Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #481
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningSteel View Post
The roof separation is way too clean to be from just collision. I think it was likely opened up on the impact and then cut like that by fire. A bus on its side would be impossible to extract victims with spinal cord injuries in a safe and efficient be manner. Wonder where the last stop sign was prior to the scene?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Well first of all the roof was clearly removed by first responders for access so maybe we just wait for the experts to release all the information.
The roof of a tour bus is held on with a few posts and glass, hitting a flatbed trailer at 100k would be like a knife threw butter. I think one the kids who survived mentioned the bus was in 2 pieces when he was scrambling away from the carnage.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #482
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I think one the kids who survived mentioned the bus was in 2 pieces when he was scrambling away from the carnage.
From the Sportsnet article that was posted a few posts back.

Quote:
Moffatt

"The roof of the bus was completely removed, laying on its side, still kind of attached. The bus was facing south, and I knew the bus was heading north. The first 30 feet of the bus was removed. I still don’t know where it was. It looked like the impact was initially at the front of the bus".
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #483
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

SHA CEO Scott Livingstone says two patients who were in critical condition have been upgraded to serious condition. Six still in hospital.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #484
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

They hold a charity game in Lethbridge every year between the Police and Fire Fighters/Em's. This year all proceeds were donated to the Humboldt Broncos.

Playing in this game with the police was Lethbridge's own Kris Versteeg and playing for Fire/EMS was Taber native Brandon Davidson.

Police wore green, all with #29 and Broncos on the back. Fire/EMS wore yellow also with #29 Broncos.

For the anthem the players stood around centre ice as well as the parents of Logan Boulet. Logan's parents took off their Humboldt Broncos jersey's (#27 Boulet) and Versteeg and Davidson put them on to play in.

Versteeg took the opening faceoff, won it, grabbed the puck and skated straight up the middle deking everybody in site and scored. Davidson and Versteeg then went to the benches and returned Logan's jerseys to his parents.

Versteeg then donned a red Flames jersey crested with Boulet's name and number. Versteeg was not putting in full effort but played with a huge smile the entire game. In the late stages of the game with Fire/EMS up 7-3 Versteeg kicked it up a couple of gears and started a comeback for the Police but Fire got an empty netted late to put it out of reach at 8-5.

It was a fun game to watch and it was put on for a great cause. There was some worthy tributes to the Broncos players. All the players shook hands at the end and they all shook hands and/or hugged Logan Boulet's parents, some giving some words of condolences and encouragement to the Boulet family. Versteeg and Davidson both spent some time with them.

It was a good night. I don't know exaxtly how much money was raised yet. But tickets were $10 for 16+ and they sold 2100 tickets. Kids under 16 were free and they said attendance was 2500 but there was waaaaay more than 400 kids there. 50/50 was somewhere over $4000 and there was a lot of silent auction items such as signed NHL jerseys. Humboldt Broncos pucks were $10 each. Chuck a puck was $5 each buy a puck and in the 2nd intermission you had 1 minute to throw it on the ice. Closest to center ice won Hurricanes season tickets next year. A couple hundred pucks, at least, were thrown on the ice. So, lots of money was raised for the Broncos.

Just a fun game. It was good.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 11:05 PM   #485
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Nipawin beat Estevan Bruins in 7 games to win Canalta Cup. Will now face MJHL champ in Anavet Cup.

Nice touch, they wore green helmets to honour the Broncos.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...hips-1.4634413
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #486
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...ontinues-pour/

surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Great news.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BurningSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #487
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

At the Broncos benefit concert in Saskatoon tonite. Mony and Lanny representing the Flames here. Very touching program put together tonite. Music can play a small part in healing. From our seats I can see the Broncos families in the front row. After all the media coverage a guy almost feels like he knows them. Lots of smiles but still lots of tears.
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rtown For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #488
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Should have mentioned that Rhettro, Sarich and Gulutzan are also among the 30-40 NHLers in attendance.
Also I just gotta say that the Oilers suck and will always suck but Todd Maclellan is top shelf in my books.
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rtown For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #489
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At what point does everyone shut the public spectacle down and let the families deal with their private mourning/healing?
Just my thoughts, I would want privacy to deal with this kind of thing.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #490
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
At what point does everyone shut the public spectacle down and let the families deal with their private mourning/healing?
I think the families that want their privacy have it now.

What we're seeing is the road back, and the outreach to help. I think a lot of the families that are attending these want to be there.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #491
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The mourning isn't limited to the families. There are many who need an opportunity to grieve or help in their own way.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #492
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
The families that wanted privacy requested and got it right from the beginning. There's been a few players and families that have wanted to speak publicly and are doing so.

Or if you're referring to the coverage of ongoing support and attention directed at the team, I can't see anyone on the team not wanting that. The Broncos will be on everyone's minds for years to come and the media attention reflects that.

Not sure what the issue is?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #493
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a good article on Kaleb Dahlgren.

http://www.660news.com/2018/05/08/di...all-bus-crash/
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CedarMeter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #494
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kaleb Dahlgren is set to follow in the footsteps of his late Assistant Coach Mark Cross, has committed to the York Lions. Hope to starts this fall depends on the injuries (He has a fractured skull, a puncture wound in his head, a brain injury and six broken vertebraes), if not the University told him he can start whenever hes ready.

Last edited by Drake; 05-11-2018 at 12:40 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #495
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2018/05/h...n-2018-19.html
Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #496
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would love to see an exhibition game played at the Dome. I suspect there would be massive support from local hockey fans.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #497
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Would love to see an exhibition game played at the Dome. I suspect there would be massive support from local hockey fans.
Good post I would live to see some O&G owners or the Flames donate a box to the players for a weekend game.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #498
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
If the WHL doesn’t come calling you gotta think Dean Brockman who spent 17 years running the organization has to be a front runner. Hes admired and highly respected in hockey circles.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #499
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Team is fighting the league for control of HumboltStrong trademark. Didn’t take long for this to become about the money. Sad.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ttle-1.4659806
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #500
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i don’t know if this is about money. To me both parties seem to have a stake in this. I guess it was unfortunate that they did not work together to secure the name.

In the end it seems similar to Johnny hockey trademarking that name