Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #101
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I still think this is just an epic funk and once they break out of it they’ll be right back in the thick of it.
I really hope this is the case. Every team goes through stretches where they play crappy hockey and lose a bunch of games, and I'd like think that this is just one of those funks. Hell, Vegas had lost 5 straight before beating the Flames the other night. Also look at the Leafs and Nashville right now. They both have no shortage of talent, but are currently suffering through equally brutal losing streaks.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #102
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Screw the top line give them 4th line minutes until they get their #### together. Team is way better when they are not on the ice.
Usual top line did not play together
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:35 PM   #103
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
gio just abandons the far side avs player, who's just streaking in for the scoring chance. Instead Giordano shifts to the middle.

I haven't watched the replay again, but it just looked terrible during the initial replays I saw.

besides the one play, guy has been highly average.
Misses his partner
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #104
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Misses his partner
And he doesn't really have #### all to say or take any responsibility. Captain needs to stand up and raise hell.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:54 PM   #105
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I really hope this is the case. Every team goes through stretches where they play crappy hockey and lose a bunch of games, and I'd like think that this is just one of those funks. Hell, Vegas had lost 5 straight before beating the Flames the other night. Also look at the Leafs and Nashville right now. They both have no shortage of talent, but are currently suffering through equally brutal losing streaks.

The Flames just need to play the Flames to get out of this mess.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:00 AM   #106
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has there been any talk of relational/chemistry issues within the locker room? I find it suspicious that they stopped with the purple Gatorade right around the time they went into mediocre play. Something smells off to me with this team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PlayfulGenius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 12:28 AM   #107
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post

The unfortunate thing thing right now is that the Flames are in this funk early in the season, which amplifies everyones feelings about it. Last year they went into the funk on the tail end of the season when they were already in the clear, and because of that there weren't a lot of alarm bells going off. Now we all know what happened in the end there and it wasn't pleasant in the least.

My hope is that the team does manage to kick into gear when december comes around, and then goes on a tear through the final months of the season. The schedule is getting much softer in january as well, so a Flames team on a roll will have a pretty decent shot at getting hot at the right time this season. I still think this team is really good, and that they will show it over the course of the season.

However, it would be incredibly nice if the Calgary Flames at some point in time could show some sort of consistency in effort level an quality of play on a season-to-season level, because right now I hardly even bother to watch the games.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:44 AM   #108
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
Has there been any talk of relational/chemistry issues within the locker room? I find it suspicious that they stopped with the purple Gatorade right around the time they went into mediocre play. Something smells off to me with this team.
PG didn’t want to be under the microscope of a dreary winter Canadian hockey market and went south where the tax rates are better.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #109
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
There's a silver lining in all this. The playoff cutoff in the West is currently only 86 points. The Flames can get there with 63 points in their remaining 58 games. Not unattainable.

Admittedly, that cutoff is likely to increase a bit by season's end, but still...

Squeaking into the playoffs is a nightmare scenario. We need to make major changes. A good pick and the possibility of trades for picks is needed in a big way.

We need to ride this season out and build.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:37 AM   #110
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lucas Raymond future Flame
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:21 AM   #111
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually happy we can start following prospects and looking forward to the draft more.

Always look on the bright side of life, right?
Old 11-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #112
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Screw the top line give them 4th line minutes until they get their #### together. Team is way better when they are not on the ice.
I really miss Yanet.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #113
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
He's not a top 6 forward anymore. Is his play this season not making it any more clear? Guy can't get the puck in the net, or set players up.

It happens that older players play just drops off at a certain point.
I think it’s the ‘new dad’ factor at work, not a talent drop off.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #114
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Game Takes: Avalanche 3 Flames 2

- Calgary loses 5th straight
- Team digs 3-0 deficit
- Third line looked good
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #115
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This losing stretch reminds me of Brent Sutter hockey
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #116
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Lucas Raymond future Flame
Alexis Lafreniere is number one with Lucas Raymond and Quinton Byfield battling for second but I really think Alexander Holtz could hop into that top group by draft time.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #117
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Squeaking into the playoffs is a nightmare scenario. We need to make major changes. A good pick and the possibility of trades for picks is needed in a big way.

We need to ride this season out and build.

The team is one season removed from second in the NHL with largely the same roster. I just can’t see Tre doing a full tear down rebuild. I’m not saying it’s the right call, but I doubt it happens.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #118
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was looking for an article with a direct quote this morning but couldn't find one. But Geoff Ward was on the radio after the game last night and he didn't hold back.... went a little like this:

"We’ll find a way to win a game when a enough of our players have had enough of losing. How much we hate losing is evident in our effort levels on the ice. We're not there yet."

Pretty much tells us everything we need to know about this team right now.

He also mentioned when asked about Gaudreau that:

"Johnny is trying to make things happen.... or thinks he's trying".
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #119
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This team stinks.

When you aren't completing passes, able to make the simple plays, or work as a 5 man unit you can't expect anything but losses. Too many individuals.

In fact I will be using the Flames as an example for my sons Atom hockey team this weekend.
Who are some top players on the Flames? Johhny, Gio, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindohlm...ok great.
Now tell me who are some top players on the Islanders? uhh that Barzal guy. Yet the Islanders have managed to play some great hockey this season with points in 15 straight games.

This team plays like individuals. Not for each other, but for themselves. Given the coaching changes I'm inclined to believe this is a players issue.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #120
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could only watch a recorded game and whipped thru it somewhat. I'm not as down on this particular game as most people. I thought it was a better effort and I didn't mind the new lines' play together. They had the Avs on the ropes but the Avs just took huge advantage of the only two real opportunities they had plus a seeing eye shot Rittich should have had to take a 3-0 lead. Keep in mind they were missing two top 6 D. I thought play-wise they deserved a better fate. Maybe fancy stats proves me wrong, but that was my take.

Of course, it sucks to lose and the top players still got stifled, but I think it was better nonetheless. Is that a sign of better days ahead?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote