Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Thumbs up Book of Mormon Sept 11-16th 2018 @ Jubilee Auditorium

Anyone else going?

I've checked the last few days and every once and a while some amazing floor seats pop up and then are sold within seconds. Otherwise it is basically insane re-sale prices or last 5 rows of the 2nd balcony.

I got desperate but luckily when they first went on sale the Amex exclusive tickets sold really slowly and that allowed me to snag a decent pair.

I saw it last time it was here and had a great time.

BUMP: It' is coming back this September.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 04-19-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #2
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw it last time and enjoyed it, but it wasn't as amazing as I expected. Perhaps because I'd heard so much over the top hype beforehand, there was no way for it to live up to expectations. I don't remember having problems getting tickets, but I think we may have got them on the presale on my friend's American Express.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I got tickets through my social club at work and am very much looking forward to the show. I've heard great things about it and this will my first time going to show like this and am not too sure what to expect.
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Saw it in Chicago a few years ago. Thought it was very good. There are no roll in floor laughing moments, but very funny. People going will enjoy it.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:23 AM   #5
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it last year and was lucky to pay face value on the secondary market. I highly recommend this. It was so funny. But if you're easily offended, some parts may be uncomfortable for you.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw it in New York and the last time it rolled through. I enjoyed it both times, but my only criticism is the jube is way to big. Probably 2.5 times the theater in new york so for me it lost a little going to a bigger venue.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw in New York with the original cast. Friggin hilarious.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it in Calgary last time it was here, I think row 12? Near the front, anyway. Not sure I'd want to be to far back. It is funny, but wasn't quite what I was expecting. An older couple walked out at the first intermission. I guess it wasn't what they were expecting either!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it last time it was here and loved it. It's exactly what you think it might be, a live south park episode. It's awesome.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yup, going, got tickets through my Broadway Across Canada subscription. Last time they came through, I couldn't get tickets in Calgary, so had to go up to Edmonton for a matinee and sit in the second balcony - can't wait to see it again!
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Saw it in NY, didn't love it and thought it was overrated

I think I was a case of me building up to much expectations for it as so many others seem to love it.

I love South Park.
I really enjoy Broadway shows
= I would be the perfect candidate to love this play (or so I assumed!)

It is crude as heck, and not just on the religion front. That didn't bug me so much but I could see why many may not like that. Never been a parent but I wouldn't bring my kid.

Last edited by Kavvy; 08-02-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #12
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Saw it in NY, didn't love it and thought it was overrated

I think I was a case of me building up to much expectations for it as so many others seem to love it.

I love South Park.
I really enjoy Broadway shows
= I would be the perfect candidate to love this play (or so I assumed!)

It is crude as heck, and not just on the religion front. That didn't bug me so much but I could see why many may not like that. Never been a parent but I wouldn't bring my kid.
Yeah, but that's what South Park is. Overly crude for the immature with smart, satirical subtext.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #13
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it last time as well, yeah we all enjoyed it. As mentioned, it's typical SP humour. I remember standing in the lobby beforehand, seeing a fair amount of senior citizens there and i wondered if they knew what they had signed up for.

Definitely crude at parts, I was telling a buddy about it afterwards and he seemed rather appalled at one of the songs I told him about, which surprised me (somehow he didn't know the play was done by Matt Stone/Trey Parker). Once he found out that it was, he just said "Ohhhh!" and started laughing. I guess they're at a point where they can get away with stuff most others wouldn't, based on what they're already known for.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Saw it last time as well, yeah we all enjoyed it. As mentioned, it's typical SP humour. I remember standing in the lobby beforehand, seeing a fair amount of senior citizens there and i wondered if they knew what they had signed up for.

Definitely crude at parts, I was telling a buddy about it afterwards and he seemed rather appalled at one of the songs I told him about, which surprised me (somehow he didn't know the play was done by Matt Stone/Trey Parker). Once he found out that it was, he just said "Ohhhh!" and started laughing. I guess they're at a point where they can get away with stuff most others wouldn't, based on what they're already known for.
Also, the format of a Broadway play gives them creative license to do/say pretty much whatever they want. No censors, no network execs telling them what they can and can't do, etc. So while the play can't really take violence and gross out humor much further, the language and the subject matter are free reign. I'd say it's a bit more unhinged than most SP from that perspective.