Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #161
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Retire Iggy's jersey, nothing else is appropriate for such an iconic Flames player.
Still say he is the best to wear one.
Theo should get #14 retired next, petty Ken King should get out of the way.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #162
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forgot that Vernon's was retired, thought it was just #9. Congrats to Iggy, this was a must.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #163
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

get rid of FAF

retire 12, 34, 14 and 25

end
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #164
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
or 34
34 wasn't honored yet. #2 and #25 were inducted into the FaF program.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #165
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Retire Iggy's jersey, nothing else is appropriate for such an iconic Flames player.
Still say he is the best to wear one.
Theo should get #14 retired next, petty Ken King should get out of the way.
Theo and KK were never a part of the organization at the same time IIRC.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #166
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

Seems pretty official to me. That's the typeset on the Vernon and McDonald banners. He's getting retired.

Good call.
There's no name on this. Are we sure it's Iggy and not Loob? It is the retro font afterall.

Or...

Old 01-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #167
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

No, it's clearly Flames legend Jim Tomorrow, still Calgary's all-time leader in showing up a day early to practice.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #168
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Ha, I forgot Jiri's hatred of Fleury. He could write a book.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #169
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman17 View Post
Selling?
They will be on the NHL Ticket Exchange.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #170
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

To digress on the Theo point a bit, as this has stuck with me for a while...

What Theo does today and the people he helps are great. He's found a new purpose in life, but the most recent crappy quotes from 2014 aren't that far away. This is also a business venture for him. If you don't believe it, head to his website to see what he offers.

Here's one that might make you a bit uneasy:

Quote:
One-to-One Coaching with Theo
ACCESS PERSONAL COACHING SESSIONS WITH THEO WHEN YOU ARE IN SEARCH OF A FRESH PERSPECTIVE. EMERGE AN EVEN BETTER VERSION OF YOURSELF FOLLOWING EACH MEETING.

Learn from a master of reinvention how to step out of old conceptions and continually redefine yourself—no matter how difficult it seems in the moment.

Theo Fleury has incredible life experience, both on and off the ice. He brings a wealth of knowledge to the topics of pursuing excellence and personal growth. His insightful perceptions look beyond anyone’s external behaviours to what lies beneath the surface, and he has an uncanny ability to get to the core of things quickly and thoughtfully. To his “real conversations,” Theo brings clarity, honesty and compassion – partly because he’s been there, and also because he’s wise enough to know that this kind of coaching helps him get healthier as well.

Armed with a deep and active passion for learning, Theo has honed his relational skills by placing value in connectedness and humility. Two worth-repeating ideas that Theo understands more than most:
1. The biggest obstacle in your way is you
2. To really thrive, it takes teamwork

Sometimes the best “coaches” are the ones who (like Theo), as players, would go the extra mile for every one of their teammates. Hockey is a lot like life, and we all know that for Theo, this is about way more than hockey.

How the session works
- Contact Fleury Enterprises to arrange a mutually convenient time with Theo.
- A connection via FaceTime will be arranged.
- Each session lasts 1 hour.
- All conversations are strictly confidential.
- Emerge an even better version of yourself following each meeting.

Every session comes with a complimentary signed copy of Conversations with a Rattlesnake, Theo’s recent bestselling book co-authored with renowned occupational therapist, Kim Barthel.
I don't know about you, but a one-on-one hour long FaceTime arranged by Fleury Enterprises doesn't come across as the most sincere way to help people. That it comes with a complimentary signed copy of his book tells me 2 things: 1. This isn't intended for multiple coaching sessions, and 2. This likely isn't cheap.

He's made great strides, definitely has a story that's worth listening to... but he's in the middle of mending bridges - not a golden saint worthy of praise. A lot of the credit he's getting is for putting his story to use, but this is his new business venture and not solely a new life mission for good.

That no one has worn #14 has been respect enough for me considering how he left, and how he's acted until very recently. He's on a great path, but honouring him today would be a bit odd to the owners and a good helping of fans imo
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #171
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Flames haven't officially said it was the Minnesota game yet. Imagine they announce tomorrow that it's actually March 25 against LA and it was just a perfectly timed leak to move tickets for a challenge game against the Wild.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #172
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Flames fans are funny.

Fan: Stupid team just retire 12 already! What are you waiting for!

Team: we are retiring 12

Fan: stupid team retiring 12 against wild. Pft.

You are so nice by calling them "funny".
Old 01-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #173
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Sure, I just think there are 4-5 guys who had better Flames careers

Are we talking about "guys" or goalie? He was the only Stanley Cup goalie in the history of the franchise. Without that breakaway save he did in the 7th games of the Vancouver series, Flames wouldn't have won the cup.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #174
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I'd like to take the time to share my tribute vid to Iggy I made when he was traded

Old 01-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #175
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
There's no name on this. Are we sure it's Iggy and not Loob? It is the retro font afterall.

And here, I though Howard Walker's immortal 3 game-stint was forgotten.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #176
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. Well done. I didn't know whether I was being too optimistic by hoping they'd do the right thing here and not FAF the best player in Franchise history. Aside from not playing his whole career as a Flame, Iginla is basically the closest thing the franchise has had to Steve Yzerman. When you have a guy like that, you retire his jersey. It's about more than just how good they are, it's about what they represent in their connection to the franchise.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #177
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lowest price seat is now $196 on ticketmaster.

That is what this player meant to this city.

(Section 120 a cool $1316).
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #178
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
He went out of the way to diminish the accomplishments of the Flames most exciting player to make sure people know how damn great he is.
Here's the headline: He's a jerk.
Great hockey player but a jerk.
I agree that there are alot of things about Fleury that are hard to like. You obviously have strong feelings about Fleury as a person which you have obviously have every right to. That's also why I don't agree with the jerk test for honoring an athlete's accomplishments. It is entirely subjective and based on your level of knowledge of the person.

Perhaps if you were aware of transgressions and other mistakes that had been made by former Flames already honored you would judge them differently? One of Fleury's biggest problems is his mouth, and the lack of maturity or intelligence or whatever it may be, that leads him to dumb, self serving comments. And it's why his character seems so easy to judge.

But I still believe it comes down to a personal matter between Fleury and the Flames organization. If as others have speculated that he has asked for financial compensation of some kind, well then too bad. He is essentially refusing the honor at that point.

But being a jerk isn't enough for me personally. I'd feel differently if someone put forward evidence that he'd actually harmed others in some way. Of course we've all been guilty of that, but those are the kinds of things that make me reconsider how I view an athlete's contribution to his team or sport.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #179
Wingman17
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I put out a call for tickets yesterday for this game on ticket exchange. Got a couple offers to get some tickets. I held off until I secured a hotel room. Then they announce this game so I booked a hotel and responded to get the tickets from the sth’s Both already sold. Lol. I quickly got onto ticket master and was able to get 4 tickets for my family. Just not all together. Still going to be an epic day to take my girls to there first flames game and my first flames game in 28 yrs. (first in the saddledome, seen them in Edmonton when I was 16). My 10 yr old is already counting her money so she can buy her own jersey and hopefully get some signatures on it. She then asked if I could buy her a frame for it like my jerseys I have hung up. Going to be an amazing first family experience.
Wingman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wingman17 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #180
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

Trying to buy tickets on kijiji from Nova Scotia all day. Four times I had a deal arranged only to have the seller either jack the price up last minute when they heard the news or just stop responding altogether. I got home around supper time and went on ticketmaster thinking maybe since it was the Wild there'd be a few tickets left. I think I got the last 2 PL tickets in the place for face value! My wife is telling me to sell them, but no way... I'll be there to cheer on #12 one last time.

Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote