Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #1
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default What is Mark Jankowski?

I have been following and rooting for Jankowski since he was drafted by we all know who.

His first season was pretty good with 17 goals although the question mark of a meaningless 4 goal game throw some question on the numbers. Now he certainly hasnt come out gangbusters i think most would agree, but seems to be coming around in the last few games.

So what is he?
Myself i see a second line center in him and here is why.

The not so good story.
The sophmore jinx is well documented and may be part of his struggles.
After a dissapointing season he saw the g.m. go out and make a jumber of depth moves which im sure he knew would limit his icetime. How much did it hit his confidence or did it at all.
For his size the board play isnt great. When hes moving his feet he seems to make good decisions but seems less so when just dishing it off. My own observation.
young player or vision?
GG did not help.

The good.
Last few games he seems to be much more assertive so sign of good things to come?
Great shot doesnt use it near enough. Can you get him shooting more?
He has a penchant for scoring highlight reel goals. Obviously the shorty against arizona was a bute.

I still see second line center in him. He scores highlight reel goals and if you can get him shooting more i see a 20 goal guy in him no problem. I think were just starting to see the player that he is and i see him as a key piece in 3 years.

Ill also add he scored his first goal off his Janclownski. How could a guy like that be a fourth liner or tweener . That says greatness.

My 2.37 cents. Thoughts?
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

He’s our future #2 center. If you’re old, you can think of him as Joel Otto. If you’re young, you can think of him as Backlund with more offensive upside.

I too have been a supporter since draft day. I can’t wait to see where it goes for him over the next 3-5 years.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

After many threads being derailed by Mark Jankowski conversations, I only feel it fair to ask one thing.

Is Sam Bennett who we think he is?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:01 PM   #5
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
He’s our future #2 center. If you’re old, you can think of him as Joel Otto. If you’re young, you can think of him as Backlund with more offensive upside.

I too have been a supporter since draft day. I can’t wait to see where it goes for him over the next 3-5 years.
He's a more Backlund-y Joe Colborne?
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nvm beat lol
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #7
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Lol
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:06 PM   #8
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't see how with all the tools he has, he doesn't become at least as good as Backlund (2nd line center) in his prime. So I'd agree.

Part of why he didn't pick up where he left off last season I think was due to a mix of inconsistency, underwhelming, "play-killing" play of linemates that were lacking confidence at the same time, and lack of ice-time/opportunity.

Since he started being more assertive and the collective bottom 6 are also playing better, his natural ability and skill is showing through.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #9
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s a 4th line center who can score a few goals and might be a decent 3rd line center one day. Hoping or expecting a 2nd line center is just setting yourself up for disappointment, in my opinion. He’s an NHL player, no doubt. But I don’t see that high a ceiling for him. He’s 24 already. At that age what you see is usually what you get these days. There’s still room for improvement but to improve that drastically at his age is rare.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:11 PM   #10
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
He’s a 4th line center who can score a few goals and might be a decent 3rd line center one day. Hoping or expecting a 2nd line center is just setting yourself up for disappointment, in my opinion. He’s an NHL player, no doubt. But I don’t see that high a ceiling for him. He’s 24 already. At that age what you see is usually what you get these days. There’s still room for improvement but to improve that drastically at his age is rare.
2nd year in the league but no room for improvement? Dont agree.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #11
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

4th line plugs dont score the kind of goals he scores.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:28 PM   #12
flizzenflozz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Do you recall when Backlund emerged?
flizzenflozz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flizzenflozz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:28 PM   #13
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post

I'll be extremely happy if Jankowski turns out to be another Joel Otto.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #14
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys do realize he's 24 already right? Not many guys in particular forwards progress much beyond that age, given where he's at now it's highly unlikely he ever reaches Backlunds level.

3rd/4th line tweener i think is his upside.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:37 PM   #15
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it's time we crack his skull open and feast on the goo inside.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:45 PM   #16
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
You guys do realize he's 24 already right? Not many guys in particular forwards progress much beyond that age, given where he's at now it's highly unlikely he ever reaches Backlunds level.

3rd/4th line tweener i think is his upside.
2nd year in the league but he cant learn anything after 24. Yes it bucks the trend bit so has everything hes done. And as far as players not progressing Gio says hi.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #17
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Came in for this, leaving very satisfied.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:03 AM   #18
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Before we start labelling him the future 2nd line Center, I’d like to see some consistency in his play. We know he has a great shot, great hands and long reach with his stick. It would be nice to see him use that shot more and also show some play making abilities.
Seeing him use his size and reach more to protect the puck would be a good thing too.
Right now and for the foreseeable future, I think 2nd line Center belongs to Backlund.

I do believe that Janko still has some time to grow his game though as this is only his sophomore season, regardless of his age.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:34 AM   #19
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only similarity him and Colbrone have are that they are tall. I’d like to see that comparison end. Colborne was always bad and went weeks without doing anything , which is why he has 2 goals and 2 assists in 13 games in the AHL. Jankowski has gone through some highs and lows so far in his NHL career, but when he’s engaged and feeling it he’s a massive asset and Peters has been using him a fair bit on the PK. He has a lot of tools and attributes that fit a second line center role but obviously he needs more consistency. The talent is without a doubt there and I’m very glad he’s on the roster, a lot of teams don’t have a player like Jankowski on their bottom 2 lines. Just watch the Edmonton-Dallas game and see the types of players they are rolling out on their 3rd and 4th lines.

Last edited by Beninho; 11-28-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:37 AM   #20
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd like to say in terms of not being a first round bust, we did okay. It was an unconventional pick that has panned out to some degree.

He's got reach and some hand eye. I do think he's had a couple great games and hope he can just push it that much more to reach the next level.

I'd also say that Bill Peters who scrubbed him for the early part of the season has been utilizing him in a very smart way.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote