Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-21-2020, 06:14 PM   #61
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm wondering if the Mercedes Racing Point is going to dominate the midfield. Them, and McLaren. Haas still sounds lost in the wind, Alpha/Alfa are just OK, and Williams is a wild card. I'd be surprised if Renault puts up all that great a showing, unless they figured out how to build an engine.

Also, Ferrari is sounding like they are slipping. Red Bull might beat them this season, particularity if the Honda engine can take a step.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:26 AM   #62
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to see the Midfield go

-McLaren
-Racing Point
-Haas

I love Riciardo but dislike Renault so hopefully they just implode entirely, rarely pick up points and he can move on to a better team. I want Williams to be able to beat them, Alpha Tauri and Alfa
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #63
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haas is way more fun to watch when they are losing.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #64
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Haas is way more fun to watch when they are losing.
Haha, very true. I do like the team, but really wanted them to move on from Grosjean
Old 02-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #65
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
I think that's the grey area, toe will definitely change how the car handles and steers. It increases/decreases the frontal surface area which changes drag and aero flow over the tire and subsequently barge boards/side pods. It also changes the contact patch (tire wear). It doesn't need to change very much but these teams are chasing 0.01s...

But is doesn't change any of the shape, length, connection points to the suspension.

It truly is brilliant, dont get me wrong. It is one of the few times we get to see such incredible innovation so clearly. The f-duct was also cool. Lol.

@Cecil...I think that 10 team approval is for a rule change only, correct?? I think this change just needs a protest under a race and to have a steward agree with the protest. How is it already banned in 2021, did they say no moveable steering linkage?

I also read that Merc could totally be playing headgames with the rest of the paddock. They could be running it anyways to completely distract the other teams. If thats the case, that is also awesome. #intrigue
Yes, rule change. So only applies if it was found legal and teams wanted to stop it.

As for the 2021 already banning it, I saw it on reddit. The wording of the regulation was changed to outlaw the Merc system. This is in the already published rules I think. As in they changed it already knowing Merc was gonna do it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 07:24 PM   #66
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Lol

NSFW!
Old 02-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #67
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drive to Survive season 2 out today
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 12:21 PM   #68
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Forgot about this, yes!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #69
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

First episode in, I can't wait for the rest. Seeing the behind the scenes of all the Haas drama especially, I can't wait
Old 02-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #70
jayswin

Exp:

Yep, first episode was great. Way different vibe with the top two teams in it. So far it feels like all the best stuff will come from Red Bull and the mid field. I'd imagine Ferrari and Mercedes are participating very begrudgingly relative to how they like to operate.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #71
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yep, first episode was great. Way different vibe with the top two teams in it. So far it feels like all the best stuff will come from Red Bull and the mid field. I'd imagine Ferrari and Mercedes are participating very begrudgingly relative to how they like to operate.
Yeah I think their participation will mostly be interviews and whatnot, probably not a lot of behind the scenes stuff. Hope I'm wrong though, sport could really do well showing off the bigger personalities in Hamilton and Vettel more
Old 02-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #72
jayswin

Exp:

As amazing as this is, I'd almost love to see the same production company produce this as a monthly release for Netflix based on the current season.

Not complaining about everything we get to see behind the scenes, but how cool would it be to see some flare ups or huge decisions/disappointments one week and then three weeks later see a well produced, behind the scenes look at it?
Old 02-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #73
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would be amazing. All I can think watching this is I wish I could remember some of these moments on track as it happened, would make it much more interesting
Old 02-29-2020, 12:39 AM   #74
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Anyone remember people thinking something fishy was going on with Ferrari power last year and the FIA investigated?

Well, they reached a decision...except it’s gonna stay confidential between the FIA and Ferrari.

But here’s a juicy piece of gossip from AmuS, a German F1 news site:

Quote:
A completely new engine had to be built in Maranello over the winter. Even the turbocharger and the energy recovery system were affected. According to measurements, this new engine has significantly less power than the old one and is one of the reasons for the disappointing top speed on the straights
Old 02-29-2020, 06:32 AM   #75
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So does Ferrari get to play by a different set of rules? That’s some fishy BS. I hope Ferrari finishes a distant third to Mercedes and Red Bull this year.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #76
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

No one really knows and the official statement is quite short.

Quote:
The FIA announces that, after thorough technical investigations, it has concluded its analysis of the operation of the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Power Unit and reached a settlement with the team. The specifics of the agreement will remain between the parties.

The FIA and Scuderia Ferrari have agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 Power Units for forthcoming championship seasons as well as assist the FIA in other regulatory duties in Formula 1 and in its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels.
FIA released this statement at the end of the day, on a Friday, at the end of testing when teams/officials won’t be available for interviews until Aus when they’ll all be talking about the start of the new season.

So you can imagine why people are suspicious. On the other hand, if unlikely based on what we know about Leclerc’s car and fuel measurements, it is possible Ferrari had a legal loophole and will now help the FIA enforce it on other teams.

However it’s far more likely they were cheating but the FIA couldn’t prove it conclusively. To save both orgs a lot of ugly fighting they agreed to make it illegal going forward and in exchange for not pursuing any punitive action against Ferrari, they help the FIA ban it for all teams.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #77
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bing watched 8 episodes yesterday. Great series again, the best sports documentary I’ve watched recently. So much behind the scenes politics.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #78
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

My only complaint so far, 3 episodes, is that they didn’t sufficiently out Rich Energy for the scam artist money laundering Ponzi scheme that it really is.

Instead they tried to tie it into Haas’ poor performance, which had nothing to do with the dissolution of the contract.

Otherwise it’s been incredible. I think they’ve done a better job of giving us more realistic views of the cars screaming by. As usual the behind the scenes stuff is incredible.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-29-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #79
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

My only complaint is minor, I wish it didn't jump around the season so much. I get it, each episode focusing more on certain storylines themselves. But one episode is focusing on something near the end of the season then the next will be back to Montreal or something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #80
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A good summary of the Ferrari shenanigans

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.moto...e/4703298/amp/

Maybe Ferrari has a little too much clout?
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post: