Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #21
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

38%
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah its been getting savaged in the reviews, with a lot of comparisons to a badly done Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm probably still going to go see it, because I love the idea of bad guys uniting as the core part of a movie, but I certainly won't go on opening weekend.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #23
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I can't disagree more. This is a comic book movie. Some degree of fun is required. All action movies, except maybe historical war movies, are ridiculous in their nature.

Was George Lazenby your favourite Bond?
I dunno....Putting "fun" in a comic book movie just for the sake of it is a huge mistake IMO. There are plenty of dark comic book movies that get by totally on storyline. Very dark examples would be "the Crow" or "the Watchmen". Less dark examples would be the Nolan Batman films.

The thing about "Fun" is that it only works with certain characters. Forcing non-fun characters to be fun by giving them "quips" is just intolerable. It works with Tony Stark or Peter Quill, but not with guys like Batman or Captain America. They can get away with the occasional dry remark, but anything more is just cringy.

The major flaw with the new DC movies so far is that they are trying to do too much. Adding in comedy into an already busy movie to lighten the tone is a mistake. If you want to make the movie better, you just need to simplify the story.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man you would hope with great characters like Harley Quinn and the Joker that DC could put on a good show but it seems like DC is incapable of rivalling Marvel who seem to be able to take lesser heroes like Ant Man and still do a better job than DC can handle it's best superheroes. I still stand by my opinion that this movie would have been better as a more mature R rated film.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #25
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah I'm going to ahead and guess that despite the good trailers, Wonder Woman and Justice League are going to suck too.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #26
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I dunno....Putting "fun" in a comic book movie just for the sake of it is a huge mistake IMO. There are plenty of dark comic book movies that get by totally on storyline. Very dark examples would be "the Crow" or "the Watchmen". Less dark examples would be the Nolan Batman films.

The thing about "Fun" is that it only works with certain characters. Forcing non-fun characters to be fun by giving them "quips" is just intolerable. It works with Tony Stark or Peter Quill, but not with guys like Batman or Captain America. They can get away with the occasional dry remark, but anything more is just cringy.

The major flaw with the new DC movies so far is that they are trying to do too much. Adding in comedy into an already busy movie to lighten the tone is a mistake. If you want to make the movie better, you just need to simplify the story.
See I think of it as taking the fun out, versus putting it in. The Dark Knight movies were good, but that's it. All the other dark superhero movies are dumb. I think the Dark Knight movies worked because they focused on a guy without powers and minimized the supernatural elements overall. However, no matter what the goth kids said, the Crow was stupid and I just didn't get Watchmen. They went on and on about how naked blueman got his powers, but never explained how other guys had superhuman speed or a magically changing mask. Also, was I really suppose to feel for the murdering rapists? I just can't take guys in costumes seriously.

You can go too far the other way (see Batman's 2 thru 4). Those ones forced the silliness. The good superhero movies have a balance.
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #27
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sitting at 37%. That explains why they embargoed reviews for so long. At what point does DC just stop trying?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #28
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Yeah I'm going to ahead and guess that despite the good trailers, Wonder Woman and Justice League are going to suck too.
Justice League is going to suck for sure. They are going to try so hard to force Aquaman into being cool and fail miserably. Plus no one is going to be surprised when Superman comes back from the dead. I'm still holding out hope for Wonder Woman. If they just copy Captain America they should be okay. The Batman assault on Arkham movie could be good if they just make it a pure action movie without any bruting.
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #29
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like the reviews from this guy most of the time. Decide for yourself.

Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #30
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Unfortunate, but not surprising. I guess some of the "SNYDER(S) IS(ARE) RUINING DC" can be removed now, or should we update it to "SNYDER(S) AND AYER ARE RUINING DC'.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #31
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
See I think of it as taking the fun out, versus putting it in. The Dark Knight movies were good, but that's it. All the other dark superhero movies are dumb. I think the Dark Knight movies worked because they focused on a guy without powers and minimized the supernatural elements overall. However, no matter what the goth kids said, the Crow was stupid and I just didn't get Watchmen. They went on and on about how naked blueman got his powers, but never explained how other guys had superhuman speed or a magically changing mask. Also, was I really suppose to feel for the murdering rapists? I just can't take guys in costumes seriously.

You can go too far the other way (see Batman's 2 thru 4). Those ones forced the silliness. The good superhero movies have a balance.
To each his own. I'm beginning to find this latest round of Marvel movies unwatchable and repetitive. Guardians was both great and fun, but that's what the source material lent itself too.

I think the issue I'm having is with hollywood's portrayal of the "comic book" movie. There's no such thing as a genre of "comic book". Comic books can come in ever genre. Just because a film was adapted from a comic book, that does not mean it has to always fit in the "fun" genre. I'd also being "fun" and lighthearted are not the same thing. For example, the fist Sin City was a lot of fun, but not anything remotely lighthearted. You can still have a fun movie without resorted to loads of quips.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #32
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy again on the weekend, and I wondered why they have even bothered to make more superhero movies.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #33
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
To each his own. I'm beginning to find this latest round of Marvel movies unwatchable and repetitive. Guardians was both great and fun, but that's what the source material lent itself too.
Fans of the Guardians comics before the movie routinely lament how the movie destroyed the characterizations of the characters they loved, and how the comics have changed to reflect the movies.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #34
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Watched Guardians of the Galaxy again on the weekend, and I wondered why they have even bothered to make more superhero movies.
It was a relatively obscure comic book that only ran for 25 issues between 2008 and 2010....unless you're talking about the 1960s version, which was an entirely different thing, in which case it was the new comic book that spoiled that first.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #35
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, I meant that I really liked it. It was well-scripted, and good.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #36
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, I'm talking about the new run. The 2008 series ran for 25 issues, and another started in 2013 that ran for 27 issues plus an annual. The movie came out midway through the second series.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #37
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

GotG was easily my favorite comic book movie ever. Didn't feel like a comic book movie though. More like an awesome space opera
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #38
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty disappointed if these early reviews hold true.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #39
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Guardians was excellent.

This looks just silly.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Guardians was excellent.

This looks just silly.
Really? Parts I have seen look really good. Which makes these early reviews all the more disappointing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote