Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #401
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yep, just like when Burke went on a tirade about the media "making things up" about the Flames being in on Dougie Hamilton, and as we all know Dougie never ended up in Calgary, so we can trust Brian at is word.
Burke was also quite insistent last season that Brandon Bollig needed more ice time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #402
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't the tirade about the Hamilton trade from when there were rumors that the Flames we shopping Hamilton - I don't recall him saying anything about Hamilton before we traded for him since that would have been tampering.

I also don't see why he would make things up about Iginla not wanting to come back here, it's probably true.

Iginla sold his house here, and hasn't really wanted any part of anything in Calgary since he left (no charity events here, no on-ice tribute, nothing local).

Think the fans are the only ones that want to re-kindle that relationship, doesn't look like anything the Flames or Iginla or interested in TBH.

And I am okay with that - the dude just isn't that good of a hockey player anymore and there is too much history to take a risk on him. Could you waive or bench Iginla in Calgary if he doesn't find his game...doubtful.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #403
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I am not getting my hopes up, but it would be fantabulous for him to come back. Definitely would make a great story. From Pittsburgh to Boston to Colorado (I haven't heard much from LA) players - especially the young players - have all said the same thing: "the way he prepares for games, how hard he trains and prepares for the season, shows me how I should prepare myself" or similar comments. On a team full of youth, that's not a bad example to bring in. Giordano is awesome at that too.

As for the charts that got posted, how about we sign BOTH Jagr and Iginla to contracts. Average those two out.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #404
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think he would be a perfect fit if he is willing to play anywhere in the lineup with no ego. He has a good shot and stands up for teammates. The team has lots of mobile quick smallish forwards and I think he'd bring good balance. I also think people underestimate the importance of confidence for young players and adding a hall of famer who is tough as nails would impact the team mentality... If he swallows his pride a bit.

He is also a team legend and would give this years version a bit of a team of destiny feel if they can get rolling. And history does matter. It sells jerseys and tickets and the narrative is important to an extent. I'm not super old but all the people in this thread who are saying they don't care about the oilers and or iggy sure are a different era of hockey fan than me.

Rip that A of Brouwer's shirt and hand it to Iggy (or at least backs).
Old 07-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #405
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jarome is a more useful player then Hathaway, and Freddie Hamilton. No question and the team is going to have injuries. I am 100 percent behind this the more I think about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #406
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I think he would be a perfect fit if he is willing to play anywhere in the lineup with no ego. He has a good shot and stands up for teammates. The team has lots of mobile quick smallish forwards and I think he'd bring good balance. I also think people underestimate the importance of confidence for young players and adding a hall of famer who is tough as nails would impact the team mentality... If he swallows his pride a bit.

He is also a team legend and would give this years version a bit of a team of destiny feel if they can get rolling. And history does matter. It sells jerseys and tickets and the narrative is important to an extent. I'm not super old but all the people in this thread who are saying they don't care about the oilers and or iggy sure are a different era of hockey fan than me.

Rip that A of Brouwer's shirt and hand it to Iggy (or at least backs).
Absolutely zero chance Iginla would get an A.
Zero
None
This is exactly the nonsense that has to stop

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 07-11-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #407
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Zero
I am sure Colorado said the same thing.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #408
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
I am sure Colorado said the same thing.
Yes
The Avs would have been a cup contender had they given Iggy the C
Old 07-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #409
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes
The Avs would have been a cup contender had they given Iggy the C
I love how that is your response. Cause I clearly was saying that . . . .
Old 07-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #410
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I think about it the more it makes sense that the following needs to happen for us to be able to sign a Jagr or Iginla.

1. Bennett, Ferland, Kulak, Hathaway contracts need ink.
2. Stajan needs to be dealt or demoted somehow.
3. Maximum 1 year term.

If step two doesn't happen I really don't see the room in Calgary for another UFA forward and if step two does we can't be extending a 2 or 3 year contract has to be 1 as we have too much depth that will be pushing to graduate into the NHL soon (Jankowski, Foo, Poirier, Shinkaruk, Mangiapane, Hathaway, Dube, Phillips ect.)

Now if all those 3 steps happen then yes I'd be happy with either player - Jagr preferably but I'd happily take Iggy back for a dream run chance - lots of fun options:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jagr
Versteeg - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland
Brouwer - Jankowski - Lazar
Hathaway, Hamilton

PP1

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jagr
Brodie - Versteeg

PP2

Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Giordano - Hamilton

Or

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Iginla
Brouwer - Jankowski - Lazar
Hathaway, Hamilton

PP1

Iginla - Monahan - Gaudreau
Brodie - Verteeg

PP2

Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Giordano - Hamilton
Old 07-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #411
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
I love how that is your response. Cause I clearly was saying that . . . .
Ok
So what were you saying?
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #412
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ok
So what were you saying?
Never say never, but if this move actually is real at some point. He should not be getting an A. Brouwer should be stripped but it should go to a young core piece like Backlund or Brodie.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #413
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not disputing that at all.
The facts also include being on the ice for a ridiculously high amount of even strength goals against while playing with the Kings.
Well that's just a really fancy way of saying "but his +/- really sucks".
Old 07-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #414
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Well that's just a really fancy way of saying "but his +/- really sucks".
Which is the worst stat to use to judge a player.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #415
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Zero
None
This is exactly the nonsense that has to stop
You need to dial it back a bit.

Zero chance? Nonsense?

*If* he were brought back, seeing the greatest player in this organization's history and one of the most respected veterans in the game get a letter isn't nearly as outright crazy as you just suggested.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #416
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would be kind of weird not to give an A to Iginla quite frankly. I mean, part of the rationale in bringing him back is adding some leadership after all. That was part of the rationale in bringing Brouwer in.

Giving a guy an A is not the same thing as giving someone a C. Giordano remains the captain. Iginla just adds to the leadership on the team (along with depth scoring and hopefully keeps opposing players a bit more honest when playing the Flames). I would expect Brouwer to volunteer his A actually.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #417
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think it would be kind of weird not to give an A to Iginla quite frankly. I mean, part of the rationale in bringing him back is adding some leadership after all. That was part of the rationale in bringing Brouwer in.

Giving a guy an A is not the same thing as giving someone a C. Giordano remains the captain. Iginla just adds to the leadership on the team (along with depth scoring and hopefully keeps opposing players a bit more honest when playing the Flames). I would expect Brouwer to volunteer his A actually.
If Jarome signs here and is offered the A by Brouwer, I believe he would decline it.

Iginla has always shown a lot of class. He isn't going to come in here and try to take over in anyway.

Which is another reason I'd love to see him back.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #418
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Iginla sold his house here, and hasn't really wanted any part of anything in Calgary since he left (no charity events here, no on-ice tribute, nothing local).

Think the fans are the only ones that want to re-kindle that relationship, doesn't look like anything the Flames or Iginla or interested in TBH.

And I am okay with that - the dude just isn't that good of a hockey player anymore and there is too much history to take a risk on him. Could you waive or bench Iginla in Calgary if he doesn't find his game...doubtful.
This.

Facts and that's why at the end of the day, it's a business and not a game to so many. Fans forget this because of their passion, but it's a business.

Last edited by iamca; 07-11-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #419
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope so damn bad he comes back. I might die of excitement. Then if we win the Cup with him, I'd resurrect and die again like 10 times.

My favorite all time player by a mile. It would just be perfect if my favorite player won with my favorite team.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #420
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Iginla signed with the Flames and we won the cup, each and every one of us would be able to die in peace. Yes, that's how shallow our lives are, but still.
Closed Thread