Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #21
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm older than you guys so anyway...it was clearly Lollapalooza...

Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Jane's Addiction, NIN, RHCP, Ice-T, Primus... Bayside Park, Miami...

On the way home (around 1:30 AM) we stopped for gas and thought it odd that the gas station was so crowded. Figured it was just people doing what we were doing, people from the show.

Denny's in Ft Lauderdale was packed, we thought just people going North from the show.

Got home 3:30AM, put the TV on but immediately fell asleep.

Woke up at 5AM to see the evacuation order for Hurricane Andrew.

Things were so different back then.

That was THe End of the Innocence.

And Capn I didn't love Skid Row but they were fun to hang out with. That drummer was quite the drunk lol.

Last edited by missdpuck; 05-27-2012 at 04:12 PM.
missdpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #22
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Metallica – Wiltern Theater 2008 (Creeping Death, Fuel, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Welcome Home (Sanitarium) , …And Justice For All, Sad But True, Disposable Heroes, One, Master Of Puppets, Battery , Last Caress , No Remorse, Enter Sandman, Fight Fire With Fire (with RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS’ Flea), Seek and Destroy

Steve Earle – Royce Hall –UCLA 2008 – amazingly intimate setting for solo show – fantastic acoustics

Them Crooked Vultures – Club Nokia 2010 – JP Jones/Grohl/Homme – musicianship out the ying yang

The Tragically Hip – The Troubadour 2009 – seeing the Hip in a dive bar – what more needs to be said

Foo Fighters - LA Forum 2011 – amazing show – over 3 hours of non-stop rock n roll

Chris Cornell - John Anson Ford Theater 2011 – capacity about 1200 people – outdoor venue

Honorable Mention Alice Cooper/Rob Zombie Gibson Ampitheatre 2010

Last edited by socalwingfan; 05-31-2012 at 05:30 PM.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #23
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if I can even name 5 concerts I've been to.

1. Dr.Dre/Snoop Dogg/Eminem/Xzibit/WC/Mack 10- Up in smoke tour.

- ice cube wasn't at the Vancouver show. Back then I was into the marijuana smoking and normally finding it was easy, I remember for some reason my friend and I could not find any. However being at that concert we realized we didn't need our own. Best part though was the afterparty. I met Snoop Dogg, Devin the Dude and Knumskull.

- Garth Brooks

Kanye west-glow in the dark tour

-50 cent- he sucked.

I think that's it.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #24
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Folk Fest 2004-I went all four days with the student pass for $60. I think they still have this deal, but this was the only year I felt the lineup was good enough. Elvis Costello, Daniel Lanois, Al Stewart, Blue Rodeo, Ian Tyson, Buck 65, there were others, but I cant think of them offhand. I thought I was pretty cool on Sunday with all four bracelets.
The most memorable moment was when Al Stewart played Roads to Moscow. That is one epic song. I also remember everybody hating Jane Siberry and most of the guys leaving for the beer gardens when Annie diFranco played.

Virgin Fest Toronto 2007-Pushed my way to the front row to see the Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan was wearing knickers and stockings for some reason, so I yelled something about his outfit and he scoweled at me. It was awesome.
There were so many great bands those two days I cant even believe it, I wish I hadnt of spent half the time in the beer gardens so I could see more acts. Bjork was the best, and probably the best live performance and show I have ever seen.
The island is such an awesome venue too, you have to take the ferry to get there which is half the fun. Great views of the city.

The Northern Pikes at Coyotes, Stampede 2005. Maybe because it was my first 'adult' stampede experience, but I really enjoyed that show. The guitarist is amazing, lots of versatility.

I dont remember the date, but I saw Bob Wiseman at a gallery on 12 ave with like 15 other people. He played all sorts of wacky instruments. Amazing musician. After the show my friend asked him why he left Blue Rodeo and he pretty much said he disliked the two main guys in the band and that they were quite arrogant.

The Arctic Monkeys two weeks ago at the Saddledome. Blew the headliner out of the water, unfortunately only ~1000 people got to see it. Theres probably only two countries in the world where the Arctics have to open for someone, and Canada is one of those. Ive seen them three times now and they get better each time.

HM: Fred Eaglesmith at Ranchman's, Stampede 2010. Not the most polished act, but he puts on an interesting show.

The Worst-The Black Keys, two weeks ago, Saddledome. All the songs blended into one, even the ones I recognized from commercials. They werent horrible, just kinda boring, not much energy. Im not sure why they call themselves the Black Keys, when most of their songs would not require the use of black keys, but whatever.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #25
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1. Coldplay 2012 - I know i will get some flack but they were incredible, the music was great and the atmosphere was incredible, from the lasers to the props they used and the incredibly awesome glowing wristbands that lit up according to the song... just spectacular.

2. Elton John - 200(9)? - His 10 minute version of Rocket man sent shivers down my spine, he also had a lot of energy for an older gentleman.

3. Billy Joel - Had been a fan since i was probably 5, was awesome to hear all his hits live, his voice is still great.

Worst:

1. INXS 200(4)? - The lead singer was that guy from Rockstar INXS, had broken his leg, couldn't sing or move around the stage... just awful, the only good thing was Steve Sapp opening for him playing all his Creed music.

2. Peter Frampton 2011 - Normally the acoustics in the Jub are excellent, so i have no idea how they managed to #### this up, seriously couldnt hear any words he was speaking, it was so mumbled and awful i felt jyped, wanted to leave 30 minutes in it was so bad.
Lt.Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I much prefer smaller venues, where I can get right up to the stage.

Flaming Lips - Mac Hall
Ween - Flames Central
Raveonettes - Gateway
Modest Mouse - Mac Hall
The Wet Secrets - Broken City
Sugar - Commodore
Los Lobos - many times
TVOR - Mac Hall

Best big venue show - Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Saddledome
Prince
REM
Paul Simon

Last edited by troutman; 05-28-2012 at 10:39 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #27
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Saw Jack White last night. Pretty amazing show. He played a mix of stuff from all the bands he's played in. He is an insanely talented musician.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #28
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

*1. Bon Iver : last week
*2. Radiohead : The Comodore Ballroom July 1995
3. Beastie Boys : Maxbell May 1995
*4. Japandroids : (also PS I Love You & Frog Eyes) The Republik : October 2010
*5. Bruce Springsteen "The Rising tour" Saddledome : April 2003
6. Live "Selling the Drama tour" Veruca Salt opened : Salt Palace-July 1994
7. U2 : "Popmart Tour" Winnipeg Stadium : June 1997 : what a spectacle..
8. Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, The Breeders, Greenday etc. Lollapalooza 1994 : Surrey, BC
9. INXS : "Kick tour" Saddledome : May 1998
10. Arcade Fire : Stampeded Corral : September 2010
12. The Cult : Saddledome : December 1989 also saw them open for Metallica but this was a better show
13. Tragically Hip, Sheryl Crow, Wilco, Ron Sexsmith, Los Lobos, Ashley Macissac Camrose Fair Grounds : July 1997
*14. Hayden : Night Gallery : January 1995
15. Oasis with Ryan Adams opening : Saddledome : August 2008
16. Kings of Leon : Saddledome : August 2009
17. The Rural Alberta Advantage : Pepper Rabbit & Imaginary Cities opening : Royal Canadian Legion #1 : November 2010
18. Tragically Hip with Rheostatics opening : Saddledome November 1996
19. Tina Turner "Private Dancer tour" Saddledome September 1985 second concert ever...
*20. Platinum Blonde : Jubilee September 1985 First concert ever....

Heaviest weighting for concert that follows a great album and where the band basically plays the entire album which likely won't happen again. Also the smaller the venue the higher the weighting or the closer to the performance. Basically catching a band at or near their peak.

Bands that dissapointed or I had bad taste at the time

April Wine, Ugly Kid Joe, Tom Cochrane, Rod Stewart, Bette Midler, Roxette, Goo Goo Dolls, Treble Charger, Lisa Loeb, Sarah McLachlan, Shawn Colvin, Bush, Chantal Kreviazuk, Brooks & Dunn, Lonestar, Tim Mcgraw, Jessica Andrews, Shania Twain, Emerson Drive, Sam Roberts, Motely Crue, Metallica.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #29
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cant even remember half the shows Ive been to let alone pick the 5 best!

um lets see...one of the first shows I ever saw was:

Janis Joplin in 1970? in Calgary on the Festival Express Tour I think it was called? Grateful Dead were there and Bonnie and Delaney? I think the ticket cost $8 or $9 and I thought that was a lot LOL.

Deep Purple...many times but sometimes in the 70s when they were at their height...great gig.

As Dis said above Ive also seen Dave Matthews many times and LOVE his shows...going next weekend again in Toronto. He is one of the best performers you can see live.

Pink Floyd/Roger Waters - DSOTM and The Wall. Sheesh...just brilliant. Going to see Roger again in 3 weeks in Toronto.

LOVED seeing Jethro Tull live. He had absolute mastery over the crowd. Fantastic musicians and brilliant show.

Elton John...Watched him with a full band and solo, just him and his piano. Again..one of the all time best showmen.

KISS. I worked for Fire Productions in the 70s and introduced these guys on stage when they were first starting out. One of the first to introduce costume art on stage. Also introduced and met Boz Scaggs, Suzi Quatro and many others of the same ilk. Hazy days.

Queen. what can you say but...Freddie!

Honorables to U2, Tragically Hip (who always bring it), Springsteen, Bowie

soooooooooooooooo many more.

A few of the worst shows were:

T. Rex. Couldnt understand a damned thing he was singing. Was booed off the stage only to be rescued by the first show of Blue Oyster Cult. They were brilliant.
Joe Cocker. WOW was he drunk. Missed the first 3 songs before they carried him onstage. Should have just let him be behind stage, he was booed off as well. He made it up to me later on when he was sober.

Last edited by Cheese; 05-28-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #30
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

No explanation other than the fact that I love metal...no particular order. All shows in Calgary, except cKy; once in Calgary, Philadelphia, Grande Prairie.

Dimmu Borgir x 2
Children of Bodom x 4
Avenged Sevenfold x 4
lamb of god x 2
Satyricon
Pantera - 2001
Slipknot x 3
Stone Sour x 2
System of a Down x 2
cKy x 3

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if these are in any particular order, but here are 5 I really liked:

1. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (2008 in Calgary, 2010 in Vancouver). I liked the setlist better in Calgary but I was front on the floor in Vancouver, right in front of Mike Campbell.

2. Prince 2011, Save on Foods Arena Victoria - 90 minutes of just pure entertainment and musical brilliance

3. Michael Franti and Spearhead, 2007 Mac Hall - Giant dance party in Mac Hall. Franti had a tonne of energy and just pumped everyone up.

4. Metallica, Bonnaroo 2008. I had no expectations going into this show was blown away by how good it was.

5. Neil Young, 2008 Rogers Arena - Neil ripping his strings off the guitar and playing them against the pickup.

HM - Wilco (Royal Theater, 2010), Modest Mouse (Mac Hall, 2008), Gogol Bordello (Bonnaroo 2008), Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (Folkfest 2007), Neko Case (Folkfest 2007), The Hip, Taj Mahal/Blind Boys of Alabama (Jack Singer, 2007)

Disappointing - Roger Waters the Wall (2012, BC Place)

Worst - Kanye West (Bonnaroo 2008), Eric Clapton (Saddledome 2007)
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #32
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

1) Iron Maiden - Somewhere back in time tour (2008), Calgary
Epic show start to finish, I still get chills thinking about the scream in Number of the Beast. Plus the stage show & props were awesome too, perfect mix of 80's cheese & heavy metal swagger.

2) Foo Fighters - Summersault (2000), Winnipeg
One of those fantastic summer festivals, all the bands were great (besides Smashing Pumpkins who really phoned it in) & the weather was fantastic as well. Highlights of the set included Dave hopping on the drums for a cover of Have a Cigar, this was back in 2000 before he started drumming with QOTSA/NIN/Them Crooked Vultures so seeing the drummer from Nirvana behind the kit was pretty cool. At one point Dave Grohl was about 3-4 feet away from me with the garden hose spraying the sweaty crowd down.

3) Matthew Good - White Light Rock and Roll Review Tour (2004), Cowboys, Calgary
I had seen Matt Good/MGB probably 3-4 times before this show, but for some reason I'd always found myself distracted by other things & never really go into the show. Avalanche tour in Winnipeg I got there late & missed 1/2 his set. A few festival shows with MGB always seemed to get ruined by drunks and/or bad weather. But I finally managed to see a show with my full attention. The small venue combined with one of my favourite MG albums made for a great night.

4)Ozzy Osbourne (2002), Winnipeg Arena
I swear this tour occurred immediately before Ozzy went right off his rocker & become a bumbling TV dad & his spoiled family started pushing him out of the spot light. At this point he was still a great showman & Zakk Wylde was simply ON the whole night.

5)Nine Inch Nails, Lights in the sky (2008), Calgary, Saddle dome
Simply a great show start to finish, the production values were through the roof & the band was in perfect firing mode at the time. Look up any of the shows from this tour & everthing was alway clicking in perfect sync. Minus the screw up at the beginning of Echoplex which at least provided a bit of a laugh & showed the band was having fun on stage by this point.

Honour Mentions: Slayer last year at the dome (with Rob Zombie), probably the sweatiest, roughest I've gotten in a pit since highschool, but come on, it's freaking Slayer. Also Bloc Party at Mac Hall.

Most Disappointing(tie): Tool at the dome, Smashing Pumpkins in 2000

Last edited by Regular_John; 05-28-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #33
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm shocked The Hives haven't made anyone's list. When they came a few years back after the Black and White Album they blew the doors off of Mac Hall Ballroom. Hands down the best show I've ever seen. These dudes are the epitome of showmanship. When they did the full minute pause during "You Dress up for Armageddon", stood perfectly still the whole time and then brought the hammer down, everyone went nuts. If you ever get a chance to see these guys live, treat yourself.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
KPJ
Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #34
KPJ
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
I'm shocked The Hives haven't made anyone's list. When they came a few years back after the Black and White Album they blew the doors off of Mac Hall Ballroom. Hands down the best show I've ever seen. These dudes are the epitome of showmanship. When they did the full minute pause during "You Dress up for Armageddon", stood perfectly still the whole time and then brought the hammer down, everyone went nuts. If you ever get a chance to see these guys live, treat yourself.
I second that.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #35
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

1) 2011 - Apathy and Celph Titled - Great show, drove to Sask to see them. So much energy. Going to see them again in July in Calgary!
2) Aborted - 2006 - I knew all the words to the setlist, and got to yell into the mic with Sven. Awesome set.
3) Nevermore - 2005 - Awesome set, I knew all the words to their new album. Warrel commented on the fact it was great to see fans that new the lyrics, and then Loomis handed me his pick
4) Iron Maiden - 2008 - Somewhere back in time - incredible show
5) Metallic - 2004 - Saw them twice (once in March and once in May). Great shows, as well as the first big show I ever saw.

HM - Ill Bill, Necro, Dark Tranquility
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #36
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

#1 Iron Maiden - 2008 - Vancouver

#2 Beastie Boys - early 90's - Commodore ballroom- Check your head tour

#3 Janes Addiction late 90's - Vancouver

#4 Rage Against the machine - 90's - Vancouver

#5 2nd Lollapalooza tour - Vancouver - line up Red hot chillis, soundgarden, ice cube ect.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #37
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

damn, tough thread. So many shows. Here goes...

1. AC/DC - Who Made Who - 1986, Northlands Coliseum
I've loved them as far back as I can remember. Their music is not complicated. And neither are they. I've seen every tour since then and they NEVER disappoint. I just love their stage energy.

2. Metallica - hard to choose here, but I'll have to select the Load tour - 1996 -Saddledome. (I had 1st row) Unreal stage show, great setlist and fantastic seats.

3. Paul McCartney - 2005 US Tour - Seattle Key Arena
A Beatle. In his 60's. Kicking it for 3 hours on stage. Took my inlaws to this one, they've never stopped thanking me. Incredible songwriter.

4. Billy Idol - Devil's Playground 2005 - The Joint, Hard Rock Hotel Las Vegas, NV
I got tickets to this expecting to see a sad imitation of 80's nostalgia. What a happy surprise! Billy and Steve Stevens were awesome. Small venue, the whole band was into it. Anyone who saw the show at Fort Calgary a year or twp later knows what I am talking about.

5. Mark Knopfler - Kill to Get Crimson - 2007 - Jack Singer in Calgary
Telegraph Road. In it's entirety. That's all I need to say.

Honourable mentions:
Megadeth, Testament and Judas Priest in 1990. Alice in Chains opening for a ####ty Van Hagar in 1991. Any of the 5 times I've seen Motorhead, Elton John in Vegas.....
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #38
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
HM: Fred Eaglesmith at Ranchman's, Stampede 2010. Not the most polished act, but he puts on an interesting show.
Fred Eaglesmith always puts on a great show, although I miss him touring with Willie P Bennett. Those two were awesome together.

Which reminds me of a concert that I should have included in my list: Tom Russell with Andrew Hardin, performing at the East Longview Community Hall on Ian Tyson's birthday, about ten years ago. Of course, Tyson was there, being a long-time friend of Russell's, and got up to do a few songs with him. I've always really enjoyed Tom Russell's showmanship and Hardin's amazing musicianship, and throwing Ian Tyson into that mix made for a great evening.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #39
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

funny seeing The Cult on some "best" lists. They opened for someone in the 80's (AC/DC, I don't know, I mix up someof the shows). Astbury was so drunk, his mic stand was a crutch. Runner up to my other crappy show, Van Hagar where Eddie was blotto and Sammy lost his voice 3 songs in. Alice in Chains saved that one for me as they were awesome as the opener.

Still hard to believe that after 60+ shows, I've only seen 3 that were awful. Someone else listed KISS as an awesome show in 1985. That was my first show and it remains the worst. Kinsman Fieldhouse in Edmonton. Soundman needed to be flogged. I had no idea what songs they were playing. The sound was horrible.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #40
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^
Corb Lund is playing with Ian Tyson this July!
macker is offline   Reply With Quote