBC, I've noticed that I initially missed a ton of jokes.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #30
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
I really believe that it will met everyone’s expectations no matter how high

If you think about it AD would work perfectly as a movie, as most fans of the show know you have to be really engaged in the series in order to get everything that is going on (which was part of it’s down fall). Even if you missed 30 seconds of one episode you could have missed out on a joke or a line that will reoccur later on in the series. That’s why a movie is perfect; you can’t help but be engaged and pick up on every little detail. So even your causal movie-goer can pick up on the discrete humor that probably escaped them when they tired to watch the show, Also Mitchell Hurwitz is too brilliant to not make a fantastic film.
I am not sure I entirely agree with you. I agree there are layers to the show and since the show moves quickly, you can actually miss quite a bit, as you have said. But also, as you have said, that was part of the shows downfall. There were lots of people that complained that too much happened in too little time and that turned people off. I don't see how that is now a positive working in their favour with a full length movie. If it went over peoples heads at half an hour, how are they going to be able to keep up with a full length flick? Are they going to slow down the tempo of the story, because they now have more time to develop the story? Will it not be as layered as the show? I don't know, just talkin' out loud now...

I am sure I will enjoy it, as I love Bateman and Arnett and Cross and Hurwitz, but they do have a lot to live up to now.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #31
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

How will it work without the bleep?

The way they used that was hilarious to me. I find it funnier to hear the censor than the actual word(s).

Example: Buster's tirade against Lucille when everyone else was making comments.

I wish I had a brother so I could go up to him and say "Haay brother"

Also.. I just put The Final Countdown on my iPhone for my ringtone.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #32
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post

The way they used that was hilarious to me. I find it funnier to hear the censor than the actual word(s).

Example: Buster's tirade against Lucille when everyone else was making comments.

Don’t forget Gobs sexual harassment speech

Gob: And please refrain from discussing or engaging in any sort of inter-office *BLEEP*ing, or *BLEEP*ing, or finger-*BLEEP*ing, or *BLEEP*ing or *BLEEP*ing, or even BLEEP, even though so many people in this office are begging for it. And if anybody does anything with my sister Lindsay, I'll take off my pants, I'll shave my BLEEP, and I'll personally BLEEP.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #33
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post

Ha ha...me too! I have a friend who looks like Gob so I set it to ring when he calls...
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #34
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Yeah, I also liked how they found ways to block the persons mouth when they swore. Like when Gob was talking about his Christian girlfriend and how he was trying to get her to renounce God and BLEEP him, Michael moves into the frame and blocks his face. I loved that stuff.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #35
kermitology

Exp:

I honestly think it would be funnier with the censorship.. I'm showing the series to my girlfriend who has never seen it.. She's loving it. I'm loving it.

GOB trying to go up a pile of dirt on his segway.. Tobias trying to shoot the mice while Lindsey steals clothes.. the Hot Cops.. What a funny show.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #36
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Prediction: This would be one of the best comedy/satirical movies ever IMO.
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #37
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure they'll find a way to brilliantly work that sensorship or lack of sensorship into the movie; nobody does the metajoke better than them. All the little details like the narrator's contempt for the scandal-makers narrator, the boom mic dropping into frame when Bob Loblaw says that someone in the room could be wearing a wire, or the whole bit about having to blur Andy Richter's brother's face ("though we can't show him, composite photography suggests that he might look something like this.")
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #38
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Nevernude.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #39
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
All the little details like the narrator's contempt for the scandal-makers narrator, the boom mic dropping into frame when Bob Loblaw says that someone in the room could be wearing a wire
That's hilarious.. I never noticed that one.

You sir, are a mouthful.

My favourite little line was the dig at FOX in season 2.

Micheal: "What do you mean you're cutting the order from 22 to 18? We already have the plans for 18!"

Narrator: "Well, they didn't.. but they could have!"
Old 06-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #40
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gob: "I hear the jury is still out on science."
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote