Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #581
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I work in office for a large national carrier and things are a lot different for our guys. Everyone is on electronic logs and if you go 10 minutes over you'll have our safety department calling you and shutting you down. Electronic logs are going to become the law for every carrier in very short order, so there won't be any fudging of paper logs any more like there was in the past. Our drivers also get paid waiting time if they are stuck in road closures/weather, layovers if they have to stay somewhere overnight due to bad weather, safety bonuses (additional money per mile) for hitting certain milestones without accidents, full authority to shut down if they are feeling too fatigued or if conditions are too dangerous, etc.

I'm sure things are very different at the small carriers, but at the big boys safety and regulations are VERY important and focused on. Probably our biggest focus.
This is perhaps why my views on the industry are different than that guy yapping about how I don't know anything. With the big guys everything is monitored to the millisecond, electronically and no driver is getting away with fudging or ignoring anything.....internally.

But yeah, I'll concede that the small outfits likely have to bend and break rules, along with turning a blind eye to stay competitive with the bigger companies. It sucks, it's cutthroat.

I personally don't know why small long haul companies even bother operating. You're never going to make it against large carriers that have a pool of drivers ready to take a load at the drop of a single click command when you've got like 4 drivers on various points in their sleep schedule or still driving.

Either find a niche, typically with body jobs in cities, or interlining to small towns/cities within close proximity to large cities, or don't even try. And I guess the answer is; They do try and have to skirt the law to break even.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #582
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethrynn View Post
What do you mean by manipulating bunker time(I am assuming splitting your sleeper birth)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Yeah, sleeper birth. You have minimum sleeper birth times in a 24hr window, but your still subjected to 16hrs in the SAME 24hr window.
Giving birth in the sleeping berth of a truck seems like it wouldn't be an optimal place to have a baby.....

Giving birth whilst asleep sounds reasonably decent though.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #583
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ooops guess it is berth, my bad.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:24 AM   #584
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflamesfan08 View Post
Or even just the general mindset of people.

I've seen so many comments here and in other places about the attitude that running stop signs is OK if "its almost always safe" or some such nonsense. Its a stop sign. Stop. That's it. In bike terms, an Idaho stop is one thing, but running it at 80% of full speed is entirely different.

Seriously, the industry might have its own issues, but the population at large is more at fault, in my opinion.

Throw the book at the driver, and actually start ticketing the morons that run stop signs, urban, rural, whatever.
The problem isn't always with the drivers. You have to understand these guys are dispatched, limited to constraints given to them by people in the office. Sales guys make promises to appease clients and boost revenue, pressuring everyone down the chain of command.

I'll give you some examples. Guys are given time to conduct proper pre-trip inspections. But then I've seen it where a HUGE client is waiting on a load and pressures a trucking company to hustle up. So what happens? The manager is yelling at drivers to get that truck on the road, forget about the pre-trip and cargo checks. I remember one inexperienced heavy hauler not knowing how an excavator should be loaded on a low boy and then hit a bridge. That excavator was needed on site for the beginning stages of construction. The driver just took the load and was told to get moving.

I remember our company couldn't get permits in Ft. Mac, but promised the client an immediate start date for construction on site. What happened? We subbed out the mobilization. I know for a fact that sub couldn't get permits either because we tried everything but it wouldn't fit within the timeline. The sub got it there on time and rolled the dice on not having the permits.

Here's another scary example. One time I needed to find a driver who can pass a 6-panel piss test by the afternoon for a load promised to a big O&G company. Out of 10 drivers I asked, only one could pass. Were any of them fired? No. That's a huge part of your labour force and screws your committments up for at least a month. They all clocked in the next day and drove a 40,000 kg vehicle on public roads, with who knows what lingering in their system.

I've met very few drivers who fully know the HOS regulations for each jurisdiction because like what was mentioned already, the Class 1 program doesn't teach it. Do you think sales guys or dispatchers know it? They're the ones telling drivers to be "here, here and here within X amount of hours" and did so using Google maps alone. Whenever a hiccup happens like a driver refuses, they come to me ask me to "find a loophole". When I tell him it's not possible, they go around and look for a driver to roll the dice, whether internally or to sub it out, thereby squeezing a good family man out of working hours because he refused unsafe work. So what happens next time? The driver just accepts the job.

Its for these reasons the trucking industry has special regulations that enforce vicarious liability; meaning both the company and the driver can be punished.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #585
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow, some of the posts in here (that to me seem to be from knowledge persons in teh transport industry) are shocking, disappointing and yet not surprising
Old 07-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #586
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Court appearance will be in Melfort.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ncos-1.4739113
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #587
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I work in office for a large national carrier and things are a lot different for our guys. Everyone is on electronic logs and if you go 10 minutes over you'll have our safety department calling you and shutting you down. Electronic logs are going to become the law for every carrier in very short order, so there won't be any fudging of paper logs any more like there was in the past. Our drivers also get paid waiting time if they are stuck in road closures/weather, layovers if they have to stay somewhere overnight due to bad weather, safety bonuses (additional money per mile) for hitting certain milestones without accidents, full authority to shut down if they are feeling too fatigued or if conditions are too dangerous, etc.

I'm sure things are very different at the small carriers, but at the big boys safety and regulations are VERY important and focused on. Probably our biggest focus.
On one hand, I wouldn't be surprised if electronic logs were mandatory at some point here, but the industry would push back hard. The reason being: a commercial vehicle is anything with a GVW of 4500kg (federal) or ~11,600kg (AB). Thats every 1-ton truck or more on the roadway. That's a buttload of costs imposed onto the industry.

The majority of the issues I've encountered are stemmed from the fact that you can buy a big cube van, pick-up truck or otherwise commercial vehicle and aren't given an education in the trucking industry regulations. You could be a painting company or furniture mover, and go about your business not knowing you're actually a trucking company. Hell, I've seen companies buy a big rig and 50ft trailer and simply lean on the driver to "manage" the trucking side.

You apply for a safety fitness certificate, it comes with a hand-out that people toss away about trucking, and now you're good to register and insure your big vehicle. You buy a vehicle thinking about business related aspects, such as expanding or cutting costs, not thinking about public safety and adding more safety programs to your organization.

For these reasons, I think even with electronic logs regulations, companies will still skirt the rules. Unless you blatantly can't insure a truck without an electronic log, companies will roll the dice until they come across a CVE officer. That will never happen because insurance companies aren't vehicle enforcement officers.

I think the industry needs a type of COR program strictly for safety fitness certificates, related to vehicle insurance. I've seen what COR has done to improve worker safety and think the same could be applied to Transportation.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #588
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1016712403101331456

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #589
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1016716985747402754

Quote:
The suit alleges negligence by Jaskirat Sidhu, the driver of a semi-truck involved in a collision with the bus on April 6 near Tisdale, Sask.

It also lists as defendants the Calgary-based trucking company that employed Sidhu, as well as the bus manufacturer.

The lawsuit alleges that Sidhu received two weeks of driver training and, on his first time driving the route, failed to stop at a stop sign before hitting the bus.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #590
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

can someone explain to me why the bus manufacturer is a defendant in the lawsuit?
just a matter of suing absolutely everyone?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #591
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
can someone explain to me why the bus manufacturer is a defendant in the lawsuit?

Just a guess but probably because the bus disintegrated and threw all of it's passengers upon impact.

ETA: Maybe not disintegrated but lost it's roof and a whole side I think. Probably claiming that if it hadn't ripped apart, more lives would've been saved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.

Last edited by FireFly; 07-10-2018 at 11:32 AM.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #592
dre
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's because they had no seat belts.
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #593
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

It amazes me how little people have paid attention to the fact this driver had 2 week's training and the owner of this outfit has had success in starting up again under a different name.

The driver is in a world of crap here obviously but I just am left smfh at the lack of justice for ALL involved and I cannot blame anyone the families for doing all they can to get their lives back to some sort of normal.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #594
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know, but I remember at the time of the crash someone was interviewed and said that these tour busses with the big windows, etc. don't do very well in a crash compared to say, a school bus.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #595
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I don't know, but I remember at the time of the crash someone was interviewed and said that these tour busses with the big windows, etc. don't do very well in a crash compared to say, a school bus.
I don't know. would any bus have really done much better getting nailed by that semi at that speed?

and I'd love to see a hockey team put the miles they do use a yellow school bus.
there'd be a lawsuit there, too.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #596
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
It amazes me how little people have paid attention to the fact this driver had 2 week's training and the owner of this outfit has had success in starting up again under a different name.

The driver is in a world of crap here obviously but I just am left smfh at the lack of justice for ALL involved and I cannot blame anyone the families for doing all they can to get their lives back to some sort of normal.
I don't want vengeance directed solely at the driver. The company however should have some duty of care to ensure the safety of others on the road. Ultimately the system needs revamped to prevent inexperienced and or poor drivers from being released on to the highways prematurely. The reality that there are likely hundreds if not thousands of these cases currently roaming the roads leaves me worried that there is another ticking time bomb waiting to go off.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #597
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I thought Sask was a No Fault province

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Just a guess but probably because the bus disintegrated and threw all of it's passengers upon impact.

ETA: Maybe not disintegrated but lost it's roof and a whole side I think. Probably claiming that if it hadn't ripped apart, more lives would've been saved.

Did it rip apart or was it ripped apart by first responders?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #598
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Did it rip apart or was it ripped apart by first responders?
No, it ripped apart in the accident.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #599
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
No, it ripped apart in the accident.
Maybe sue the manufacturer of the flatbed, it cut that bus in half like a hot knife threw butter.

Obviously I'm not serious but to sue the Bus manufacturer is crazy.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:21 PM   #600
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mask being worn by one of Humbolt's goaltenders this season. I love the names painted on it but only visible under certain circumstances.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...stom-1.4770805
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post: