Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames Peters: 'You play sh*tty defence, good luck getting out of your own end'

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/peters-...wn-end~1810040

Quote:
Bill Peters was candid when talking about the play of his top line and explained that their strong defensive play is far more important than their recent lack of offence.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

He's right... I've noticed the Flames have had some serious trouble breaking out in some games because the defensemen haven't been getting enough support down low. Lots of fly-bys.

Sounds like Peters is complementing the top unit, though, with mention of its "strong defensive play." Lindholm has been a successful defensive presence for them.

Wonder if Peters is sending a message to some of the lower lines. Ryan's line in particular has had some iffy defensive results to begin the year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's true.

In the regular season you can get by with cheating to generate offense - but good luck with that come playoff time.

Transition play and offense starts with hard work and strong play in your own end - Flames are working on that this year in hope of building a better base for the their play come playoff time IMO.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #4
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Love it.

No need to paint it any other way. The giveaways deep in our end due to weak breakout passes have been atrocious. I find myself asking whether it's normal to have so many close calls, or whether other teams are able to execute exits without turning it over on every other attempt.

They're making the goalies bail them out when they shouldn't have to, and those two guys deserve a lot of credit for us having a .500 record so far.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I absolutely love that he didn't sugar coat anything. Gotta be hard on these guys, and it had to be said. That was a fantastic interview. It showed a coach that is absolutely fed up with the play of the team.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #6
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really like Peters.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post
I absolutely love that he didn't sugar coat anything. Gotta be hard on these guys, and it had to be said. That was a fantastic interview. It showed a coach that is absolutely fed up with the play of the team.
Especially after a win.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Peters may have a tiny bit of the crazy in him. His eyes are darting all over the place. He seems very worked up. I bet he can intimidate a few of his players.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

I know Monahan has been trying to be more physical this season, but our #1 C shouldn't be 20th on the team in relative Corsi. Backchecking, supporting your defenceman and covering your man in the defensive zone is what we really need from our #1 C. Not even expecting Backlund level defensive awareness, let alone Bergeron. An average Corsi would be a huge upgrade. And not picking on Monahan, as Ryan is dead last on the team here. Save the hits for the forecheck.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #10
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get a real weird vibe from this interview.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #11
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really concerning to be at game #12, and the Coach has no choice but to rip his team within the media....

Flames have had a crap start to their season.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I get a real weird vibe from this interview.
The swear words threw me off.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #13
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Really concerning to be at game #12, and the Coach has no choice but to rip his team within the media....

Peters may have lost the room after the all star game. Which would be a lot more than a dozen games. New coach, same shelf life.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #14
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Peters may have lost the room after the all star game. Which would be a lot more than a dozen games. New coach, same shelf life.
Calgary had a record of 17-12-2 after the All Star break last year. Not ideal, but hardly a reason to think that the coach has lost the room imo.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #15
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They have the same record as last year this time. Even lost to the same team to get to the record.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #16
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Darryl Sutter used to rip his team, and it’s top players, in the media all the time. It didn’t hurt his teams. I think it is necessary when you have players making the kind of money they do. They need to be reminded that this is their job and they have a responsibility to the coach, the organization and the fans!!
Old 10-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #17
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Way, way over-used by fans.

Sometimes the coach has to yell, or cal players out, or kick a garbage can. It is all part of the give and take, or ebb and flow of a season. It doesn't mean he's lost the room.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Darryl Sutter used to rip his team, and it’s top players, in the media all the time. It didn’t hurt his teams. I think it is necessary when you have players making the kind of money they do. They need to be reminded that this is their job and they have a responsibility to the coach, the organization and the fans!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Way, way over-used by fans.

Sometimes the coach has to yell, or cal players out, or kick a garbage can. It is all part of the give and take, or ebb and flow of a season. It doesn't mean he's lost the room.
I think it really depends on situation and individual players. Iginla reacted well when Sutter poked at him publicly. There were some players that Sutter never mentioned and I'm betting that's because he knew it wouldn't help and would probably hurt as far as reactions went.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #19
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

A month old but still relevant to the Flames' play so far this season. This line particularly stands out to me:

"When you get the puck you flip it to red line and you hustle to the bench and the other guys are under siege"

The defence, with some blame to the centremen, have been quite poor in this regard this season. How many times have Stone and Hamonic in particular blindly punted the puck off the glass or jammed it around the boards? Really tough to generate anything as a team when you can't exit with possession or speed, or are continuously icing the puck, and the wingers are set up for failure getting the puck at waist-to-head height on the boards/glass time and time again.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #20
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So a month later the players still haven't got the message? Not a good look for the coaching staff or players really.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote