Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #541
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Twitter is a great platform. Just depends how it is used. I love it for breaking news, upcoming events, sports updates, comedy, links to interesting articles.

Blaming twitter for Trolls is like blaming telephones for prank calls.

Last edited by troutman; 07-21-2016 at 09:34 AM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #542
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
See this right here is the measuring stick we should be using. No GB film is ever going to live up to or surpass the original, but how does it compare to GB2?
Personally I liked GB2 almost as much as the first one, so doesn't really make much of a difference.

I guess I'll wait for some of my less fanboyish/girlish friends to see it make up my mind about seeing it. Although I generally avoid going to see reboots.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #543
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:36 PM   #544
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The original Ghostbusters to me felt more like a drama that was mildly funny, whereas this new one was a comedy that wasn't really funny. But I still enjoyed it.

It looked fantastic--I saw it in 3D, and I hate 3D. It was bright and colourful and the FX were top notch. Beyond that, Ghostbusters was fun and a bears a certain charm of its own if you're not hung up the role reversal themes which are quite in-your-face.

There was one line in the film, something like, 'you can't listen to what weirdoes on the internet say at 2:00 a.m.' which seemed to amuse me, and only me, at the showing I was at. I LOL'd. Clearly a dig at all the highly-publicized vitriol before the movie was even released.

I was reaallly hoping for a Rick Moranis cameo. I guess it's old news that he wasn't going to do it, but I try my best to avoid movie news before hand, and it was news to me.

Stupid light fun popcorn flick. 3/5 stars.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #545
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I enjoyed it, thought it was a fun action-comedy. The trailers actually seemed to have a lot of the worst moments, maybe those parts are just not my type of humour. Kate McKinnon and Chris Hemsworth both cracked me up a few times.

The audience seemed to be almost all women though.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #546
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Sony expects the move to lose at least $70 million, live action sequel unlikely:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-sequel-918515
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #547
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You've got to think that this is going to be damaging to Wig and MM,

For McCarthy outside of The Heat, she hasn't really drawn big box office, and there might be some fatique around her as a lead.

For Wig this was probably her last chance to really jump into the whole leading sought after actress role but her projects where she's a major character haven't gone well.

The only way I can see them doing a live action ghost busters cast is with a reboot with different less well known actors.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #548
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You've got to think that this is going to be damaging to Wig and MM,

For McCarthy outside of The Heat, she hasn't really drawn big box office, and there might be some fatique around her as a lead.

For Wig this was probably her last chance to really jump into the whole leading sought after actress role but her projects where she's a major character haven't gone well.

The only way I can see them doing a live action ghost busters cast is with a reboot with different less well known actors.
I don't necessarily disagree with your point, but Bridesmaids, however you feel about it or Wiig, was a huge hit.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #549
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with your point, but Bridesmaids, however you feel about it or Wiig, was a huge hit.
I keep hearing this but Bridesmaids is rated as worse than Batman vs. Superman on IMDB (6.8) and that was 5 years ago.

If she hasnt translated that 'huge success' (relatively speaking) into something by now it probably isnt going to happen.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:06 PM   #550
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I think he means it was a hit in terms of box office.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #551
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

$169 million, so definitely a hit in that regard. Ensemble cast though, no? So it isn't like McCarthy or Wiig had to carry the movie.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #552
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I keep hearing this but Bridesmaids is rated as worse than Batman vs. Superman on IMDB (6.8) and that was 5 years ago.

If she hasnt translated that 'huge success' (relatively speaking) into something by now it probably isnt going to happen.
I really liked Bridesmaids, and I have a weird crush on Kristen Wiig and Annie Momolo.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #553
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I looked at her actual twitter TL and it was... guess who... Milo Yiannopoulos again. Dude is like the internet troll king.

At which point some of his fans began faking tweets she didn't write to try to make her look like a homophobe...

The internet. It's the worst.
He's a pretty big troll, but let's not hold up Jones as some sort of saint either. Link
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #554
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Sony expects the move to lose at least $70 million, live action sequel unlikely:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-sequel-918515
That's actually not too bad and. As soon as it was announced you got the feeling this was not going to end well for Sony. It's an old movie that a few generations never saw or will get. All female main cast for a large budget movie is a huge crapshoot as well as a major departure from the original. There was a lot going against this movie from day one so losing $70 million isn't that bad when you consider there's been a lot of bombs this year in Alice Through the Looking Glass, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, The Finest Hours, etc, all lost considerable money. Really I don't understand why studios continue to try and bring back old hits as more than not they bomb. IMO what's really telling is that the movie wasn't terrible yet it still bombed. A lot of these remakes are pretty bad.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-12-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #555
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Really I don't understand why studios continue to try and bring back old hits as more than not they bomb.
Because movies based on original concepts have an even higher fail rate. With the 'open big or die' reality of the industry today, movies don't have time to generate word of mouth. So they rely on a premise and promotion that will put large numbers of bums in seats before anyone has seen it.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #556
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Because movies based on original concepts have an even higher fail rate. With the 'open big or die' reality of the industry today, movies don't have time to generate word of mouth. So they rely on a premise and promotion that will put large numbers of bums in seats before anyone has seen it.
My impression is that reboots tend to bring relatively reliable money in... What's the current word for "video release" these days? Post-theater?

I know I've watched a whole bunch of crappy remakes out of curiousity, but usually not in theater.

(Should probably stop doing that. Don't want to encourage them.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote