Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2024, 07:51 PM   #141
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those 1sts won’t be very the Pacers are making the playoffs.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 08:04 PM   #142
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would rather have Mathurin or Nembhard instead of those 1sts
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:12 PM   #143
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I doubt they want to move a recent 6th overall pick, but I'm sure the Raptors would prefer that too.

In terms of what those picks could be...It's so tough to say.

If they all end up being their own 1st then it would be 24, 26, and 28 1st rounders...who knows what that Pacers team looks like in 2 or 4 years

The real question is if you'd rather have the picks or something like Kuminga, 1st, and Wiggins...and I think I might prefer that Warriors package over a pick 4 years from now.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-16-2024 at 10:31 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 04:45 AM   #144
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Well I doubt they want to move a recent 6th overall pick, but I'm sure the Raptors would prefer that too.

If they all end up being their own 1st then it would be 24, 26, and 28 1st rounders...who knows what that Pacers team looks like in 2 or 4 years

The real question is if you'd rather have the picks or something like Kuminga, 1st, and Wiggins...and I think I might prefer that Warriors package over a pick 4 years from now.
I’d prefer the Warriors package as well as any of those could be retraded for strong value too. But with respect to Indiana, I admittedly don’t follow them much so imagine one of those three firsts in the second or third year would be higher as I don’t think they’re the real deal. I just hope Masai doesn’t walk away if he doesn’t feel like he’s getting his desired value. He’s walked away from a lot in the past.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:11 AM   #145
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Lots of rumblings out there that the Warriors won't include Kuminga in a package.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:15 AM   #146
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Lots of rumblings out there that the Warriors won't include Kuminga in a package.
If I’m guessing, it’s posturing. They’ve through the years done whatever it takes to win and have effectively dealt away whomever needs to to continually win. Their team now looks like it’s aging a bit, so I can see why they need to get younger again, but they’ve always been in win now mode so I’m thinking they’re not changing anytime soon and want to push while they have Curry. They just don’t want to give up the kitchen sink in the pursuit of winning now.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:37 AM   #147
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Warriors are aging out now. They need young players. Trading Kuminga makes no sense for them, but Kerr has also not being playing him enough.

I think a coach firing comes before they trade Kuminga.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:22 PM   #148
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1747700060127977750
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:25 PM   #149
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you Spicy P. Top 5 Raptor all-time and never got the love he deserved IMO.

I don't love that deal, those picks will all probably be in the 20s. Wouldn't surprise me to see Masai package them for a player.

Last edited by mile; 01-17-2024 at 12:30 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 12:41 PM   #150
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I trust masai did his due diligence. I think the “lack” of return reflects what other GMs think of him. Great third option despite putting up big numbers. He can’t consistently lead you when you need it most. Akin to DeRozan. Generally the NBA pays big for perceived talent. So I’m surprised but not because I think of him as a great third option.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 12:52 PM   #151
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know NBA draft pick value but 3 1sts for a guy who might not sign with the Pacers seems really good.

Plus some bench bodies.

Seems like Brown might get flipped. And that Masai might use a 1st to get a player.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:58 PM   #152
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Don't know NBA draft pick value but 3 1sts for a guy who might not sign with the Pacers seems really good.

Plus some bench bodies.

Seems like Brown might get flipped. And that Masai might use a 1st to get a player.
Thing is, a non lottery first won’t bring back too much. Remember last year the Raps gave up a first for Poeltl. I don’t know what type of deal they can swing but if a deal is to be had I hope it’s this years’ crappy first.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:01 PM   #153
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1747703677815841181

Taking into account that 2024 is a bad draft class, I feel like the Pacers gave up nothing for a 2x All-NBA player. Got to keep all of their young first and second-year pieces too.

Siakam and Haliburton looks awesome.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:06 PM   #154
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

In any given draft how many players are actually good enough to make the NBA and even become average players?

Seems to me like it's by far the hardest league in NA to make. Teams have like 15 players on their roster, but only 10 of them would play somewhat regularly. There's a massive feeder system, but very limited job openings.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:11 PM   #155
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lewis JR. Might be the fastest floor runner I've ever seen. End to end in maybe 15 strides at full sprint.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:28 PM   #156
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

interesting article on Kira Lewis (who is also supposed to be part of this deal to the Raps?) in his draft yr (2020), but think he's injured now and Pelicans done with him...anyone with insight on the lad? https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/...fense-analysis
Old 01-17-2024, 01:30 PM   #157
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Those 1sts won’t be very the Pacers are making the playoffs.
@JLew1050
·
39m
One of the 2024 picks is Indiana's (currently in the 17-19 range). The other will be the worst of OKC/HOU/LAC/UTA, which will likely fall at the bottom of the 1st round (currently 27th).
Old 01-17-2024, 01:38 PM   #158
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
interesting article on Kira Lewis (who is also supposed to be part of this deal to the Raps?) in his draft yr (2020), but think he's injured now and Pelicans done with him...anyone with insight on the lad? https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/...fense-analysis
Sounds like raptors are taking a flyer on a back up point guard who's injuries have derailed things. But at 22 and how fast he is on the floor, if he can stay healthy there could be some upside. Kinda feels like a hockey equivalent of taking a chance on Nolan Patrick. Skills there, Body isn't.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:17 PM   #159
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Lewis pick up is interesting...

NBA trades are always hard to assess because draft picks have such weird value in the NBA. 3 1sts seems like a lot, but also are unlikely to amount to anything.

I think the other big thing is they don't take any real salary back, which longer term might have more value than the picks in the NBA.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:19 PM   #160
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting reading the reactions on here, cause the general social media consensus is the Raps won this trade. Feels like the notion of "low firsts" is misguided by the perception that the NBA is still what it was in 2006. We now routinely see mid to late first round picks turn into meaningful NBA players. Superstars? Not very often, but the Raps were never getting a superstar for Siakam on an expiring. They have a superstar, or at least superstar adjacent player in Barnes, so filling in around him with young quality is a good thing.

The only issue, I guess, is they didn't take this route last year. Siakam & OG with a year left are worth more, and obviously Fred gets something decent even on an expiring. But ignoring that, and just looking at the situation from December 30, I think they've done quite well.