Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #41
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
I think if he had come out and said that he was disappointed in all Canadians who don't support veterans financially with a poppy donation, you'd be correct. The difference is he specifically targeted immigrants which is racism in a nutshell.
Nationally chauvinistic =/= racist. From everything I've seen of Cherry going back decades, he considers black Canadians to be His Guys, and Swedes and Russians to be Those Guys. The most common targets of his chauvinism by far are Europeans. He even gives it to Americans all the time.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #42
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious....do people who have immigrated (I’m thinking first gen immigration) buy poppies?
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #43
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cherry isn’t racist and this is just more virtue signaling and manufactured outrage by the left. He also has a point that people are ignoring because they’re attacking his delivery rather than focusing on the meaning of the content.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #44
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It is the singling our part that I think is bothersome.

I wish he had simply made the point “regardless of your background, whether you were born and raised here, the grand child of a veteran, or an immigrant now living in Canada, it’s important for us all to understand why we all have the privledge of living in what Canada is today, and would like to see everyone support the cause by buying a poppy”.

Instead he singled out immigrants and made them sound like free loaders.

He has a salient point I’m brining attention to this, but has just an awful way of communicating it, that is undeniably filled with generally bigoted undertones, which isn’t anything new with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #45
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As an immigrant to this country I do buy poppies ,I will always respect the price given for freedom. but I have a huge problem with Don singling out immigrants as not understanding the costs paid.

My wife emigrated from Poland, are you telling me she doesn't understand the costs ?

I am personally tired of his antiquated way of being "edgy" , I simply do not understand why he cannot promote his causes without finger pointing and blaming like this.

I had way more typed out and erased it because Coaches Corner doesn't get watched in my household anymore anyway. I work in retail and can only take so much stupid in one day.
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #46
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

To be fair, I watched the segment (first time I’ve watched coach’s corner in quite a while) and could barely believe they still let him on air. He was rambling and incoherent, much worse than I remember.

The apparent “racism” or whatever didn’t even really register. I’m not going to get into the ridiculous arguments about whether it was or, if it was, whether it was ok, but I find it hard to believe people still think those segments are good.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #47
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gotta admit its kinda funny that most of the people that are upset at Cherry just voted for a habitual blackface user to be our country's leader less than a month ago. Im not sure if I am supposed to be taking this seriously or laughing at the hypocrisy right now.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #48
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people’s outrage would be better directed towards Sportsnet over the continued Huawei branding on hockey night in Canada.

China is much more damaging than Don Cherry.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #49
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was also this recently

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/it...ut-don-cherry/

Given what we know about concussions and the seriousness of them, his views are not just out of touch but part of the dangerous part of hockey culture that needs to be removed.

He's an idiotic, hate filled man that should have been taken off the air 20 years ago.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #50
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Gotta admit its kinda funny that most of the people that are upset at Cherry just voted for a habitual blackface user to be our country's leader less than a month ago. Im not sure if I am supposed to be taking this seriously or laughing at the hypocrisy right now.
How do you know who people voted for?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #51
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

The comments made by Cherry were offside and I can't believe he continues to keep his job.

Threads like these are also dissapointing given that there are posters who are okay with comments like these. Even one person is too many.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #52
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
How do you know who people voted for?
I dont, but I still bet Im not wrong.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #53
Stauner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dont often agree with Cherry but this time i agree 100%
Stauner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stauner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #54
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Given Don’s history when talking about foreigners and the fact he literally said “you people” I’m not sure how anyone can give him the benefit of the doubt. People trying to place this in some context about his immigrant family and being an innocent comment are trying way too hard to rationalize his constant bigotry on coach’s corner. He’s been doing it for years.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #55
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Urbanites in canada: don cherry is a racist because he insinuated we don’t respect the troops if we can’t even give them a couple dollars a year and wear a pin to show respect to the troops.

Also urbanites in canada: no issues voting for a guy who wears black face and sticks socks down his pants to pay homage to white trust fund baby who blamed his error on privilege
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #56
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny darko View Post
Wow. He said people come to this country, they love the way of life, they love the "milk and honey" the least they can do is buy a poppy... That's racist? I had read some of the comments here first before watching and was expecting some crazy vulgar racist rant. He's proud of this country, and he's saying if you move to Canada and are fortunate enough to call this country your home, then support the veterans who fought for the freedom you're now enjoying.. he's not saying he hates immigrants. Good lord people.
The racist part is the assumption that they don't.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #57
Stauner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
The racist part is the assumption that they don't.
Is immigration a race?
Stauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #58
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Urbanites in canada: don cherry is a racist because he insinuated we don’t respect the troops if we can’t even give them a couple dollars a year and wear a pin to show respect to the troops.

Also urbanites in canada: no issues voting for a guy who wears black face and sticks socks down his pants to pay homage to white trust fund baby who blamed his error on privilege
Conservatives in Canada: OMG why are you all not paying as much attention to the black face thing! He’s a racist!!!!!!!!! Get him!!

Also Conservatives in Canada: Wow lol Cherry said something “racist,” and now the left is attacking him, it’s no big deal! Lol!

Yeah, looks pretty ####ing stupid on your side too. Get over it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #59
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Don Cherry - Could His Time Finally Be Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post

To me, this is apples and oranges.

From a political standpoint, the system is broken. There are limited options on whom
to vote for (a turd sandwich or a giant d-bag). Someone has to win and when there are only a two viable parties there isn’t much choice come vote time.

Fwiw, I’m an apathetic voter and want to find a way to get better candidates, higher accountability, and more transparent information into the hands of the citizens.

That’s a complex topic, none of which excuse Trudeau or Cherry being crappy at their jobs and dabbling in racism.

One stark difference is that there is no obvious reason why we need to be stuck watching Cherry on a program we enjoy in our leisure time when there are more than 2 awful candidates to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #60
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Curious....do people who have immigrated (I’m thinking first gen immigration) buy poppies?
I work with a guy from Saudi Arabia. Last year was his first remembrance day in Canada. He asked what the red flower on my jacket was, so I explained to him about the symbolism it has from Belgium and Northern France, and the significance of 11:00am on Nov 11th.

The next day he'd bought his entire families poppies to wear
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote