Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-21-2016, 04:16 PM   #61
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Simple is best!

Regular or lean beef, then take it out and form it lightly into a cylinder, so the long ground strands are pointed lengthwise along the column. Then cut it into patties, add salt/pepper and grill carefully. The result is a burger that is so tender as you bite in, due to the now short strands of ground beef.

I don't like when people mix and press it to crap, it becomes too dense.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #62
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Simple is best!

Regular or lean beef, then take it out and form it lightly into a cylinder, so the long ground strands are pointed lengthwise along the column. Then cut it into patties, add salt/pepper and grill carefully. The result is a burger that is so tender as you bite in, due to the now short strands of ground beef.

I don't like when people mix and press it to crap, it becomes too dense.
Interesting approach and I had never heard that. I always just mixed and pressed the beef although I always took care not to over-work the meat or to press it too densely. How well does the burger bind together if you have all or most of the meat strands running in the same direction? I would assume that the burger would have a tendency to fall apart on the grill.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #63
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Interesting approach and I had never heard that. I always just mixed and pressed the beef although I always took care not to over-work the meat or to press it too densely. How well does the burger bind together if you have all or most of the meat strands running in the same direction? I would assume that the burger would have a tendency to fall apart on the grill.
Might be talking about this method.

I don't have the patience to try something like that. Burgers should be nice and fast to make.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #64
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post

I don't have the patience to try something like that. Burgers should be nice and fast to make.
I decided to make burgers this way for dinner tonight to see if they are noticeable better. I'm just trying to decide if I should grill them or cook them on the flat top. As I expected, it feels like the patties won't hold together very well if I'm grilling them so flat top is probably better but that means slightly more cleaned afterwards.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #65
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I decided to make burgers this way for dinner tonight to see if they are noticeable better. I'm just trying to decide if I should grill them or cook them on the flat top. As I expected, it feels like the patties won't hold together very well if I'm grilling them so flat top is probably better but that means slightly more cleaned afterwards.
So? How did they turn out?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #66
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I sous vide then griddle my burgers in cast iron. You can make medium cooked burgers that way. Pro is the burgers are juicy, but a partial con is it focuses you the flavor of the meat since well cooked burgers have no meat taste.

So it ends up being a bit more expensive since you want good quality meat, and a good recipie with little filler. I love it though, such tasty burgers.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #67
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
So? How did they turn out?
It was better. Not something I would do every time I'm making burgers though.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #68
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post

Yea pretty much, having the burger formed so you are biting against the grain of the grind. So tender... And super easy. When you buy it from. The store, the strands are in a line already, so I just help it a bit to form a cylinder and cut.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote