Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:
Flames The Great Flames Goalie Debate Thread

I know there are a bunch of people with very strong opinions regarding the Flames current goaltending. Since it has been suggested more then once that someone start a thread about it, why not do it and see if it helps limit the conversation everywhere else?

I don't get quite as worked up as some people do about this team. To me a win is a win regardless if the goalie gets a shut out or we win 6-5. Hockey is a team game and everyone will end up taking a turn bailing another teammate out from time to time.

Looking forward, I'd be happy to look at Lehner if the Islanders don't sign him. He's under 30, has some size and he looks like he's got his head on straight these days. Plus he wouldn't cost us assets.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We just need honest, average goaltending. Its the same story we had with Elliot and Johnson. They could be Superman one night and complete sieves the next their NHL-Starter baseline was low, they could play above their heads, but when they werent they were jaw-droppingly awful.

Dave looks like our best bet at the moment, he has stumbled a couple times but in fairness those were wild games anyways.

I cant see re-signing Smith after this season anyways so we need some people to step up or we're going to have to spend assets to replace them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
I know there are a bunch of people with very strong opinions regarding the Flames current goaltending. Since it has been suggested more then once that someone start a thread about it, why not do it and see if it helps limit the conversation everywhere else?

I don't get quite as worked up as some people do about this team. To me a win is a win regardless if the goalie gets a shut out or we win 6-5. Hockey is a team game and everyone will end up taking a turn bailing another teammate out from time to time.

Looking forward, I'd be happy to look at Lehner if the Islanders don't sign him. He's under 30, has some size and he looks like he's got his head on straight these days. Plus he wouldn't cost us assets.
Thank you for creating this thread!!!
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith, even in victories is rather shaky - he's swimming around the crease. Rittich still has a lot to prove, but I think he's got the ability to be a number 1. I would rather ride Rittich to see where he could take us. If our long term solution in net is internal, that is a massive boost for the team.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let the coach coach.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
redpaint
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Had this debate (I mean, who hasn't) with a buddy in the ol'garage arena.

Do we risk a move to get a true number #1 or get held back from a deep run during a season when we (for once) get peak performances from players in/entering their prime?

Do we mess with the chemistry and sell high on Brodie?

could one of Andersson/Valimaki/Kyington + a pick get a goalie at the deadline?
Who would even be available at the deadline? Quick? Allen? Crawford?
Are all available goalies on the decline and/or just a band-aid effect anyways?

In my opinion, it seems very rare to have a #1 goalie traded in their prime let alone preform to any degree of excellence on a new team and go deep in the playoffs (prove me wrong).

Most exceptional goalies seem to come within a franchise unless otherwise scooped before reaching their potential (Kipper).

BSD has to become our number one, and flames know that. we have no real options, so best ease him in, and let Smith provide the controversy while allowing Rittich prove himself in the shadows without the fans or team turning on him.

Last edited by redpaint; 12-13-2018 at 09:10 AM.
redpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Let the coach coach.
And let the GM GM.

I doubt that Smith is going to be here for the long-term so no matter how you want to slice it, our Goaltending tandem next season will likely be different.

The question now is: how different? New backup? New Starter? Both?

I like it when both Smith and Dave are firing and that when one stumbles the other comes in to catch them, but we likely cant get away with continuing to do this and either way its not a viable long-term strategy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpaint View Post
In my opinion, it seems very rare to have a #1 goalie traded in their prime let alone preform to any degree of excellence on a new team and go deep in the playoffs (prove me wrong).
Patrick Roy
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #9
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you can win the cup with Niemi and Huet, you can win the cup with Smith and Rittich.

It depends on the rest of the roster, but it can be done.

This flames team seems to score at will like that hawks team did. Need to find more second line scoring punch and the goalies won't matter so much.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
redpaint
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Patrick Roy

Nice forgot about that. This definitely falls into the 'rare' category, and to be fair Roy pretty much traded himself after stating he played his last game in MTL after that fateful blowout.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #11
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpaint View Post
...In my opinion, it seems very rare to have a #1 goalie traded in their prime let alone preform to any degree of excellence on a new team and go deep in the playoffs (prove me wrong)...
Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day: goalies don't often get moved at the Trade Deadline, and when they do it seems like most struggle to adjust. I don't think it is possible to trade for an upgrade in net right now because the market is just not there. And I am extremely Leary about trading for a goalie at the TD because these moves seldom work out. I have always maintained that the solution is not forthcoming until the season ends.

Quote:
BSD has to become our number one, and flames know that. we have no real options, so best ease him in, and let Smith provide the controversy while allowing to Rittich prove himself in the shadows without the fans or team turning on him.
Smith has played very well prior to the bad goal in the second period last night. I still think he sustained an injury early in the game and tried to play through it. He had to make a couple big saves in the first minute of the game, and was very slow to get up. I think he tweaked something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 12-13-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And let the GM GM.

I doubt that Smith is going to be here for the long-term so no matter how you want to slice it, our Goaltending tandem next season will likely be different.

The question now is: how different? New backup? New Starter? Both?

I like it when both Smith and Dave are firing and that when one stumbles the other comes in to catch them, but we likely cant get away with continuing to do this and either way its not a viable long-term strategy.
The question is whether the goalie move comes this season or off season. Smith is done - no way he's re-signed. Rittich's big test is right now. He's going to be handed the reigns without a safety net (like last year but hopefully he's going to handle it this year). If he can, then it's just a move for a UFA like Bob or an established guy on a rebuilding team.

Everyone agrees that goalies are a crapshoot. Give Treliving credit - he's tried hard to solve the issue, but it just hasn't worked. Sutter made it look easy with Kipper (but then proved it was hard with every other goalie he signed).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #13
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading for a goalie mid way through the season almost never works. They don’t get accustomed to their new team until later.

You have to ride Rittich and Smith. Ride the hot goalie, it’s been working for the latter half of games played.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #14
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So what teams have solid backups that Treliving could target? Saros in Nashville seems like an obvious target, but Rinne is 36 so the Predators are probably looking at Saros as his replacement now
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #15
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who are some of the goalies available? I think there are options in the off-season.

As of right now, maybe Allen if he is super cheap? Might benefit from a change (that entire team sucks) and he has a reasonable salary albeit 2 more years, which is not something the Blues might be interested in.

If the Blues still want to win and not re-build, how about:

James Neal+Mike Smith+B-level Prospect

for

Jake Allen+Alex Steen

(I feel this might be favouring the Flames but oh well.)

Last edited by keenan87; 12-13-2018 at 09:22 AM.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #16
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ritter's rope is still too damn short for my liking. feels like just one below average game (or even period), or a loss that can't even be pinned on him means Smith's punch card gets renewed for the next bunch of games. just this past weekend, Smith beat Nashville but didn't look so hot, while Rittich was pretty close to perfect vs E=NG but still couldn't get back in till Smith hurt himself.

from a pure style standpoint, I'm just not into Smith's spastic movements. it either results in a bunch of heroic amazing looking saves, or a bunch of goals that shouldn't squeeze past such a huge goalie. give me the boring guy who doesn't play the puck like a defenceman or whip out the scorpion legs, but also doesn't leave you scratching your head about the unscreened floater that dribbled past him from 50 feet out.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #17
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rittich can run with it now, but Smith has shown flashes of playing good hockey. I am happy with who ever plays best going forward
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Ritter's rope is still too damn short for my liking. feels like just one below average game (or even period), or a loss that can't even be pinned on him means Smith's punch card gets renewed for the next bunch of games. just this past weekend, Smith beat Nashville but didn't look so hot, while Rittich was pretty close to perfect vs E=NG but still couldn't get back in till Smith hurt himself.

from a pure style standpoint, I'm just not into Smith's spastic movements. it either results in a bunch of heroic amazing looking saves, or a bunch of goals that shouldn't squeeze past such a huge goalie. give me the boring guy who doesn't play the puck like a defenceman or whip out the scorpion legs, but also doesn't leave you scratching your head about the unscreened floater that dribbled past him from 50 feet out.
When he was pulled against CBJ he just looked defeated. Rittich I think still gets into his own head a bit (he reacts very strongly to things). Peters IMO has a pretty good handle on how his players are feeling.

As for style, I agree, though too static is also no good (see Hiller). I want at least some fight for the puck.

If Smith isn't hurt and can keep the trend of the previous 6 games going despite this last bad one, I'm still in favour of moving to a 1A/1B situation with Rittich getting more games. We have to keep in mind that Rittich has never had a heavy workload in his whole career. People always talk about putting players in positions to succeed. It makes sense for Peters to tread carefully with him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #19
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the problem with Smith's hot/cold routine is that you can't see it coming. he's a shutout hero one night, and then suddenly becomes Mike Sieve the next game. if at least he could warm up and cool down more gradually, then the team wouldn't so often find themselves down 2 or more, wondering what the hell happened and how to assemble another miracle comeback.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #20
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barring injury I don't think the Flames should be making any trades for a goaltender. In fact I don't want to see any trades period as this team seems to have good chemistry and needs to hold on to their draft picks after a few lean drafts over the past four years. We just got to let this season ride out and see where this team goes. As long as both goaltenders aren't playing poorly at the same time the team should be good enough to stay in contention for the division title.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: