Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #201
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
What Janko could be is a potential rallying point.

Seeing this team slide, and Janko with zero points, a coach could take him aside and say, 'this game coming up, you're going to play fast, physical, and work the boards. You're going to hit. You're going to get a big chance here, but you need to be the hardest working guy on the ice.'

And then you set the lines, and tell the team, 'come on boys, we're going to get Janko some points tonight. He's going to throw everything he has out there, and we're going to support him.'

First line minutes, powerplay time.

Get the team outside of their heads and playing for someone, and not numbers. Maybe even get Janko to figure out the kind of player he could be.

In a dream world. Peters isn't that guy.
In a dream world? Peters sets his game plan around getting Jankowski a point? This all seems really silly to me.

As said above Jankowski is a fringe player. You don't play him a bunch of minutes that he hasn't earned as a feel good story.

Last edited by bax; 11-19-2019 at 11:07 AM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #202
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
More than 0 points.

All that you say may be true, but even if it is, a guy needs to at least put up some points, because there are other players just as good defensively, who can.
Thing is with being on 3rd and 4th lines is that you don't really get to score all that much or even a potential to score. Conroy even said the same thing before he retired when he got demoted to the bottom six. When Janko first started and the team wasn't very good and things were more wide open, sure we saw him score that 17 goals, 4 of which came in the last game or something like that. With him being on PK and on 4th line duties right now, you ain't gonna see him score all that much, especially with pluggers on the 4th line whose jobs are to grind things out and their times are usually limited.

Needless to say, if you have 3 or even 4 lines contributing to scoring on a regular basis, the Flames wouldn't be in the situation they're in right now. Most teams in the NHL, the bottom six forwards don't score all that much as compared to the top 6.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #203
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
What Janko could be is a potential rallying point.

Seeing this team slide, and Janko with zero points, a coach could take him aside and say, 'this game coming up, you're going to play fast, physical, and work the boards. You're going to hit. You're going to get a big chance here, but you need to be the hardest working guy on the ice.'

And then you set the lines, and tell the team, 'come on boys, we're going to get Janko some points tonight. He's going to throw everything he has out there, and we're going to support him.'

First line minutes, powerplay time.

Get the team outside of their heads and playing for someone, and not numbers. Maybe even get Janko to figure out the kind of player he could be.

In a dream world. Peters isn't that guy.

Or you could say hey Mark remember the one game we gave you centering Gaudreau and you scored 4 goals. Well guess what we totally decided you should never ever play with him again. That will teach you!!
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #204
Domoic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I interpreted Harry's post a little differently, I guess.

That is, give Janko some kind of ultimatum, with a positive bend, a rallying point. Maybe it could help him and, in turn, help the team.

Because of as right now, Janko is not even a fringe NHL player. He is an AHL player.

I mean, what do the Flames have to lose? It would be addition by subtraction at this point if we waived him. Why not try and salvage a 1st Round pick that has at least shown SOMETHING in the past and that has consumed a lot of our development resources?
Domoic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Domoic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #205
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
In a dream world? Peters sets his game plan around getting Jankowski a point? This all seems really silly to me.

As said above Jankowski is a fringe player. You don't play him a bunch of minutes that he hasn't earned as a feel good story.
I agree.
You never make it about getting someone a point.
It's about getting a win.
Sends completely the wrong message. And frankly if I was Janko it would humiliate me and make it feel like I was being treated like a pee-wee player who hasn't scored all season.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 11-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #206
Domoic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^start a "Rudy" chant?
Domoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:17 PM   #207
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not good enough. Waive him.

If I was GM I'd be willing to chance that no one will take him off waivers, and if they do, then fine. He can get a fresh start there, and if not, then he can go down to Stockton to find some semblance of what he had before.

Last edited by Karl; 01-06-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:25 PM   #208
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah it's time for him to "pack his ####" as Commodore would say.

He is a bad hockey player this year. Contributes very little even on the PK these days which is a spot he was pretty good at in the past.

No reason he should be starting ahead of some other guys in stockton who have done the work and earned a look. Gawdin for one, who is also a RS which this club desperately lacks.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:28 PM   #209
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. 1 assist in 35 games is just brutal. Time for the team and player to go their separate ways. Give him a fresh start somewhere else.
JurassicTunga12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #210
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel like he should have made a better effort on Minnesota’s 4 goal as Greenway was his man and he couldn’t tie him up well enough.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:10 PM   #211
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Still waiting for him to be the best player from the 2012 draft.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:50 AM   #212
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Big but doesn't use his size as much as he should, an ok skater but not fast, supposedly good defensively but still struggling with that, good offensively in college but doesn't put up any points.

He's just taking up space at this point.

I was a big fan of his as a prospect, so it's kinda sad to see him look like a player that's still struggling to make it as an NHL'er. If he was signed out of junior as an overager or from the UofA or something would anybody be upset if he was sent to Stockton or released? At this point we should forget where he was drafted and ask ourselves what he's bringing to this team that another player can't. The answer for me is......not much.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 04:04 AM   #213
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the life of me I can't think of any reason why Jankowski is still on this team? for centers Quine is better for sure, Gadwin is over a PPG as is Phillips.

Brad, in case you haven't noticed Mark has one,yeah one assist and is -13 on the season and every game he seems to have a bonehead moment that costs us, waive him to Kansas city at this point
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 05:55 AM   #214
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Hes soo much better than Bennett . Let's shoot Bennett into the sun . Mark just plays so well. Hes the moon and the stars.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:53 AM   #215
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Hes soo much better than Bennett . Let's shoot Bennett into the sun . Mark just plays so well. Hes the moon and the stars.

They’re both terrible.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #216
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Janko recovery attempt should have ended 10-15 games ago.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #217
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Yeah I'm starting to think Jay Feaster may have been wrong.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #218
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jankowski plays like he is on the penalty kill no matter what the situation is on the ice. It's probably a lot to do with his role on the team, but it's not going to do him any favours confidence wise offensively long term. He needs to play more proactively and with some more push instead of sitting on his heels trying to put his stick in lanes, we've seen him be successful in the past. He honestly has one hand on his stick 80% of his ice time it seems.

I believe Jankowski is a much better player than we are giving him credit for, but his role on the team doesn't suit him right now. I don't think it's wise to let him marinate on the 4th line.. Either give him some opportunity or trade him somewhere where he might be able to salvage his career.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #219
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Yeah I'm starting to think Jay Feaster may have been wrong.
Hah.

The funny thing is, there aren’t a whole lot of players taken afterwards that have done any better (especially round one). It wasn’t a great draft year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #220
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel awful about him, he showed so much promise last year and really did well in a PK role. Not sure how things went this bad for him. Especially since he proved all the doubters wrong when he was picked. But its clear that he is not he same player as last year
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post: