Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:29 AM   #2001
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
Who would win in a fight between Jankowski and old man Jagr?
Iginla of course.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #2002
DAN0383
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
Iginla of course.
Maybe Iggy can ref and Doan can be the guest timekeeper. Jagr would beat Janko quite handily I imagine.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #2003
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Everyone
Phenomenal answer.
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #2004
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Speculation about who might be a potential fit as Pittsburgh's 3rd line center:

Quote:
August is nearing, and the Pittsburgh Penguins haven’t made a trade or signing to replace Nick Bonino, their outstanding (but former) third-line center.

On the bright side, the Penguins have remarkable breathing room considering their status as repeat Stanley Cup champions. Cap Friendly places their 2017-18 room at about $10.38 million.

... Maybe the Calgary Flames would want to cut bait on Matt Stajan or (less realistically) Mikael Backlund?
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/07/20/...h-bonino-gone/
Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #2005
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

God yes please Flames cut bait on Stajan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #2006
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think it was brought up earlier this offseason too but Stajan makes some sense for the Pens IMO.

Pens have liked veterans as centers on their 3rd/4th line, Stajan is a good locker room guy who is not going to pout if he's put on the 4th line.

Stajan is still serviceable in that role and only has a year left on his contract. Probably more likely to waive his NTC for Pittsburgh - since he would then have a good shot at the cup.

Flames might even be willing to eat some of the cap hit which I think would make it palatable too.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #2007
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
God yes please Flames cut bait on Stajan
Here is my dream summer.

Stajan to the Pens for a pick.

Package of prospects (any Dman, Gillies, any non-Jankowski forward) for Duchene

If there is room left sign Iggy
Old 07-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #2008
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Package of prospects (any Dman, Gillies, any non-Jankowski forward) for Duchene
Makes no sense at all for COL. That's a HF style proposal. Keep dreaming.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #2009
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Makes no sense at all for COL. That's a HF style proposal. Keep dreaming.
The Avs have some sort of weird love for ex-Flames. Sakic has proven nothing that leads me to believe he is a good I hope he overplays his hand and Treliving fleeces him.

In addition I would say one of Valimaki/Andersen/Fox/Kylington + Gillies + one of Dube/Shinkaruk/Klimchuck/Mangipane is a very strong package

Last edited by Vinny01; 07-20-2017 at 06:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #2010
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I agree multiple prospects would be part of a deal for Duchene there's no way he gets traded with out a first round pick (don't have one to give for the draft coming up) or a guy like Bennett (no thanks)

I honestly think he stays in COL at this point and I don't really see where Duchene would fit in here being a LW/C anyways so I'll happily see us take a pass on this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 06:45 PM   #2011
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
While I agree multiple prospects would be part of a deal for Duchene there's no way he gets traded with out a first round pick (don't have one to give for the draft coming up) or a guy like Bennett (no thanks)

I honestly think he stays in COL at this point and I don't really see where Duchene would fit in here being a LW/C anyways so I'll happily see us take a pass on this one.
I certainly don't move Bennett for him and as you mention we can't really burn another first rounder. The Flames have a fairly strong system so sending a collection of prospects is our only option. I wouldn't even consider it but hearing Friedman drop the Flames name as a team in the mix it is intriguing.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #2012
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
The Avs have some sort of weird love for ex-Flames. Sakic has proven nothing that leads me to believe he is a good I hope he overplays his hand and Treliving fleeces him.

In addition I would say one of Valimaki/Andersen/Fox/Kylington + Gillies + one of Dube/Shinkaruk/Klimchuck/Mangipane is a very strong package
Don't think ownership would let him trade Duchene for prospects after what they traded O'Reilly for. Doesn't really matter if Sakic is good or not, he can't trade Duchene for players that won't be playing in the NHL next year, makes absolutely zero sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #2013
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

When it comes to hockey players, two dimes and a nickel doesn't get you a quarter.

And Colorado needs improvement right now. Even a twenty point improvement would likely mean another 30th place finish.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #2014
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
And Colorado needs improvement right now. Even a twenty point improvement would likely mean another 30th place finish.
Man, that has to be depressing for Avalanche fans.

Even at the Flames' lowest point, it was never that bleak.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #2015
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I disagree with a lot of what you said. It doesn't happen all the time but there are a lot of trades where a quality player is dealt for spare parts.

The Avs dont' need to get better now, you just said that even if they improve they're still garbage. They need to build a winner not try to "win now" (I know you're not saying they need to win now but improving now is pretty much the same).

The avs are the oilers of a few years ago, they either need to win a lottery and get a star or cut bait with a lot of their current guys and start from scratch.

Stajan to the pens for something, that something + a bunch of prospects and maybe even Kulak to the avs for Duchene
Old 07-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #2016
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you really need to be careful moving cost controlled prospects for an expensive contract at this point. Duchene at a 6 million cap hit makes up-ing Backlund next season and Tkachuk(If Duchene re-signs) the season after very difficult if no contracts go the other way. Duchene walks after a couple years and that's an expensive 2 seasons.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 07-20-2017 at 08:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #2017
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I think I disagree with a lot of what you said. It doesn't happen all the time but there are a lot of trades where a quality player is dealt for spare parts.

The Avs dont' need to get better now, you just said that even if they improve they're still garbage. They need to build a winner not try to "win now" (I know you're not saying they need to win now but improving now is pretty much the same).

The avs are the oilers of a few years ago, they either need to win a lottery and get a star or cut bait with a lot of their current guys and start from scratch.

Stajan to the pens for something, that something + a bunch of prospects and maybe even Kulak to the avs for Duchene
we'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for Stajan imo ... i'd do a second right now if that was offered.

but even that 2nd plus a couple of prospects isn't likely to get you Duschene if the rumors are true and Sakic already turned down a 1st and a Hamonic for him.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #2018
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A third for Stajan? I'd be shocked at anything above a 5th. More likely a 6th but lately I feel like I'm way off.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichKlit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 08:06 PM   #2019
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, no salary retained it's probably a 6th..
Old 07-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #2020
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Reto Barra was worth a 2nd, then Stajan could snag a 1st! Maybe Grand Master Burkie can give Wizard Treliving a lesson!
Closed Thread