Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Equipment technology thread

This thread is for the advancements in technology in hockey equipment.

Brian's took a new approach to lacing goalie gloves with the new Boa system.

I use this system on my snowboard boots and it's pretty slick.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYOD7uAA2J7/

Last edited by bzoo02; 08-25-2017 at 08:55 AM.
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bzoo02 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've used the same on my cycling shoes for years. Very durable and provides consistent pressure across the entire lace bed. Interesting to see this technology come to skates. I remember tying my skates as a kid and having to use one of those lace pulling tools to get them tight enough on the first few crosses.

Only thing I could see being an issue is when players want varying degrees of tightness. The Boa system is pretty even pressure/tightness for the whole system whereas I like tight across the foot and lower ankle but loose to moderate near the top.

Edit: seeing this is for gloves which makes a whole lot more sense. Proly hasn't been adopted for skates because of the reasons mentioned above
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
I've used the same on my cycling shoes for years. Very durable and provides consistent pressure across the entire lace bed. Interesting to see this technology come to skates. I remember tying my skates as a kid and having to use one of those lace pulling tools to get them tight enough on the first few crosses.

Only thing I could see being an issue is when players want varying degrees of tightness. The Boa system is pretty even pressure/tightness for the whole system whereas I like tight across the foot and lower ankle but loose to moderate near the top.
I don't think it would hold up as laces on skates with blocking shots, etc.

This application on a goalie glove shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

wonder what the cost of that bad boy is? as blockers and catchers are close to a $1,000 for the closer tot eh top if the line stuff

I noticed via instagram that bauer or ccm has come out with a new stick that seemingly has some type of gel in the blade to help resist cracking or something - the evolution of the $400 hockey stick?
Old 08-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
Ullr
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think the problem for this could be if it takes a really good whack from a stick and it breaks during gameplay.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I recently used an old graphite shaft and wood blade on the ice, just for fun. A late 90's Easton Ultra-Lite. Thing felt like a 2x4 in my hands.

It's amazing to think that these were state of the art when they came out.

I'm going to bust out one of my old aluminums one of these days to see what its like. I bet its even more terrible.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #7
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
I think the problem for this could be if it takes a really good whack from a stick and it breaks during gameplay.
I've known cross-country mountain bikers that use Boa systems on their shows without issue (potential for snags, bashing off rocks etc.). The cord in that system is bomber solid. I doubt blunt force impact would do much to it at all. Still, a valid concern.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
I'm going to bust out one of my old aluminums one of these days to see what its like. I bet its even more terrible.
I remember when these came out. My brother and I both had one. I seem to recall liking the wood sticks better. The aluminum ones felt too rigid and hurty when you took slapshots.

Also, it wasn't until last year that I tried out one of those fancy schmancy composite sticks. Holy balls! What a difference from wood!

Old 08-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
I remember when these came out. My brother and I both had one. I seem to recall liking the wood sticks better. The aluminum ones felt too rigid and hurty when you took slapshots.

Also, it wasn't until last year that I tried out one of those fancy schmancy composite sticks. Holy balls! What a difference from wood!

Get one with a 65 flex and you'll crap your pants how good your wrister is.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzoo02 View Post
I don't think it would hold up as laces on skates with blocking shots, etc.

This application on a goalie glove shouldn't be a problem.
Well, those of you wanting to be on the cutting edge of technology and skate development can partake for $59, courtesy of Reebok. I didn't even know they made skates anymore, but hiding out at Canadian tire is the secret weapon. Feast your eyes

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #11
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Well, those of you wanting to be on the cutting edge of technology and skate development can partake for $59, courtesy of Reebok. I didn't even know they made skates anymore, but hiding out at Canadian tire is the secret weapon. Feast your eyes

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Those make my eyeballs bleed.
The Following User Says Thank You to bzoo02 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #12
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still waiting for a durable composite stick.

I almost want it just as bad for NHLers because it's so frustrating watching a play develop only to have it die when a guy's stick breaks.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #13
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, there have been skates with BOA laces for years - at least 15. I always figured they were crap because they never caught on.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #14
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'm still waiting for a durable composite stick.

I almost want it just as bad for NHLers because it's so frustrating watching a play develop only to have it die when a guy's stick breaks.
COLT hockey made one. I bought their first model but slowly started to really dislike it. The weight and feel of it really bothered me but I still have it and it is extremely durable.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #15
tknez16
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
COLT hockey made one. I bought their first model but slowly started to really dislike it. The weight and feel of it really bothered me but I still have it and it is extremely durable.
I had one too. It had a weird weight to it and I actually managed to snap the blade about a year into using it. Back to regular composites now as they usually last about as long for me.
tknez16 is offline   Reply With Quote