Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-03-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
RichieRich
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default TPMS change

Just installed some winters on new rims onto 2015 Acura MDX SUV. Totally forgot about TPMS and don't have them. Now car computer is squawking about it and I can't find way to disable it. Yes the summer wheelset has TPMS installed.



What's the forums advice on TPMS... suck it up and get the internal ones installed, installed external ones on each valve, or ??? I'm too cheap to buy Acura branded ones so alternate options appreciated.


Location: NW Calgary
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #2
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Well they did change, did you not get the memo? If you would just use the right cover letters then Lumbergh wont hassle you.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

If it's just a light blinking you can cover the warning light with tape. Alternatively you can buy them from e.g. Amazon or tire shops but they may have to unmount your tires to do it. It's going to cost.

ETA unless they're run flats. You probably want TPMS on those?
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

can you get external ones? have you tried calling a tire shop? perhaps there is an aftermarket alternative for your vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
What's the forums advice on TPMS... suck it up and get the internal ones installed, installed external ones on each valve, or ??? I'm too cheap to buy Acura branded ones so alternate options appreciated.
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
can you get external ones? have you tried calling a tire shop? perhaps there is an aftermarket alternative for your vehicle
Probably talking about these. But considering how little attention people pay to their vehicles in general, I’d say that they are near useless.

https://www.amazon.ca/Pressure-Monit.../dp/B00SM721IM
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player
 
PsYcNeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Marseilles Of The Prairies
Exp:
Default

Waste of money in general. I just ride with the light on all winter.

Alternatively you can haul around your summer tires in the back for grip weight and the TPMS will be detected.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
REDVAN
Franchise Player
 
REDVAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I have a 2010 MDX with 2 sets of rims.

I have a set of "summer" aftermarket rims, and I paid the extra 200ish for TPMS installed... now they switch over automatically after a few minutes of driving after I change wheel sets.

Worth it for me, because I like to know my tire pressure while driving is fine- and I didn't like the orange lights all the time.
__________________
REDVAN!
REDVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:12 AM   #8
bc-chris
Franchise Player
 
bc-chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kelowna, BC
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Just installed some winters on new rims onto 2015 Acura MDX SUV. Totally forgot about TPMS and don't have them. Now car computer is squawking about it and I can't find way to disable it. Yes the summer wheelset has TPMS installed.



What's the forums advice on TPMS... suck it up and get the internal ones installed, installed external ones on each valve, or ??? I'm too cheap to buy Acura branded ones so alternate options appreciated.


Location: NW Calgary

heh.... user name and the bolded part made me laugh
__________________
"...and there goes Finger up the middle on Luongo!" - Jim Hughson, Av's vs. 'Nucks
bc-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bc-chris For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player
 
Huntingwhale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Waste of money in general. I just ride with the light on all winter.

Alternatively you can haul around your summer tires in the back for grip weight and the TPMS will be detected.
Me too. Something wacky is going on with my winter tire's sensor and it stays on no matter what. I just make a point of checking the pressure regularly to make sure it's still good. Otherwise the light on has become a part of my driving life.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #10
jwslam
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Just installed some winters on new rims onto 2015 Acura MDX SUV. Totally forgot about TPMS and don't have them
What awful seller did you go through to buy these where they didn't advise you of this potential issue?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:31 PM   #11
RichieRich
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Waste of money in general. I just ride with the light on all winter.

Alternatively you can haul around your summer tires in the back for grip weight and the TPMS will be detected.

Looks like we have a weiner...er... winner. Oh and the duct tape to block the light. I wonder how long that'll take my wife to notice? joking. of course.
More likely it'll drive me crazy and then I'll post a confession on the gear grinder pages, but try to avoid inspiring hate against SUV's, winter driving, and Calgary's hurtin O&G

Last edited by RichieRich; 11-04-2019 at 10:37 PM. Reason: more details
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #12
RichieRich
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
What awful seller did you go through to buy these where they didn't advise you of this potential issue?

The irony of being "RichieRich" and being too cheap. ha!

I bought them off wrecked vehicle for cash at chop shop, hard to complain when tires are 80% tread left, X-Ice2, and decent rims all for $500.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 11:04 PM   #13
powderjunkie
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Hoping on my next car I can achieve TPMS on the winters and not the all-seasons like I have now. Winters are on for 7 months and checking manually is a far greater pain when it's cold out since I find it's best done without gloves...

I feel like when I last looked into this you might need a special tool to recalibrate yourself every change / changes cost more at KalTire etc.? Or is my 2010 honda just incapable of remembering two sets of sensors?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #14
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Hoping on my next car I can achieve TPMS on the winters and not the all-seasons like I have now. Winters are on for 7 months and checking manually is a far greater pain when it's cold out since I find it's best done without gloves...

I feel like when I last looked into this you might need a special tool to recalibrate yourself every change / changes cost more at KalTire etc.? Or is my 2010 honda just incapable of remembering two sets of sensors?
Ford is the same. The vehicle has to be synced with the sending unit in the tire when I swap them over. I just get it done at Costco. I swap out the wheels at home and just pull up to the tire shop doors when we go shopping at Costco. Our Ford has a convoluted system where you have turn the key twice, step on the brake three times and it enters the learn process. Then the tire guy goes to each tire with a handheld tool and gets it to sync with the computer.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #15
jwslam
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I feel like when I last looked into this you might need a special tool to recalibrate yourself every change / changes cost more at KalTire etc.? Or is my 2010 honda just incapable of remembering two sets of sensors?
My 2009 Accord required re-programming between sets. I just left the light on.

My GF has a 2016 MDX. It will learn the new set of tires ~50km after swap.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #16
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player
 
FurnaceFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 110
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Me too. Something wacky is going on with my winter tire's sensor and it stays on no matter what. I just make a point of checking the pressure regularly to make sure it's still good. Otherwise the light on has become a part of my driving life.
They likely need to be reset/calibrated/whatever. The tire shops do it in seconds or you can get the device off Amazon. The tire shop I take mine to made an offhand comment a year ago if the sensor reset doesn't stick, they might need new batteries. I had never heard of this before but perhaps that's what you're experiencing?
__________________

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.
_________________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mdx , tire , tpms , winter

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:04 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016