Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #941
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Our Rotary club held a catching tournament at the park yesterday, 1pm to 4pm. Top prize was a iPhone 6S, second was a $450 Milwaukee drill set, third was a kick ass Pikachu backpack with a Pikachu mug, Charmander thermos, Snorlax keychain and a bunch of candy. I caught 160 Pokemon, 10th place had 169, and first crushed everyone with 195. Unfortunately I didn't get to load up on Great Balls before hand and had to throw $13 at my phone to buy 200 Pokeballs. (In total I burned through over 300 Pokeballs and 50+ great balls. Had just 15 left when it ended) Still was a great time to pop Lucky Eggs, I went from level 16 to just under 19

Last edited by doctajones428; 08-07-2016 at 10:02 AM.
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doctajones428 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #942
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Research Park is full of lure's and Drowsee's. And a Jynx.

Here 10 mins and have 13 Pokemon
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #943
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This whole thing is getting weird.

I mean, the game really is kind of boring. It's like... take Pokemon, then take away literally everything that makes it a fun/interesting game (move sets, battling, raising, trading, team building). But people are going bananas for it.

Will people care nearly as much when Sun/Moon come out in the fall and have some actual depth and complexity to them? I'd almost guarantee not.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #944
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

We caught an Aerodactyl, Pickachu and Squirtle in just a few minutes in a random spot while walking the dog. Has the game started rarer drops or something? We have caught more unusual things over the last three days than the last three weeks.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #945
showtime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

I mean, the game really is kind of boring. It's like... take Pokemon, then take away literally everything that makes it a fun/interesting game (move sets, battling, raising, trading, team building). But people are going bananas for it.

Will people care nearly as much when Sun/Moon come out in the fall and have some actual depth and complexity to them? I'd almost guarantee not.
Are they not planning on adding more to the game to bring more depth? It would seem they'd have to at some point or it will get pretty stale quick. But there is something about catching that new Pokemon that makes me keep playing.

Last edited by showtime; 08-07-2016 at 12:39 PM.
showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #946
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Except move sets, raising and team building is part of the game, just to a much lesser extent. Trading and battling is supposed to be added in the future. It's a dumbed down game because it's completely free to play, which is a huge reason for its popularity. Don't forget the whole "excuse to go outside and interact with people" element

Sun/Moon isn't bringing much more to the table than any other handheld Pokemon game, they could just play X/Y or OR/AS instead right now. I don't see it having much impact, if any on Pokemon Go when they come out. Also not everyone can or wants to drop $300+ for a 3DS and a copy of the game
Old 08-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #947
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Pokemon Go

Ended up catching a Hypno, Squirtle, Geodude, Haunter, Jynx, Gloom, Jigglypuff, Nidorina, Horsea and about 15 Drowsee's in an hour walking around Research Park.

Lure's everywhere and Pokemon popping up faster then you could catch them.

Last edited by Drury18; 08-07-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #948
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
We caught a seemingly rare clam like creature, and when the stats screen came up, it was a very common Magicarp. These bugs are super annoying.
Yes but also takes the most candies to evolve so they're sort of a test on ones ability to grind!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #949
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at drum Heller yesterday it has awesome Pokemon there we were climbing up that big t rex and a charmander spawned I also got a hitmonlee and there were a bunch of other rock and fossil Pokemon there
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #950
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty happy with this egg hatch
Spoiler!
Old 08-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #951
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
We caught an Aerodactyl, Pickachu and Squirtle in just a few minutes in a random spot while walking the dog. Has the game started rarer drops or something? We have caught more unusual things over the last three days than the last three weeks.

Interesting but, I'm having the opposite situation. Took my dog on an 8km walk through Douglas Glen and Quarry Park tonight. Caught 7 Pokemon, all rattatas or pidgies with the exception of one eevee.

It might still be thriving downtown but from what I can see around here, it has jumped the shark. I'll probably be deleting the app in a few days. Just doesn't seem to be any reason to play.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:46 AM   #952
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

just caught an Ivysaur on the bus
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #953
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know where the Pikachu's spawn in Calgary now? Caught a really nice IV with high CP and want to get it evolved and powered up
Old 08-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #954
IgnitedSoul
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did my first really big lucky egg evolution spree last night. Got 67 evolved, 11 new pokedex entries, and the app only crashed once! And with all that only went from level 21 to 22 haha.
IgnitedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #955
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Looks like they've partially decoded the update that broke the API the mapping and bots were using, and it's partially working again, though they don't fully understand it yet.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/0...for-four-days/

Quote:
In examining the updated game, hackers quickly focused their efforts on a bit of hidden data called Unknown6 (or U6) in the code. After the update, API requests that didn't send valid U6 data returned a useless empty response (previously, the field could be left blank with no issue, suggesting this anti-cheat protection was present but not activated in the game as it launched).
The U6 data itself seems to be a hashed encryption of data collected from the current state of the actual game client, which changes with each tick of the game's internal "heartbeat" timer. Theoretically, only a valid game client would have that information and know how to use it to generate that U6 hash, leaving bots and other hacks in the cold.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #956
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

New tracking system is being tested in select cities right now. Apparently it will allow pokestops to be used as a source of location data. Each mon will show up with a portrait of the closest stop and a highlighted 3-step icon on the map. Used in conjunction with the nearby ranker this will help greatly with tracking. If only they fixed this with a three and two step so people could triangulate then this would be perfect.
Spoiler!

Last edited by FlameOn; 08-09-2016 at 08:42 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #957
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Another shot to rural players. Really sucks their focus is on big cities with a ton of pokestops.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #958
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #959
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
What is the maximum distance possible between A and B? I'm assuming it's 100m or so in order for it to be considered 'nearby'
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:31 PM   #960
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I think I've read something like 500 feet.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: