Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-25-2024, 06:33 PM   #221
bluejays
Franchise Player
 
bluejays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Exp:
Default

lol. Leagues are so stupid when it comes to this stuff. I would "bet" that 95% of the league bets to some degree - whether that between themselves or officially on the books. So you have athletes who make crazy money and have so much they likely have a high propensity to gamble, yet you have rules about not gambling expecting them to adhere. Surely when a guy like Porter sees the chance to make a quick buck he'll do it, but man, it brings up the question about who is policing these things? He probably got someone to bet and they went overboard setting off alarm bells, or he's in the hands of someone he owes money to, but it still begs the question of how this is supposed to be policed when it's so easy to stay under the radar wager wise and still get someone to bet on your behalf.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:58 PM   #222
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player
 
Paulie Walnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Exp:
Default

So he scored 4 points and exited the game with fake injuries. They find out he’s had the highest wagers placed on him the next day.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:14 PM   #223
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

If your plan is to make a little extra cash constantly betting against yourself, you’re going to eventually screw yourself.

First of all, you’re going to suck. Good luck getting a new contract.

And if you try to bet any kind of volume, you will be sniffed out. With all the data analytic capabilities now, bets of any size on a particular player will be flagged.

It just doesn’t seem like a long term strategy. So Porter made a few extra thousand betting against himself? Now what?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:17 PM   #224
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player
 
Paulie Walnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If your plan is to make a little extra cash constantly betting against yourself, you’re going to eventually screw yourself.

First of all, you’re going to suck. Good luck getting a new contract.

And if you try to bet any kind of volume, you will be sniffed out. With all the data analytic capabilities now, bets of any size on a particular player will be flagged.

It just doesn’t seem like a long term strategy. So Porter made a few extra thousand betting against himself? Now what?
He is on a 2 way deal making 450k.

It’s easy to see how this would be flagged , do people bet on bums like this ?
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:24 PM   #225
bluejays
Franchise Player
 
bluejays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Exp:
Default

I'd like to see the video of the "eye injury" he re-aggravated.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:28 PM   #226
bluejays
Franchise Player
 
bluejays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Exp:
Default

There are so many degenerates gambling on random things. In baseball they have bets that I've seen where you can bet what the next pitch will be. Or the 67th pitch or whatever, if it'll be a strike, ball or whatever. It's the volume and circumstances that gave him away apparently. He was kinda sensible to get an injury to not go above the over, to not make an obvious thrown away play as the bar is low in his case, but man, imagine getting accused of this where there's reason? Guy must be ####ting bricks waiting for a verdict to come through. I truly feel bad for certain guys like this. Among multimillionaires all the time, but can't play in their pen. If he did it, he made a mistake. Hope the book isn't thrown at him.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:30 PM   #227
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player
 
Paulie Walnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Exp:
Default

He faked it.

Sounds like he told a bunch of people to bet on him. They said they never seen much action on an under.

That’s how the got tipped off. Who starts betting on Jontay Porter. What an idiot.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:38 PM   #228
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

We're still, relatively speaking, in the infancy of legal sports betting on a wide scale. In time organized crime will become very sophisticated on how to game the system with locked in spreads and prop bets. Just look at tennis betting over the years and how OC has been able to set up large scale betting rings.
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:52 PM   #229
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player
 
Paulie Walnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Exp:
Default

https://twitter.com/user/status/1772401414746050914

No wonder he was betting on 3s. He definitely was trying to brick that.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 11:57 AM   #230
octothorp
Franchise Player
 
octothorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: not lurking
Exp:
Default

I absolutely loathe the NBA embracing gambling the way they have, and especially prop betting... this always seemed like an inevitable outcome that it would happen at some point. NBA teams already do so many subtle injury-management related things behind the scenes... it's not unthinkable for a team (especially a tanking team like the Raptors) to say to Porter, 'yeah, we're going to play you a little tonight but if you're feeling that injury even a tiny bit, we're going to sit you', and for that player to mention that to someone in his entourage and say that he expects to only play a few minutes without thinking about the betting implications, and for that person to make a bet themselves or relay it to someone who's in the market for tips.

I'm not saying that happened here... Porter being knowing of it seems more likely, but I am saying the scenario above likely happens frequently already. I'd be shocked that this is the first time this has actually happened... Porter being a fringe-enough player that the betting patterns really stand out, plus the league being happy to make an example of him in a way that they wouldn't with a star player. Usually (like with drug-related offenses) the NBA has non-public warnings first because they are desperate to keep their image as clean as possible.

Hell, it wouldn't be hard for someone with the right connections to figure out many of the young women who are in the periphery of NBA player circles and are in that for their own financial self-interest, and make it known that you're in the market for any tips related to player availability and health and that you'll cut them in on any profit from successful tips.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 03:15 PM   #231
bluejays
Franchise Player
 
bluejays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
I absolutely loathe the NBA embracing gambling the way they have, and especially prop betting... this always seemed like an inevitable outcome that it would happen at some point. NBA teams already do so many subtle injury-management related things behind the scenes... it's not unthinkable for a team (especially a tanking team like the Raptors) to say to Porter, 'yeah, we're going to play you a little tonight but if you're feeling that injury even a tiny bit, we're going to sit you', and for that player to mention that to someone in his entourage and say that he expects to only play a few minutes without thinking about the betting implications, and for that person to make a bet themselves or relay it to someone who's in the market for tips.

I'm not saying that happened here... Porter being knowing of it seems more likely, but I am saying the scenario above likely happens frequently already. I'd be shocked that this is the first time this has actually happened... Porter being a fringe-enough player that the betting patterns really stand out, plus the league being happy to make an example of him in a way that they wouldn't with a star player. Usually (like with drug-related offenses) the NBA has non-public warnings first because they are desperate to keep their image as clean as possible.

Hell, it wouldn't be hard for someone with the right connections to figure out many of the young women who are in the periphery of NBA player circles and are in that for their own financial self-interest, and make it known that you're in the market for any tips related to player availability and health and that you'll cut them in on any profit from successful tips.
There’s only so much due diligence and monitoring that can take place, to take the counter argument. I also agree with you, but I guess to some degree they accepted they’ll punish perpetrators hard when caught, but there’s just too much money to miss out on.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:21 PM   #232
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

Malachi dropping one of the most random 50 point games ever, right up there with that Terrence Ross 50 spot.
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 11:05 AM   #233
octothorp
Franchise Player
 
octothorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: not lurking
Exp:
Default

With a handful of games to go, I have to say that the play-ins have been such a fantastic development for the competitive level in the league. I was against them originally (or at least of the view that they were just developed as a cheap and pointless ploy to try and get Zion into the bubble playoffs). Even with the non-playin teams basically set in both conferences, the battles to finish sixth or higher and avoid the playins are fantastic. The difference between finishing sixth vs. seventh. vs. eighth vs. ninth vs. tenth vs. eleventh is so substantial that no team in that range can afford to take their foot off the gas. Which is basically half the league. I'd love it if the standings stay about where they are and we get a Philly/Miami playin game on one side, and a Lakers/Warriors one on the other side.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 11:48 AM   #234
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player
 
Paulie Walnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
With a handful of games to go, I have to say that the play-ins have been such a fantastic development for the competitive level in the league. I was against them originally (or at least of the view that they were just developed as a cheap and pointless ploy to try and get Zion into the bubble playoffs). Even with the non-playin teams basically set in both conferences, the battles to finish sixth or higher and avoid the playins are fantastic. The difference between finishing sixth vs. seventh. vs. eighth vs. ninth vs. tenth vs. eleventh is so substantial that no team in that range can afford to take their foot off the gas. Which is basically half the league. I'd love it if the standings stay about where they are and we get a Philly/Miami playin game on one side, and a Lakers/Warriors one on the other side.
I don't believe a team from that format has ever won a series.

Lakers/Warriors did have that game when LeBron saw 5 rims when he took a shot to continue his lies.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 11:57 AM   #235
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

I mean the Heat literally made the Finals last year from the play-in, Lakers made the WCF. But I'm actually going to go the other way and say the play-in has actually rendered the regular season even more irrelevant. Without the play-in the Lakers would actually need to care about most of the season instead of taking two-thirds of the last two regular seasons off, just to turn it on at the end.
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:03 PM   #236
trackercowe
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Exp:
Default

It's basically a format to ensure LeBron and Steph make the "playoffs". I don't think that's even deniable at this point. When I watch the talking heads they spend more time talking about those two teams and the play-in than the rest of the playoff teams combined. It's shameful really, as there are plenty of great storylines going on this year... yet they're constantly stuck on James and Curry. Those two won't be around forever.

I can't wait for the Wembanyama to the Lakers conversation to happen in a few years from now. The NFL was able to move away from a Cowboys centric league, the MLB the same with the Yankees, yet the NBA cant seem to shake that megastar/Lakers mentality.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 12:06 PM   #237
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

Which is ironic because the Lakers don't drive ratings like they used to. I would also argue the MLB is even more dependent on big markets than ever, if the Red Sox/Cubs/Yankees/Dodgers aren't involved you can basically guarantee historically low ratings. Speaking of LeBron, gonna be one the most interesting draft cycle ever. Who is going to severely overdraft Bronny just to try and lure LeBron there?
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:54 PM   #238
bluejays
Franchise Player
 
bluejays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Exp:
Default

The Raps could be one of those guys to do it, but one season of Lebron? No thanks. He'll demand to trade draft capital just to compete for that season with years of suck to follow. I wouldn't trade a championship for that. I hate seeing a terrible basketball team year after year. It's a complete eye sore in any sport.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 03:56 PM   #239
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.
 
The Big Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

So the Raptors finish with the 6th worst record in the league, and our first round pick is top 6 protected. The lottery balls will decide whether we keep our pick or not. I’m not sure what we should even be cheering for, the draft this year is supposed to be very weak, but there is a decent chance our pick would be much later next year. That Poeltl trade was just terrible.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:26 PM   #240
Jason14h
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

The pick is top 6 protected each of the next 6 years - so if they are going fully
Rebuild you hope they keep pushing it out and it eventually becomes two 2nds.

What a brain dead trade
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021