Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #401
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had a few RC plane batteries go on me, they go from fine to OMG!WTF! in about 5 seconds. And these are as big as a deck of cards. I accidentally punctured a tiny one the size of a thumbnail in my house, and I tossed it out the front door. It started hissing and smoking before popping into flames. And the smell, oh the smell...stuck around for days.

Lithium batteries are at their most dangerous when charging, or under extreme discharge. So having one charging in your attached garage could be catastrophic pretty quickly. I'd make sure I had a really good fire alarm system in place. A house fire with one of those fuelling it would be impossible to extinguish quickly.

Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:56 PM   #402
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Battery fires are real, and dangerous. But gasoline and motor oil are also incredibly flammable and near very hot engines.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #403
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

While true, I think extinguishing a gas fire is a lot easier. Once a lithium battery goes, there isn't much that is going to stop it, short of rolling your car into the swimming pool or lake.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:09 AM   #404
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Battery fires are real, and dangerous. But gasoline and motor oil are also incredibly flammable and near very hot engines.
cars very rarely catch fire in the overall scheme of things, it is a known risk and incredibly low, except for the Pinto and the Triumph 2000tc
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #405
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
cars very rarely catch fire in the overall scheme of things, it is a known risk and incredibly low, except for the Pinto and the Triumph 2000tc
Electric cars catch fire even more rarely
Old 06-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #406
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting....
Quote:
Regarding the risk of electrochemical failure, [this] report concludes that the propensity and severity of fires and explosions from the accidental ignition of flammable electrolytic solvents used in Li-ion battery systems are anticipated to be somewhat comparable to or perhaps slightly less than those for gasoline or diesel vehicular fuels. The overall consequences for Li-ion batteries are expected to be less because of the much smaller amounts of flammable solvent released and burning in a catastrophic failure situation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-i...SH-Final2017-1

From an NHTSA study.

This is from the Wikipedia entry, that I'm pretty sure should have a giant "citation needed" next to it...
Quote:
As of February 2014, four fires after an impact have been reported associated with the batteries of plug-in electric cars. The first crash related fire was reported in China in May 2012, after a high-speed car crashed into a BYD e6 taxi in Shenzhen.[2] Two incidents occurred with the Tesla Model S in October 2013, one when a Model S caught fire after the electric car hit metal debris on a highway in Kent, Washington,[3] and another involving a loss of control and collision with a tree in Merida, Mexico.[4] A Tesla Model S being driven on a highway near Murfreesboro, Tennessee caught fire in November 2013 after it struck a tow hitch on the roadway, causing damage beneath the vehicle.[5] These incidents occurred in situations which would cause fires in gasoline powered automobiles.
"Would cause" is a pretty strong statement. Sure, a trailer hitch on a highway or piece of metal COULD cause a fire in a gasoline vehicle, if it hit in the spot of the gas tank, and punctured it, and the leak was exposed to a spark. But I suspect electric vehicles are more likely to catch fire when exposed to a trauma of that sort, if only becuase most of them have the entire floor made of battery. Anyway, minor Wikipedia annoyance. It is interesting that NHSTA thinks the risks are similar.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:27 PM   #407
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Interesting....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-i...SH-Final2017-1

From an NHTSA study.

This is from the Wikipedia entry, that I'm pretty sure should have a giant "citation needed" next to it...

"Would cause" is a pretty strong statement. Sure, a trailer hitch on a highway or piece of metal COULD cause a fire in a gasoline vehicle, if it hit in the spot of the gas tank, and punctured it, and the leak was exposed to a spark. But I suspect electric vehicles are more likely to catch fire when exposed to a trauma of that sort, if only becuase most of them have the entire floor made of battery. Anyway, minor Wikipedia annoyance. It is interesting that NHSTA thinks the risks are similar.
Not really. It's floor it's late up of thousands (or hundreds depending on which EV you're discussing) of individual batteries. It isn't one big pile of combustible material. The majority of a battery pack is metal housing. It's not likely to catch fire simply from exposure in a crash
Old 07-04-2019, 10:50 PM   #408
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My point was a gas tank has small area to impact, whereas the entire bottom of a Tesla is battery, so any strike could hit a battery cell. And I know they are made of individual cells, but puncturing a few of them can lead to thermal runaway.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:04 AM   #409
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Electric cars catch fire even more rarely
yes but there aren't very many of them, massively less of them, so its a question of percentages, time will tell
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #410
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Definetly some holes in these stats, but interesting nonetheless:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1123085999922454528
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #411
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is that Elon Musk's alt account? Every tweet is a Tesla is awesome post.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #412
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tesla will finally show their pickup truck Nov 21. Hopefully it looks nothing like that weird render from a few years ago.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/06/tesl...musk-says.html
Old 11-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #413
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Tesla will finally show their pickup truck Nov 21. Hopefully it looks nothing like that weird render from a few years ago.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/06/tesl...musk-says.html
At this point I'd actually be fine with the weird styling. All the other pick up trucks are so boring.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #414
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's more that it doesn't make sense. The truck bed is 15 feet long, and as high as the roof line of the truck it is carrying. How do you load that? Or park it, since it is wide enough to hold a truck. Nothing about that render computes.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #415
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
It's more that it doesn't make sense. The truck bed is 15 feet long, and as high as the roof line of the truck it is carrying. How do you load that? Or park it, since it is wide enough to hold a truck. Nothing about that render computes.
I'm picturing it more being the size of an F-150. The render is showing it carrying a truck in a way to just sort of humiliate the other truck. Like the Tesla is the adult and the other truck is just a baby. IDK. I don't expect this thing to actually be the size of a brontosaurus.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #416
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You never know,with Elon. But ya, I expect a much more conventional looknig truck, without the need for a brick shaped front end.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:16 PM   #417
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, the Full Self-Driving option is going up $1300 on July 1, and Tesla was offering end of quarter incentives of one-year free supercharging. This plus my susceptibility to impulse buying has made me a new ignorant Tesla owner.

I will need to run a charging cable about 15m/50ft across my back yard. I am thinking of just getting an outdoor NEMA 15-40 outlet installed instead of the tesla wall charger. Has anyone done the same? Or should I get the wall charger and some sort of extension cord for it that Tesla doesnt seem to sell?
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:33 PM   #418
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you mean NEMA 14-50? There is no 15-40:

https://www.stayonline.com/product-r...ence-chart.asp

Are you doing an outdoor exposed plug, or is this in a garage?
Old 06-27-2020, 10:36 PM   #419
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, I meant 14-50. This would be on the outside wall of the house, and not a garage.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:41 AM   #420
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, so you'd have an outlet installed on the house, and run a 50A cable to your parking pad? So you'd need something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Happybuy-Exten...3347907&sr=8-1

From the trustworthy people at Happybuy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: