Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #161
FacePaint
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

BVC hosted an online event called Career Boost today which I thought was amazing. I believe that the presentations will be posted online at some point which might help with those that are feeling down.

There's also an online pilot called Career Hero that focuses on meaningful Career change which some of you might find helpful as well. Send me a message if you're interested and I'll try to help direct you.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:33 AM   #162
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was wondering if anybody on this form has any experience with EI back pay claims? I know this sounds stupid, and perhaps I am just an idiot but here is my quick story.

I was laid off from a job a couple of years back, I got a decent severance package and was hesitant to apply for EI. I didn't want to "get government money and handouts" even though this is an employment insurance program for that reason. I know, like I said an idiot.

Friends and family convinced me I should apply so I took their advice and applied over a year after being laid of. I got a declined claim due to not having enough workable hours, which I knew cause I didn't work in the year it was being claimed. I tried calling the contact center to show that I was claiming EI from the years and years of working full time. It was a gong show, couldn't get through and I just quit and had a minor bout of mental health and probably depression associated with everything.

Fast forward to 2020 and I am ready to get back in the game, feeling good about a whole host of aspects of my personal life and than Covid happens. I am regretting not getting EI when I had the chance and now with job prospects looking weak, I am looking at a back pay program.

Anybody have any experience?

Thanks in advance!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #163
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I'm changing things up because things are going so well (Sarcastic) on the application front with not a lot of responses or interview requests (3 in the last month, none of which went anywhere).

I'm working on my PMP certification, and taking the courses on line, I figure I can put a few hours in a day out of the 140 expected hours.

I'm doing some consulting for a collegue that's setting up a business. I'm not making a bunch of money on this, its going to be pretty light, but I'm working with him on his product selection, sales effectiveness and tips, pricing model and product and service offerings. I'm going to work with him on his online messaging as well. I've negotiated that if he needs me to attend meetings, or I have to work on proposals or closes that I get a piece of any profits.

Again, I doubt its going to generate business, but I can add these to my resume and it will keep my brain busy.

I had a 3rd party look at my resume and sample cover letters as well, and got some feedback on it. We're both of the mindset that companies might be posting but they don't know what hiring is going to look at. As well, my experience is playing against me since every role is getting flooded and they're looking at cheaper options people or people with less experience.

I have to be patient which is tough but I think I'm going to add some nice annotations to my resume with my course work and consulting while I'm unemployed.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #164
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wanted to post this/repost this because I can't remember if I posted it before. Financial Post has some pretty good courses on sale.

Copywriter/Digital marketing certification/quickbooks/adobe suite certification/PMP and others on sale for about 40 to 50 bucks each for those of you that are trying to fill their days.

These are pretty good deals and the course content on the PMP is very good.

https://business.financialpost.com/p...paign=taxguide

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #165
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just thought I'd bump this because I feel a bit happier. I just had an interview for one of the positions that I applied for and I thought it went well. The interviewer has moved me through to the next steps and is putting me forward for the original position that I interviewed for plus another position that's opening up.

The next step is an interview with the managers of the two positions.

I hope this doesn't feel like bragging or boasting. but of genuine happiness that something went well. Out of the 400 people that I applied, I moved into the top 5, so I expect brutal competition.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #166
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Just thought I'd bump this because I feel a bit happier. I just had an interview for one of the positions that I applied for and I thought it went well. The interviewer has moved me through to the next steps and is putting me forward for the original position that I interviewed for plus another position that's opening up.

I hope this doesn't feel like bragging or boasting. but of genuine happiness that something went well. Out of the 400 people that I applied, I moved into the top 5, so I expect brutal competition.
Yay!

I was actually just thinking about your situation today!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #167
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just a thought, but have you tried directing some of your sci-fi knowledge and thoughts into some kind of blog or something? I don’t always agree with some of your thoughts on Star Wars or Star Trek, but you could probably get some clicks out of sharing something your obviously love with other people.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:48 PM   #168
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Thanks the Blog has been suggested to me by some other folks on this board, and I appreciate the idea, I don't know if I'm a good enough writer anymore.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #169
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So I'm changing things up because things are going so well (Sarcastic) on the application front with not a lot of responses or interview requests (3 in the last month, none of which went anywhere).

I'm working on my PMP certification, and taking the courses on line, I figure I can put a few hours in a day out of the 140 expected hours.

I'm doing some consulting for a collegue that's setting up a business. I'm not making a bunch of money on this, its going to be pretty light, but I'm working with him on his product selection, sales effectiveness and tips, pricing model and product and service offerings. I'm going to work with him on his online messaging as well. I've negotiated that if he needs me to attend meetings, or I have to work on proposals or closes that I get a piece of any profits.

Again, I doubt its going to generate business, but I can add these to my resume and it will keep my brain busy.

I had a 3rd party look at my resume and sample cover letters as well, and got some feedback on it. We're both of the mindset that companies might be posting but they don't know what hiring is going to look at. As well, my experience is playing against me since every role is getting flooded and they're looking at cheaper options people or people with less experience.

I have to be patient which is tough but I think I'm going to add some nice annotations to my resume with my course work and consulting while I'm unemployed.

Please pass on the contact/website for the online PMP. There's a chance I may have to fill my time in the near future and this would help my chances. Also your feedback if it's a good program and worth the $$$, or if you have any other recommendation(s). Thx.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:56 PM   #170
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://commerce.financialpost.com/s...fQAE&scsonar=1

Its $50.00 for the whole course and well worth it, the lectures are really good and the teaching is relaxed. There's also a prep course for the certification test as well. From my understanding the test itself is about $500.00

There are a ton of courses for sale right now through the financial post from marketing to book keeping stuff etc and they're all reasonable.

https://business.financialpost.com/p...paign=taxguide

Old 05-26-2020, 12:08 PM   #171
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Thought I'd bump this, its been a while

Just in terms of my schedule, between spending a couple of hours a day searching, and a couple of hours a day on my course, I've managed to keep busy, on the financial side I'm ok for a few more months which is great and managed to extend the deferral on my auto loan for a few more months, so yay.

In terms of opportunities, I had a great interview a week ago last Friday, where she said she was putting me forward on a the role we talked about and another role that was new. I didn't hear anything back from her on my followups through email and voice mail. I decided today I had nothing left to lose and texted her cellphone, and she got back to me right away to tell me that not much has happened with her bosses on moving forward, but she was going to touch base tomorrow and push the issue.

Someone here recommended registering on Angellist.com, which I did, I got a reach out for an interview request, though its a fruits and vegitables startup, and I don't think my skills translate. But I'll do the interview anyways, who knows, its practice at worst.

I got an interview request from a IT incubator firm for tomorrow. Its strange, they're looking for almost like a strategic consultant for sales and marketing which could be interesting. But there's precious little about them on their website beyond what they work on and some blogs on some technology they're developing, but nothing about the company's structure, I don't even think in a traditional sense that they have offices. they don't have a linked in prescience or social media footprint, so I'm a bit suspicious. If any of you have any experience with something like this, I'd love to hear it.

That's it that's all.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #172
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would really like to get a PMP certification, going through the courses and the exam should be the easiest part. But how the F can you get accredited professional experience hours with no prospect of PM-related work?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #173
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

that's what I'm trying to figure out, I'm working my contracts for any kind of work that I can do even if its zero cost to me.

Once I get this course done I might do some project management for some small IT consulting firms that my friends are running.

Its all I can think of.

There might be some volunteer opportunities as well to explore.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #174
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I'm going through the interview process for a large company that has acquired many smaller companies over the years to grow. The job aligns with what I can do but I am a bit concerned about employee reviews of the company

Any advice on how to handle this? Would you omit working at a company based on the reviews of others? Do you put any stock in there? I'm doing ok financially and I would really like to find a place that is a great place to work, not just an ok place to work, if that makes any sense.

Last edited by worth; 05-27-2020 at 10:57 PM.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #175
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I pretty rarely place stock in glass door as part of my decision making process to be honest. There are a lot of people out there who just do it because they're pissed off. There's no validation process its like an open forum.

I'm never afraid to ask in an interview though if there's a pattern.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #176
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

So, I’m unemployed after this week.

I do get a severance, which will be helpful, but what do I need to know about the CERB? Does it affect EI, etc?
Old 06-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #177
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its one or the other, you either get EI or Cerb.

Isn't Cerb due to stop pretty quick.

Just me, but I would fill in your EI claim. Of course depending on how much you'd get under EI.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #178
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just me, but I would fill in your EI claim. Of course depending on how much you'd get under EI.
I heard they extended it another 4 months
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:13 PM   #179
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Could be, but they put me straight on EI.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #180
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would suggest going the EI route and letting Service Canada figure out the EI vs CERB thing.

If you qualify for EI you likely qualify for CERB. That being said there's two ways to apply. One through the EI method, the other through CERB. From what I understand, the application methods differ slightly and the payout frequency is different (one is weekly the other bi-monthly I believe).

It's also slightly easier to apply through EI for a professional I am told, because there are less questions and the questions aren't as dumbed down as CERB. EI will also convert you to CERB instead of EI if it makes more sense that way (and recalculate top you up later on based on what I read) vs it's a pain for CERB to convert you to EI.

CERB also doesn't affect EI in certain circumstances I was led to believe. For instance, maternity leave is one of these categories. The CERB collected doesn't affect the EI duration. I don't know if this is also the case for other EI situations. I was led to believe they will optimize this and push you into CERB from EI if it makes more sense to do it that way. It's kinda bizarre to hear the government will maximize your payout to you, but that's literally what I have heard.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: