Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #3901
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #3902
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It will probably end up in better training and a revised model that prioritizes community outreach, like it historically has.

You don't even have to wonder. You could just go and look it up.
And of course better training equals more funding, right?

It is becoming pretty evident that most police don't receive near enough training to help the deal with everyday situations.

So, not sure how defunding is going to help that.

But of course right now most decisions are being made on emotional reactions. You are right, there are certain cities that have had massive success with retooling their police force to focus on actual helping the public and community outreach instead of just 'responding' to threats.

Of course nobody cares about that because that headline doesn't sell.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #3903
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Note this is the Buffalo PD, the exact same force that violently pushed down that old man a few weeks ago. Even now, when they KNOW there's a spotlight on them, when they KNOW they're being recorded, they still harass and intimidate people who have done nothing wrong. How are they so stupid? If the had any brains whatsoever one would think they'd have enough sense to be on their best behaviour and do everything by the book at least for a few weeks until this blows over, but they just can't help themselves.
Like most military units that get out of control, it all comes down to terrible leadership creating a culture where this stuff has probably been acceptable for years, but only now being consistently focused on.

I read the other day that the majority of official complaints filed against police officers are filed by fellow cops. So if you have a cop with a long history of incidents still on the force, and still creating issues it means leadership is not handling the situations properly.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #3904
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

It is becoming pretty evident that most police don't receive near enough training to help the deal with everyday situations.

But of course right now most decisions are being made on emotional reactions. You are right, there are certain cities that have had massive success with retooling their police force to focus on actual helping the public and community outreach instead of just 'responding' to threats.

This has been mentioned about a million times but defunding doesn't simply mean cutting the budget. It means retooling. It means putting some of that budget elsewhere, reducing police salaries (while even increasing the number of police available), putting more money into training vs military equipment, etc.

Yes, defunding is probably the worst possible term, but used in this context, it doesn't mean "take all the money away."
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #3905
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wrong. better training =/= more funding. Just the opposite. Better training means less funding required as the police are better prepared to handle situations and the negative outcomes are less costly.

Quote:
That's because departments are busy spending money on military equipment and then the training it takes to use that equipment. This funnels money away from less expensive training that could help all officers and turns it into very expensive specialized training for a select few officers.

Quote:
Defunding is a mechanism of shift fiscal resources from one division in government to another. This means the budget shrinks for one and expands for another. For the police this means their budget shrinks and they have to make fiscal decisions on operational needs. The money is channeled toward completing the mission of the department and not on specialized divisions that are costly to operate.

For example, when my agency lost funding they reorganized and focused efforts on completing the mission. They mothballed a number of specialized units (Special Investigations Division, components of SWAT, reductions in motors, etc.) and went back to more tradition policing models with vanilla beat squads, detective unit, and a dual purpose SWAT team. All the expense was cut but service levels maintained.

Quote:

Yes, emotions play a role in decision making, but most governments make decisions based on needs determined by significant study. They know what the needs of their constituents are and address them accordingly. For the vast majority of municipalities across the country things run really well and the trust in the institutions of local government remain high. And yes, those stories are told in the media, they just don't grab the attention of the public. There's too much negative stuff going on elsewhere that bumps the good news from the news hole.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 12:20 PM   #3906
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Yeah, I've heard that one before too.

If someone tells me racism doesn't exist, I tell them to go to dinner with a black man/woman of the opposite sex, so people think you are on a date and if they do they will see it within minutes because there will be at least 5 people eye ####ing you for mixing the whites with the colors.
This reminded me of what happened when I lived in South Carolina.... The team of analysts I worked with was primarily female and black. (something like 10/12) So when we would go to lunch, it would be me the white man and several black women. The very first time I went with them they told me the waitress would give me the check for everyone. And, when it was time, she did. This happened multiple times. They told me it was because people assumed I was the boss taking his employees out for dinner.

/coolstorybro
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #3907
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think it's important not to confuse training with policy. In many of these incidents the police are acting how they have been trained. It could be schematics, but I personally think there're three key elements. Hiring, Policy and Training in that order.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #3908
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yes, defunding is probably the worst possible term, but used in this context, it doesn't mean "take all the money away."
Depends on who you ask. There are abolitionists who believe that this sort of redefinition undermines their cause.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #3909
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
I think it's important not to confuse training with policy. In many of these incidents the police are acting how they have been trained. It could be schematics, but I personally think there're three key elements. Hiring, Policy and Training in that order.
Cops deal with all kinds of different situations, and by all accounts are not properly trained on most, nor is there a playbook (probably due to a lack of proper policy or training available).

I think that is being exposed a lot.

Like Lanny said, most police departments have been militizing the police force. That includes not only the equipment they use, but also how they respond. How many years have we been hearing about SWAT teams raiding homes of completely innocent people? Or the fact that people could 'swat' other people they didn't like?

There have been people who have been saying for years that cops acting like the military, or having military resources will make them respond to incidents like the military would, but WITHOUT the actual training that the military would have.

I guess that is exactly what we are seeing.

From 2011.

How the War on Terror Has Militarized the Police

Quote:
At around 9:00 a.m. on May 5, 2011, officers with the Pima County, Arizona, Sheriff's Department's Special Weapons and Tactics (S.W.A.T.) team surrounded the home of 26-year-old José Guerena, a former U.S. Marine and veteran of two tours of duty in Iraq, to serve a search warrant for narcotics. As the officers approached, Guerena lay sleeping in his bedroom after working the graveyard shift at a local mine. When his wife Vanessa woke him up, screaming that she had seen a man outside the window pointing a gun at her, Guerena grabbed his AR-15 rifle, instructed Vanessa to hide in the closet with their four-year old son, and left the bedroom to investigate.

Within moments, and without Guerena firing a shot—or even switching his rifle off of "safety"—he lay dying, his body riddled with 60 bullets. A subsequent investigation revealed that the initial shot that prompted the S.W.A.T. team barrage came from a S.W.A.T. team gun, not Guerena's. Guerena, reports later revealed, had no criminal record, and no narcotics were found at his home.
https://www.theatlantic.com/national...police/248047/
Old 07-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #3910
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Depends on who you ask. There are abolitionists who believe that this sort of redefinition undermines their cause.
Exactly.

Hopefully cooler heads prevail, but lets not kid ourselves and think that 'defunding' doesn't actually mean getting rid of the police entirely.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #3911
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly.

Hopefully cooler heads prevail, but lets not kid ourselves and think that 'defunding' doesn't actually mean getting rid of the police entirely.
You believe that a majority of “defund the police supporters” would like to completely abolish police?
Old 07-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #3912
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What crazy person would advocate abolishing police forces entirely?

However, “defunding” is a poor word and I understand the confusion.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #3913
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
You believe that a majority of “defund the police supporters” would like to completely abolish police?
I'm saying that there is a certain segment of the 'defund' movement that wants to abolish the police, or at the very least seriously restrict their resources & ability to do their job.

Sure am not seeing 'retool' or 'revamp' the police. Defund means exactly that. Getting rid of the police budget.

“Defunding police means defunding police," the congresswoman said in a statement. "It does not mean budget tricks or funny math. It does not mean moving school police officers from the NYPD budget to the Department of Education’s budget so the exact same police remain in schools."

Of course, lets just ignore the increased amount in shootings in many cities as well.

Kettle is gonna blow eventually.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #3914
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Defund does not mean to 0 dollars...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #3915
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

There is a certain segment of any group that are absolute idiots.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #3916
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm saying that there is a certain segment of the 'defund' movement that wants to abolish the police, or at the very least seriously restrict their resources & ability to do their job.

Sure am not seeing 'retool' or 'revamp' the police. Defund means exactly that. Getting rid of the police budget.

“Defunding police means defunding police," the congresswoman said in a statement. "It does not mean budget tricks or funny math. It does not mean moving school police officers from the NYPD budget to the Department of Education’s budget so the exact same police remain in schools."

Of course, lets just ignore the increased amount in shootings in many cities as well.

Kettle is gonna blow eventually.
And a certain segment of the ;population thinks vaccines cause autism and that the world is flat. Using extremists to try and prove your point does nothing but invalidate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #3917
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Defund does not mean to 0 dollars...
Defund also doesn't mean retool.

Which is what SHOULD be said. But its not. Because those people dominating the headlines are those that want to literally defund and don't care what is left.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #3918
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
And a certain segment of the ;population thinks vaccines cause autism and that the world is flat. Using extremists to try and prove your point does nothing but invalidate it.
My point is being proven by what is dominating the headlines in most major areas.

And I also need not remind everyone that most of those areas are seeing an uptick in violent crime.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #3919
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Defund also doesn't mean retool.

Which is what SHOULD be said. But its not. Because those people dominating the headlines are those that want to literally defund and don't care what is left.
Some of them, yes, but that's not the consensus.

Just google "defund the police" and click on one of the many reputable explainers which include quotes from everyone including policymakers, sociologists, and activists, and you'll learn what it means.

The general consensus is also that the term being popularized is misleading, and detracts from the movement, because it allows people like yourself to dismiss it based on the name alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #3920
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should probably stop using the word defund and go back to reform.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread