Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2023, 08:00 PM   #5901
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disaster.
While it's on the players, no way a Herdman team would concede 3.

Again, disaster for future development in this country. They need to play high end competition for skill and big game development and just getting exposure on the world stage like Copa America to get the next generation engaged, but can't afford it given the debacle of the CSA.

Sure there is still a playoff to get in (but can the CSA afford the extra training sessions) but losing like that with basically a 3 goal lead at home is crushing.

Last edited by browna; 11-21-2023 at 08:12 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:11 PM   #5902
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I couldn't watch until the end. I left BMO Field with too much anxiety haha

Jamaican fans are fun though! I didn't understand half of what they were cheering but goddamn do they love their country!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 08:21 PM   #5903
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
You can't really expect better mgmt... we have a guy in charge who has managed for a total of 1.5 seasons at pro level. He would never get hired by any professional club yet he is handed the keys to our best ever national team at a critical time. Classic csa
Can't blame Biello for the players switching off on all 3 Nicholson goals. It's too easy of an excuse.

The CSA drained the reserves to ensure these players got a taste of the World Cup and it appears that without those luxuries, they don't know how to get a result. Maybe Davies will puff his chest out as he got a dribbler of a goal and failed to take on 3 defenders 20 times over the two legs when he goes back to Bayern.

Not the first pathetic collapse this core has had in an important game. The difference is in 2019 we could chalk it up to youth.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 09:09 PM   #5904
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
Herdman, not the CSA, pulled this club into the WC, pushing these players to punch above their weight class by removing the lack of confidence and the self doubt out of each of their individual minds as much as he could and also energizing them together as a team to overcome their perceptions, lack of association support etc, to be a solid unified unit on and off the pitch.

And now, whatever confidence in themselves and as a team, has to sunk to new levels.
Old 11-21-2023, 10:49 PM   #5905
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ahh yes. Here’s the CMNT gut punch feeling I’ve been accustomed to!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 06:11 AM   #5906
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

We can still qualify for Copa; though I’m not sure how that works. We need those games, we need meaningful games ahead of 2026.

I woke up this morning feeling like CSA needs to make Bobby Smyrniotis an offer he can’t refuse. I feel like he’s the best coach they could get so get him in now

Edit: I see someone else on Reddit posed a similar idea and it was met with wildly differing opinions.

Last edited by M*A*S*H 4077; 11-22-2023 at 06:21 AM.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 06:20 AM   #5907
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
We can still qualify for Copa; though I’m not sure how that works. We need those games, we need meaningful games ahead of 2026.

I woke up this morning feeling like CSA needs to make Bobby Smyrniotis an offer he can’t refuse. I feel like he’s the best coach they could get so get him in now
6 from CONCACAF qualify for the tournament. So the 4 who lost play for the final 2 spots.

Canada play Trinidad in Tobago in March. If they win, they advance to the tournament. Honduras and Costa Rica play for the other spot.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 06:27 AM   #5908
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

We're going to get smashed by Trinidad/Tobago, aren't we
Old 11-22-2023, 06:29 AM   #5909
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as someone doesn’t pull a Sergino Dest we have a chance. But it’s another team that’s going to want to play on the counter or get into a wide open back and forth match. Guess we’ll get to see if the players have learned anything
Old 11-22-2023, 07:20 AM   #5910
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if we had one of the more difficult teams from the Caribbean to face up in this tournament? Like, would it have an easier if we were able to play Honduras, Panama El Salvador, or Guatemala?

I know Mexico lost to Honduras which I think is an aberration, but I just have to wonder if the reggae boys are routinely one of the more difficult Caribbean nations to deal with.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:35 AM   #5911
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, they were a tough team. Jamaica has taken advantage of dual nationals (honestly, great for them) and there are a number of Premier League/English Championship/Ligue 1/Serie A players in their team.

This is just my opinion but I’d say Eustaquio and Davies are probably a step above any of their players individually but after that the talent level is very close. They have a Premier league CB which we don’t have (yet!). Their issue is getting their players to gel and get used to playing with each other. I don’t have an issue with having lost to Jamaica, they’re good. But it’s the how that is a big big problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 08:04 AM   #5912
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
6 from CONCACAF qualify for the tournament. So the 4 who lost play for the final 2 spots.

Canada play Trinidad in Tobago in March. If they win, they advance to the tournament. Honduras and Costa Rica play for the other spot.

Oh ####! I thought we were done! Haven't really looked up qualifying format for Copa. Glad we still have a shot, as I thought last night was a nail in the coffin.

As someone else mentioned, we NEED to be playing meaningful games heading into 2026.
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 08:23 AM   #5913
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Why get Smyrniotis and not say, a top coach from the Norwegian Second Division? There is an enormity of coaches who are performing well at a level equal to or higher than the CPL, Smyrniotis would just feel like a lazy decision to me.

I also want to see what he can do when he isn't just handed all his Sigma alumni and their buddies first.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 08:51 AM   #5914
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Why get Smyrniotis and not say, a top coach from the Norwegian Second Division? There is an enormity of coaches who are performing well at a level equal to or higher than the CPL, Smyrniotis would just feel like a lazy decision to me.

I also want to see what he can do when he isn't just handed all his Sigma alumni and their buddies first.
I agree with this, and I'm not going to lie it's in large part because I hate him and Forge.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2023, 08:54 AM   #5915
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea...how many international players are there in the CPL? I don't think that's the answer.

He might be a good coach, but that's not where we should be looking.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:57 AM   #5916
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd rather see Bobby go to Montreal. That way he'll be fired within a year and nowhere near the national team.

Old 11-22-2023, 09:02 AM   #5917
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually agree with all of you. I get hung up on it’s Canada Soccer and I wouldn’t be surprised if they took the east/convenient road out of this. As far as Canadian candidates go Bobby probably is the list.

I’m not sure how attractive the Canada job is BUT I do keep forgetting we are hosting 2026 so that must have some appeal?

One of the names I could see in a pipe dream is Jesse Marsch. Maybe we can pay him in maple syrup and the chance to stick it to his American buddies?

I think it is important they get a coach in asap so they can have a January camp for the non-European guys and start getting familiar with a new coach and tactics. Don’t leave this to March.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:20 AM   #5918
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny, Marsch wanted the Canada job back in 2013. At the time he had only a year of head coaching experience with the Impact, so it would have been seen as a hire akin to Biello, but with even less experience and success in the club ranks.

Supporters would have hated that hire, The jo went to Floro who was a manager with a sexy resume, and who ended up being underwhelming.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:27 PM   #5919
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only reason the CSA and CSB would choose Smyrniotis is because he is cheap and he would do what he's asked by stakeholders who those who think they are stake holders. Floro didn't do that's which is why he lasted months. Herdman took the job with the explicit request and knowledge that he wasn't going to get pushed around or pressured by the CSA.

Also, Smyrniotis's office for Forge is just down the hallway in Hamilton from the CSB's offices, who dictate to the CSA how they should do most things over the last few years, as they hand out the allowance.

Clearly a T and T win has to be the case (though anything can happen), but they miss playing the Nations League against the US and probably Mexico...every game helps.
Old 11-23-2023, 09:21 AM   #5920
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

The back door chance vs. T&T will be on Saturday, March 23 in Frisco, Texas. It will be a single leg match as part of the Nations League finale weekend: semifinals (March 21) and finals (March 24).

On paper, this is a very winnable fixture. But as supporters of Canada within Concacaf... anything can happen.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote