Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #2601
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
The fact you can't perceive that the same phenomenon occurs on both sides of the spectrum is indicative of your own bias. For every Western Standard there is a PressProgress. People are increasingly uncomfortable with confronting viewpoints that challenge their own beliefs and consequently gravitate towards unreliable sources that reinforce their views.
Well, there are far left news outlets, but there are relatively few people who will say, "the Globe and Mail prints nothing but lies and propaganda; what you need to read is the Tyee and the Narwhal, they'll tell you how things really are". There's almost no one like that on the left. There are MANY people who say those sorts of things on the right about their preferred sources of reality.

Of course the flip side is that CBC news will have correspondents from both of those outlets regularly appear on their TV to say whatever they like without much protest, whereas you're not likely to see someone from the Rebel do the same. So... there's that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #2602
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
The fact you can't perceive that the same phenomenon occurs on both sides of the spectrum is indicative of your own bias. For every Western Standard there is a PressProgress. People are increasingly uncomfortable with confronting viewpoints that challenge their own beliefs and consequently gravitate towards unreliable sources that reinforce their views.
I don't read Press Progress, but this indicates they are better at factual reporting than Western Standard. I'm not really sure they can be compared like that, but hey, everything has an equivalency, right?

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/press-progress/

I don't gravitate towards unreliable sources, I mostly get news from the CBC(I can already hear the screams of Liberal bias...)Global, CTV, BBC, The Line, and check in on the crazy side occasionally to see what kind of grift Rebel is running for the day. I'm not sure I ever seek out a "far left" publication, unless someone links a story.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 11:01 AM   #2603
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
But that’s the point, how can you make fun of something that’s already out there and doing it on its own without even trying? I think most people know about the WS and Rebel because they pop up on mainstream platforms now and again but pretty easy not to take seriously let alone create a parody account out of, to me at least.
I would suggest you don't immediately buy into headlines, social media posts, and viral messaging without confirming the source, the journalists who said it, and the context/narrative in which they are speaking.

Alberta politics or beyond, the best defense against the rapid pace of news dissemination, opinions, misinformation and half-truths is to question everything and validate against multiple sources.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:03 AM   #2604
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If we're being totally fair, there are many things that the most left leaning posters on the board would swear up and down is totally right, but couldn't rationally justify if their lives depended on it, usually having to do with moral positions on specific events or issues.
Such as?
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:10 AM   #2605
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Such as?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 11:28 AM   #2606
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, there are far left news outlets, but there are relatively few people who will say, "the Globe and Mail prints nothing but lies and propaganda; what you need to read is the Tyee and the Narwhal, they'll tell you how things really are". There's almost no one like that on the left. There are MANY people who say those sorts of things on the right about their preferred sources of reality.

Of course the flip side is that CBC news will have correspondents from both of those outlets regularly appear on their TV to say whatever they like without much protest, whereas you're not likely to see someone from the Rebel do the same. So... there's that.
The Narwhal is a climate focus publication isn't it? I'm sure its left wing based on that but it isn't an outright political publication (assuming you see some separation from climate and politics)
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #2607
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
You used to be able to have discussions with people and disagree. Afterwords, you could hangout and be good friends. One of my very best friends and I have that relationship where we argue over politics respectfully, never agree, and move along as friends anyway. Politicians used to be that way also.
Aw don’t worry Slava, we can still be buds
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #2608
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Willing to share an example of a non-starter policy?
I don't know what the current NDP provincial platform looks like but some recent examples from other elections:

Alberta Party (provincial) - was seriously looking at them until they added universal dental care to their platform.

Liberal (federal): their lack of priority for national security and national defence. Not that the UPC is much better however.

If (for example) the provincial NDP would have campaigned on the changes to the electrical power system they made (I don't recall if that was part of their platform) that would be an example of one that would probably disqualify them from my vote.

I've never been a 'strategic' voter, I've always tried to match a candidate or party that most closely resemble my values. In an ideal world I would prefer to vote FOR something or someone rather than a against someone/something.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 11:40 AM   #2609
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The Narwhal is a climate focus publication isn't it? I'm sure its left wing based on that but it isn't an outright political publication (assuming you see some separation from climate and politics)
There's obviously a lot of overlap between climate and politics, especially in terms of news reporting.

Yes, it's an environmental publication for the most part, but not exclusively; for example they also publish a lot to do with First Nations issues. And it's not even like I'd say I always disagree with their spin on an issue, but they clearly have a particular agenda and ideology. The point is that there is less of a prevailing attitude of total abandonment of mainstream news sources among people on the far left than there is on the far right. I'm sure you could find examples to the contrary but it seems much less prevalent an issue.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:41 AM   #2610
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I read this and realized it sums up my feeling very well too. I've voted some form of conservative every election since I turned 18 (still remember the 1988 federal election being my first one). PC, Reform, UPC, CPC, I think I may have even votes Social Credit once as a form of protest. But today's UPC leaves me in a very bad spot personally as traditionally Liberal and NDP policies are very much different than my personal values in many ways. I too feel like I don't have a political home anymore. I also realized last night that I need to differentiate between the federal and provincial parties more when voting. For example there is no way I could ever consider voting NDP federally (or even Liberal for that matter) but there perhaps is a way I could convince myself to go NDP provincially. It probably depends on their platform, if there are some non-starter policies in there then they are off the table too and I don't know what I'll do.
Quote:
I don't know what the current NDP provincial platform looks like but some recent examples from other elections:

Alberta Party (provincial) - was seriously looking at them until they added universal dental care to their platform.

Liberal (federal): their lack of priority for national security and national defence. Not that the UPC is much better however.

If (for example) the provincial NDP would have campaigned on the changes to the electrical power system they made (I don't recall if that was part of their platform) that would be an example of one that would probably disqualify them from my vote.

I've never been a 'strategic' voter, I've always tried to match a candidate or party that most closely resemble my values. In an ideal world I would prefer to vote FOR something or someone rather than a against someone/something.
Wait, so you voted for a Jason Kenney led UCP because you didn't want poor people to get fillings?

There were no deal breakers for the UCP that you thought were worse than free dental care?
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 11:44 AM   #2611
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Wait, so you voted for a Jason Kenney led UCP because you didn't want poor people to get fillings?

Let Them Eat Soup.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 11:48 AM   #2612
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Let Them Eat Soup.
They can't.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:48 AM   #2613
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
They can't.
It's soup, slurp slurp

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:52 AM   #2614
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
It's soup, slurp slurp
Not if it's Campbell's Chunky. Allegedly it eats like a meal.

Quote:
Can you explain how dental care is appreciably different from other forms of healthcare? Gingivitis, for example, can cause all sorts of complications such as bone infections and periodontal ligament damage.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 10-18-2022 at 11:56 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:55 AM   #2615
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, dental care.

If people can't pay for their dental care over time, they get extremely sick and then become a massive burden on our socialized healthcare system. So, you're already subsidizing people who can't afford dental care, just at the back end of their problems when they're beyond repair and now it becomes a greater health system problem.
Beyond that, it dramatically effects that person's quality of life. Try getting a good job with bad teeth, etc.

If one part of our health care system is socialized, it is damn foolish not just to socialize it all.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 12:01 PM   #2616
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post

There were no deal breakers for the UCP that you thought were worse than free dental care?
I didn't say I voted UPC. They also had some personal deal breakers.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:07 PM   #2617
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...30#post8464330

Just think we should move the discussion around crappy media to an appropriate place at the thread linked above.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:20 PM   #2618
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me in as another lifelong conservative voter who won't be voting UCP this election. I'm still debating between the NDP and simply staying home, but either way I can't justify a UCP vote with Danielle Smith in charge.

Hated her back in her Wild Rose days, hated her when she crossed the floor, still hate her now. Worst thing the PC's ever did was allow the Wild Rose loons into the party (which speaks volumes about them as well). I can't believe this party actually voted her in. What a bunch of complete and total morons.

It's a shame because I actually like my UCP MLA, but I can't vote UCP.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:22 PM   #2619
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Count me in as another lifelong conservative voter who won't be voting UCP this election. I'm still debating between the NDP and simply staying home, but either way I can't justify a UCP vote with Danielle Smith in charge.

Hated her back in her Wild Rose days, hated her when she crossed the floor, still hate her now. Worst thing the PC's ever did was allow the Wild Rose loons into the party (which speaks volumes about them as well). I can't believe this party actually voted her in. What a bunch of complete and total morons.

It's a shame because I actually like my UCP MLA, but I can't vote UCP.
write them a letter and tell them as much. Maybe they will move onto another party.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2022, 12:40 PM   #2620
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't say I voted UPC. They also had some personal deal breakers.
Yes you did:

Quote:
I read this and realized it sums up my feeling very well too. I've voted some form of conservative every election since I turned 18 (still remember the 1988 federal election being my first one). PC, Reform, UPC, CPC, I think I may have even votes Social Credit once as a form of protest. But today's UPC leaves me in a very bad spot personally as traditionally Liberal and NDP policies are very much different than my personal values in many ways. I too feel like I don't have a political home anymore. I also realized last night that I need to differentiate between the federal and provincial parties more when voting. For example there is no way I could ever consider voting NDP federally (or even Liberal for that matter) but there perhaps is a way I could convince myself to go NDP provincially. It probably depends on their platform, if there are some non-starter policies in there then they are off the table too and I don't know what I'll do.
I assume "UPC" above was a typo and you meant to write "UCP".
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote