Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #161
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I went to Best Buy and Visions this morning and Best Buy did not have any Audio Technica headphones on display or for sale in store. Visions had even less selection in store. I was able to try out the Monster Inspiration headphones and they seemed fine, but they were the noise cancelling version (which I don't want) and who knows for sure with the demo music they play. In terms of comfort I only had them on for a minute or so, but they were pretty good.

Overall, the M50S seems like a better reviewed model than the Monster Inspiration so I'd lean that way.

All the listings for the M50/M50S show an impedance of 38 Ohm so it should be fine for use on the iPod.
Long and Mcquade probably have the M50's that you can try out. They had a huge listening display when I bought my M50's there, plus you can plug in your ipod to listen to them on your device which is nice. Again, they remolded things a bit but I can't see why they wouldn't allow for it. You might find another pair there that are cheaper then the M50's but sound better on your ipod
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TjRhythmic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #162
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Bump...looking for some decent over the ear (but not on the ear) headphones to use at work with my iPod. Budgeting around $150 max, and while I've seen reviews naming a few (Sony MDR 7506, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, Audio Technica ATH-M50S), the reviews are also a couple years so I want to make sure I didn't miss anything newer that might be better.

I read the last few pages of this thread but the prices tend to be higher than what I'm looking for right now. Any suggestions though? Thanks!
You really can't go wrong with the M50s. They're the best headphone of any type under $200, IMO.

Check out the reviews at head-fi. You would be hard-pressed to find another community as knowledgeable about headphones as this one, and the M50s are an all-time favorite over there: http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-m50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjRhythmic View Post
I have the audio technica m50's. My favorite by far, best headphones I've owned actually, but they need power.
My iPhone drives them perfectly fine at around 80% volume. At my desk I use a Fiio E7 for an extra boost (and it sounds great) but I would disagree that they "need power".

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #163
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up getting the ATH-M50X and it sounds great on my iPod Classic. The only issue I have with the headphones so far is that they leak sound out way more than I expected, so I'll have to keep it down to avoid my neighbours in cube land hearing every song I listen to.

(I'll also have to find better quality MP3s of some of my favorite songs, as the quality difference becomes pretty obvious on these!)

EDIT: I also got a $25 Long and McQuade gift card (in-store or online) with the purchase that I don't think I'll need, so if anyone here would like I will offer a CP discount to sell it to you!

Last edited by Mazrim; 06-14-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #164
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a coilcable replacement for my headphones? Where to buy and what to buy?

This is all I seem to be able to find: http://v-moda.com/coilpro-cable/
I will likely pull th etrigger in a few days unless someone has a another recommendation.

Thanks!
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #165
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to get my hard of hearing Dad a set of wireless bluetooth headphones for his TV.

He's got a brand new Samsung, so it should be relatively easy to set up.

Any recommendations for a wireless TV set ofBluetooth headphones for around $200?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #166
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm looking to get some new earbuds for running anyone have any recommendations? Currently I'm using Shure SE115s but the cord is starting to get a loose connection on one end after 4 years so I'm looking to replace them with something.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #167
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Can anyone recommend a coilcable replacement for my headphones? Where to buy and what to buy?

This is all I seem to be able to find: http://v-moda.com/coilpro-cable/
I will likely pull th etrigger in a few days unless someone has a another recommendation.

Thanks!
Seems like a solid set of cables to be honest. Didn't find anything to compare to them. Headphonebar is where I would consider order them. Cost $32 + 6 bucks shipping. Shipping from Vanc so you would probably get them pretty quickly (few days probably?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
I'm looking to get some new earbuds for running anyone have any recommendations? Currently I'm using Shure SE115s but the cord is starting to get a loose connection on one end after 4 years so I'm looking to replace them with something.
http://www.amazon.ca/Victor-Stereo-H...keywords=fxt90

I use these, but I'm not huge on using them for jogging because of the cable flopping around and causing the buds to fall out. Sennheiser CX series might be worth looking into though, I recall having great fit with those. But I use this nowadays:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/produ...c96b7ebbe3en02

No cables to worry about. There are cheaper versions of this waterproof and cable less mp3 and mp3. No need to specifically choose Sony. I wouldn't suggest swimming with them, but if you shower with them on, I'm sure they would be fine.

Another pair that is comparable to the FXT90 that may fit a little better would probably be this:
http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-XBA-2-Dual...EHDW0P72594775

I probably would choose this over teh FXT90 if I had to grab another set of buds.

Quote:
I want to get my hard of hearing Dad a set of wireless bluetooth headphones for his TV.

Any recommendations for a wireless TV set ofBluetooth headphones for around $200?
No experience with wireless headphones, Sorry. If I had to shoot in the dark though and not worry too much dealing with them after setting them up, I'd probably consider looking at the Sony, Sennheiser or Bose offerings at Futureshop.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/produ...cdad3828a1en02

Not bluetooth, but looks like what you're looking for. Might be a little over budget, but don't limit yourself to looking up "bluetooth" headphones. I don't think there would be a Samsung vs Sony compatibility issue... but worst comes to worst, you can always ask someone at Futureshop and bring them back if it doesn't work. I think Sennheiser wireless headphones are worth looking into as well.

Last edited by DoubleF; 06-16-2014 at 11:00 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #168
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

I'd check these out (down to $179 from $249): http://store.sony.ca/mdr-10r-series-...t=pfm%3Dsearch

Old 06-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #169
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up getting the ATH-M50X and it sounds great on my iPod Classic. The only issue I have with the headphones so far is that they leak sound out way more than I expected, so I'll have to keep it down to avoid my neighbours in cube land hearing every song I listen to.
That's surprising - I've had very little leakage with mine. Do the pads feel like they're fitting strange?

Old 06-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #170
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
That's surprising - I've had very little leakage with mine. Do the pads feel like they're fitting strange?
Apparently I was being over sensitive. No complaints yet and I was testing the volumes initially with the office dead quiet. Loving the headphones!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #171
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

ME has these on sale: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36291
might do the trick.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #172
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just got this in my inbox.

Experience Headphones 20% off Car2Go Exclusive coupon: http://experienceheadphones.com/cana...r2go-exclusive
Old 07-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #173
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm looking for something with great sound for my ipod classic that I use at the gym.

I got a pair of beats but they get in the way a lot.

Any suggestions?
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #174
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I have noontec here in Iceland, bluetooth wireless for the gym is ideal.

http://www.amazon.com/Noontec-ZOROW-.../dp/B00DTWG9F6

But I only bought them because of a great deal I got here in Iceland, I'm sure there are probably better brands and bang for the buck out in Canada.

But obviously bluetooth for the gym is ideal, move your music to your phone
Old 07-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #175
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
I'm looking for something with great sound for my ipod classic that I use at the gym.

I got a pair of beats but they get in the way a lot.

Any suggestions?
What's your budget?

Which beats?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #176
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
What's your budget?

Which beats?
Budget isn't a issue but probably around 100-200 works. I have the beats by Dre the regular ones and I got in ear sol music ones which are awful the sound is atrocious for something that cost 80 bucks.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #177
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bose suing Beats for patent infringement.

http://www.cnet.com/news/bose-accuse...phone-patents/

Quote:
The next patent spat involving Apple may have nothing to do with Samsung.

Headphone and speaker maker Bose filed suit Friday against Beats, accusing the soon-to-be Apple company of infringing five patents related to noise-canceling headphones. The accused products include the Beats Studio and Studio Wireless headphones, and Bose has asked for financial damages and an injunction to ban the sale of infringing Beats products.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #178
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking for some decently priced/quality in-ear headphones to lighten the pack while travelling and came across these:

http://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Fit-N.../dp/B00SLVB71Q

For anyone looking I think they're absolutely fantastic. I'd be happy with them if they were in the +100 range. For $60 they're a steal.

For reference, my other pair is a Sennheiser Momentum (on-ear), and I've used the B&W P7s as well.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #179
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I recently bought a pair of Audio Technica IM-50 IEMs. I'd been looking for something that had a similar sound signature to the ATH-M50s over-ears. Authoritative, tight bass without being boomy or overpowering, good attack in the midrange, and clean, smooth treble with a decent soundstage.

The IM-50s delivered and then some! Deepest bass extension and punchy midbass I've heard in an IEM, but without sacrificing the midrange, which can be hard to find under $100. Sparkly treble without sibilance. Vocals & guitar sound fantastic, and they come with a set of Comply foam tips that I forget are even there after a few minutes, and provide a great seal.

Like the ATH-M50s, they sound great amped but they're sensitive enough to enjoy plugged straight into a phone.

For whatever reason they aren't sold here though. You can order them on amazon.ca here for $85 from Japan though (mine arrived in about 2 weeks). It's really a great price for these - a sub-$100 dual-driver IEM with detachable cable and great tips seems almost too good to be true but it isn't!

Definitely check them out if you're looking for sub-$100 IEMs.

The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #180
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Massdrop has partnered with Sennheiser to release the HD 6XX, based on the HD 650. I have a pair of the 650s and they sound amazing. The 6XX is supposed to sound identical but will likely have lower build quality to keep the price down. Theyre selling for $199 which will be closer to $350 with exchange and shipping. That's still a killer deal. Massdrop shipping can take forever (don't expect them for Christmas) but these will be worth the wait. Sign up now, I'm positive they'll sell out quickly.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote