Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2019, 09:59 PM   #1161
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
What an idiotic equivalency this is. Eventually we Canadians are going to get so ‘respectful’ that we lose our ability to share opinions, debate ideas and seek truth in a public forum.
Such as, ideas on how to treat other people with respect?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #1162
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As long as your opinions aren’t bigoted or racist you shouldn’t have an issue with sharing or debating them.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #1163
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lucas Meyer, the national treasure that he is, has had a fun day with the hodge podge of loons that went to the 'Don Did Nothing Wrong Rally.' I mean, the 'Epstein Didn't Kill Himself' guy is the most reasonable guy there.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1194695709183873025

https://twitter.com/user/status/1194772795961565187
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 11:38 PM   #1164
Larry David
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Lucas Meyer, the national treasure that he is, has had a fun day with the hodge podge of loons that went to the 'Don Did Nothing Wrong Rally.' I mean, the 'Epstein Didn't Kill Himself' guy is the most reasonable guy there.

"so he wants rape gangs to wear poppies?" LOL
Old 11-14-2019, 12:16 AM   #1165
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Careful - people who sound like this guy maybe are not of entirely sound mind. And in those instances, while it's important their 'beliefs' are kept it check, you are not going to have any successful discourse that will changing their irrational beliefs through these kinds of interactions.
The jump between Cherrys quotes and this guys interpretation of it tells you he may not just be misinformed or ignorant. For all you know, this guy has Huntington's and this is one of the 'symptoms', or PPD, or bipolar etc.

Some people have crazy beliefs, some people refuse adjust those beliefs, and some people actually have an issue.

Just bringing it up because somethinf about this 'interview' actually strikes me as doing nothing positive for the anyone, at all.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:19 AM   #1166
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is that black dude holding up that sign similar to the hired token black dude/audience that you always see behind Trump during his speech rallies?

Lol, while I'm writing this and watching Stephen Colbert, i see this "Don and the Impeach" 🍑 i guess that's the trail of the Dons! Totally coincidental and hilarious!

Anyway, the mofo's interpretation of Don Cherry's "you people" is rape gangs are coming to Canada to take our women (milk and honey[s])? 🤣
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:39 AM   #1167
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

The Calgary Sun comment section for various opinion pieces opposing this firing are, well, especially illuminating.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #1168
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
The Calgary Sun comment section for various opinion pieces opposing this firing are, well, especially illuminating.
You mean these people, and those protesting, are allowed to share their opinion on a public platform and not get silenced by the frothing mob of SJWs waiting to pounce and sentence them to 6 months in the New School of (Politically) Correct Speaking? Too bad. I had $10 on "eventually we Canadians are going to get so ‘respectful’ that we lose our ability to share opinions, debate ideas and seek truth in a public forum."
Old 11-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #1169
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post

He believes apologizing is a sign of weakness & said exactly that in his biography.
Now *that* is a great Canadian cultural tradition! Too bad Don Cherry wouldn't embrace it. ;-)

Last edited by Jaybo; 11-14-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Jaybo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #1170
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

The truth is, maybe, that when a generation of old white people pass, some usually quietly unpleasant sentiment will pass with them. But probably not.
(and it's OK to single out those people, an easily identifiable group, who were born in the land of milk and honey)

Otherwise, when in doubt, Kenny Powers provides the answer.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #1171
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
What an idiotic equivalency this is. Eventually we Canadians are going to get so ‘respectful’ that we lose our ability to share opinions, debate ideas and seek truth in a public forum.
No, you can still share your opinions. All you lose is the ability to hide behind "politically correct" as if it could shield you from criticism for having crappy opinions.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #1172
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

CTV news poll was 60:40 that Don Cherry was right.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #1173
thewoodman
Draft Pick

XNot sure how a news poll on a dying and poorly managed medium can be accurate here. Who even watches the news anymore? (I do, and my daily interactions with people suggest they're more interested in their own "news"... not to mention that I barely know anyone who subscribes to cable TV anymore).

I think the most telling thing is; the total lack of actual support for this "cause" except for a small and passionate group of xenophobes. The crowd was all white and some of them were quite aggressive and obnoxious. I live across the street so I had a front row seat. Barely anyone came to support them yesterday.

Last edited by thewoodman; 11-16-2019 at 02:41 AM.
thewoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #1174
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was an online poll
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #1175
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
It was an online poll
Tin foil hat. With how they’ve kick started divide in the US and UK I wouldn’t be surprised if half those votes were from Russian IPs
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #1176
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope that lady Jessica Allen on the Canadian talk show also gets fired. We'll see how CTV deals with what CBC had to deal with. Her comments also are unacceptable. No place for her either.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #1177
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
I really hope that lady Jessica Allen on the Canadian talk show also gets fired. We'll see how CTV deals with what CBC had to deal with. Her comments also are unacceptable. No place for her either.
I mean, they weren't really that wrong....
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #1178
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I mean, they weren't really that wrong....
I think both Cherry and the talk show are wrong. If Cherry getting fired sets the precedent then her comments should warrant the same.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #1179
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I think both Cherry and the talk show are wrong. If Cherry getting fired sets the precedent then her comments should warrant the same.
Well, for one (and for the hundredth time) it has nothing to do with CBC. SN and CTV are also two different companies in charge of themselves, they don’t have to share any consistency with each other.

And then on your other point, is that really a precedent you want to support and maintain? I think both are wrong, but I think neither should/should’ve been fired for being wrong.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #1180
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Except this was the 1 billionth time Cherry has said something xenophobic and insensitive, and this time it crossed a distinct line. I don't know who that lady is, but I haven't heard much of her history of doing the same. She gets a mulligan this time, but sure, if she makes a habit of it, go ahead and fire her.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote