Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2022, 08:57 PM   #1901
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:
Default Twitter teetering on transaction? - UPDATE: Board agrees to sell Twitter to Musk

What’s also hilarious is there is no turning back for Elon. His “reputation” or whatever there was is completely gone.

He’s an alt right crazy figurehead now and that’s it. A complete idiot.

I can’t believe I once read this guy’s book and thought he was worth looking up to.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 09:56 PM   #1902
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On Sunday, Elon Musk tweeted a vague warning: “the bots are in for a surprise tomorrow.” He didn’t say what the surprise was. But in the hours that followed, Twitter blocked traffic from roughly 30 mobile carriers around the world, effectively cutting off access to hundreds of thousands of accounts, primarily in the Asia-Pacific region, including vast swaths of Russia, Indonesia, India, and Malaysia.

The project was part of Elon Musk’s attempt to rid Twitter of spam. But rather than work to remove individual offenders, the company identified mobile networks associated with large spam networks in specific countries, and blocked users who relied on those networks from receiving SMS messages from Twitter, impacting people with two-factor authentication. Then it blocked traffic from those carriers completely.
Ooops!

Quote:
The incident highlights growing confusion within Twitter as the company struggles to carry out Musk’s erratic commands with his ever-shrinking pool of engineers. In some cases, as with the telecom issue, the company has been charged with making huge changes without doing due diligence on their potential consequences.
https://www.platformer.news/p/how-el...is-war-on-bots

The whole thing is a fun read.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:28 PM   #1903
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Hey I've done that! Blocked entire IP blocks for a given provider or organization from CP for spam or aggressive crawlers that ignore the robots.txt file.

I mean in theory if it worked great, you lose a certain percentage of your market to improve your product for the other (presumably vastly larger) percentage of your market. In principle I don't disagree with that, firing your customer can be a good thing sometimes.

It does kinda go against the whole "global town square" idea though.

Plus how effective will it be? Bots and human spammers seem like they'll just use more sophisticated techniques. It's a game of whack-a-mole.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:29 PM   #1904
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
That, and I think he's just a lot older now, and kinda crossing over into the tired, grumpy years. I recently went down a YouTube wormhole of his, I miss his old spastic energy from the 90s/00s (I miss mine too) . Happens to the best of us, but he just isn't the same dude anymore.

I miss your spastic energy too Sainters. Where’s the spark? Where’s the romantic spontaneity when you used to sweep me off my feet?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 11:37 PM   #1905
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I miss your spastic energy too Sainters. Where’s the spark? Where’s the romantic spontaneity when you used to sweep me off my feet?

I read this as Teddy from Bob’s Burgers.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 11:40 PM   #1906
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ooops!

https://www.platformer.news/p/how-el...is-war-on-bots

The whole thing is a fun read.
Just a reminder that this man paid over $40 B to destroy Twitter.

$40B!!!

Imagine having $40B. And then imagine torching it like this guy did. Smartest guy in the world.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 07:02 AM   #1907
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Just a reminder that this man paid over $40 B to destroy Twitter.

$40B!!!

Imagine having $40B. And then imagine torching it like this guy did. Smartest guy in the world.
I'm angry/sad about what he could have done if he wasn't a horrible person.
Still bugs me how he was a dick with the United Nations and solving hunger.

That was only 6 billion dollars and he could have been a global hero.
but nope, he didn't really want to help starving non white people.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2022, 08:23 AM   #1908
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Musk craves people to like him. He is wormy that way. So he will eventually revert to more centrist takes because if he sticks to what he’s doing and what he truly believes in people won’t like him. So he is going to go weasel back to more centrist takes so people will like him now that he realizes he has lost so many followers.

I don’t think he realizes how far he’s lost the audience. He wants to be known as this super genius but he just destroyed all of whatever reputation he had over this Twitter thing and he comes across like a gigantic moron. Which should be terrifying, for everyone, that somebody as moronic as Musk is in control of a tool like Twitter and the worlds richest person. If there is ever an argument that extreme wealth needs to be re-distributed, all one needs is a case study on Musk and how he’s managed this entire idiotic debacle.

I am still blown away he posted a picture of a woman about to be… with the Twitter logo covering her nether regions and asking Trump to do the deed. That was insanely mind blowing poor judgment for a CEO and “super smart guy” as if we want this complete imbecile with so much power. What a loser.
I think the part you're missing is that the more wealthy and powerful you are, the more people in your circle tell you you're funny and great. If everyone piles on your awful jokes on Twitter, but all the people around you tell you you're hilarious and keep guffawing, you're going to start believing you're pretty funny and "those" people are just wrong
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 08:26 AM   #1909
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All I know is if I owned Tesla stock I'd be pretty pissed right about now. Bled off 2 years of gains already.
If the rumours of Musk moving people from Tesla to Twitter are true, and Tesla shares keep shedding because of Musk, how long before he's canned? He is the largest shareholder, but only has 15ish percent, so a few activist shareholders could force the issue
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 08:40 AM   #1910
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Siding with the party that says electric cars aren't masculine was certainly an odd decision
Old 12-13-2022, 09:01 AM   #1911
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I'm angry/sad about what he could have done if he wasn't a horrible person.
Still bugs me how he was a dick with the United Nations and solving hunger.

That was only 6 billion dollars and he could have been a global hero.
but nope, he didn't really want to help starving non white people.

If $6B is all it took to end global hunger, it would have been figured out a while ago. Canada's GDP is ~$2000B, why don't we spend 0.3% of that to end world hunger? Canada has already given billions in Foreign Aid under Trudeau alone. The U.N. was probably just trying to fleece him for $6B.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:02 AM   #1912
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noted hustler and scammer, the UN food program.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #1913
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Hey I've done that! Blocked entire IP blocks for a given provider or organization from CP for spam or aggressive crawlers that ignore the robots.txt file.

That was necessary, just in case MMF was one of the people trying to get back into CP through one of those IPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #1914
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Oh good, Musk telling his 121 million followers to follow Q.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1602472202619654144
Old 12-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #1915
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Noted hustler and scammer, the UN food program.

I wish I had your faith in monolithic, unaccountable, power hierarchies to do the right thing.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:31 AM   #1916
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I wish I had your faith in monolithic, unaccountable, power hierarchies to do the right thing.
I wish I believed every dumb thing I read on the internet as easily as you.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2022, 09:47 AM   #1917
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Musk craves people to like him. He is wormy that way. So he will eventually revert to more centrist takes because if he sticks to what he’s doing and what he truly believes in people won’t like him. So he is going to go weasel back to more centrist takes so people will like him now that he realizes he has lost so many followers.
By going far right he doesn't just get people to like him, that fan boy base worships him.
I initially thought he was smarter than this but I think the cult worship is actually fueling him now.
Like Trump, he now has a following that will threaten his enemies, even enact violence for their guru.

I'm not sure he'll come back to the normies again, they don't love him like these people do.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:49 AM   #1918
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
If $6B is all it took to end global hunger, it would have been figured out a while ago. Canada's GDP is ~$2000B, why don't we spend 0.3% of that to end world hunger? Canada has already given billions in Foreign Aid under Trudeau alone. The U.N. was probably just trying to fleece him for $6B.
did you even follow the story at all?

here's a summary

David Beasley, the UN food program director and former Republican governor of South Carolina, said giving $6 billion, or 2% of Musk’s net worth, could help solve world hunger.

Musk responded on Twitter, writing, “If WFP can describe on this Twitter thread exactly how $6B will solve world hunger, I will sell Tesla stock right now and do it.”

So they followed through with a clear and transparent plan, willing to have open books, and Musk ghosted them and did nothing. He had a chance to contribute in a huge way to solving a catastrophe, and he showed exactly what kind of soulless blowhard he is.

but he got his ego hurt and then spend 44 billion on twitter justto use it to stroke his ego, spread racism, antisemitism and enabling violent conspiracy theorists.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2022, 10:12 AM   #1919
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
By going far right he doesn't just get people to like him, that fan boy base worships him.
I initially thought he was smarter than this but I think the cult worship is actually fueling him now.
Like Trump, he now has a following that will threaten his enemies, even enact violence for their guru.

I'm not sure he'll come back to the normies again, they don't love him like these people do.
However, Trump, Alex Jones, religious leaders and others have shown that courting the far right can bring in the funds from people gullible enough to believe their bull####. Maybe that's Musk's strategy?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 11:12 AM   #1920
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Roth likely headed to a place where the age of consent laws are but a suggestion. He was probably more afraid of getting busted with an underage visitor than violence.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote