Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #2281
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If the Isles trade for Hiller for example, he can play the rest of the regular season but would be ineligible for the playoffs. No matter though, because by then Halak should be back.
I had no idea that rule existed. Weird. Especially for the player who has to sit out the playoffs for his new team.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:56 PM   #2282
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Now watch them trade Ortio...
I'd trade him it it meant a higher pick.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #2283
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'd be weird to see a post deadline trade. But I suppose the Isles are in a tough spot. Not sure how Hiller solves their back up issue. unless they do the math and figure out how many losses they can absorb. But then why not ride their 3rd stringer on the bench? Does Hiller provide enough insurance if Greiss goes down? Lots to think about for this kind of deal.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #2284
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would be very interesting to trade Hiller right now. Aside from getting 'something' (I am actually thinking conditional 7th or something of the like, if not 'future considerations') for essentially nothing at the moment, I would love to see how Ortio responds.

Just like Mclennan alluded to in that article:

Quote:
“It’s a different mindset (playing every night). I watched the Toronto game last night (4-3 Leafs win) and if Halak is on the bench, Greiss probably stands on his head. But he’s probably thinking ‘I have to play the next six weeks.’ It’s a different mental challenge.
Would Ortio rise to the challenge of being essentially the defacto starter without that veteran safety sitting on the bench? I mean, Backstrom is here, and although the Flames have stated he will get starts... maybe that means one or two, and everyone in the dressing room knows it?

Would go a little way in seeing if Ortio has the mental fortitude to play well consistently after that. I think the trade is worth it just to help answer that question.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #2285
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would trade Hiller for future considerations if it got him off the roster. He should never play another game for the Flames. Ortio should basically start every game except for the couple that were promised to Backstrom to complete the Jones trade
Old 03-10-2016, 11:58 PM   #2286
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Am I the only one who thinks that article is wrong?

It's my understanding you can't trade players after the trade deadline until closer to the draft if not until the draft.. Turco was signed as a FA, like Gomez by the Sens this year, after the deadline so they can't play in the playoffs. I might believe non-playoff teams trade while the finals are going on but it's called the trade deadline cause no trades can happen after it until the conclusion of the season, no?
Old 03-11-2016, 12:09 AM   #2287
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Players can be traded at anytime. After the trade deadline, however, any players traded are ineligible for that years playoffs.

Max Ehrmann
Old 03-11-2016, 12:19 AM   #2288
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
We need Hiller for these last games a lot worse than the Isles do. Back off, he's ours dammit.
You're right, we do need him. Almost as much as we all need holes in our heads.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:53 AM   #2289
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that article is wrong?

It's my understanding you can't trade players after the trade deadline until closer to the draft if not until the draft.. Turco was signed as a FA, like Gomez by the Sens this year, after the deadline so they can't play in the playoffs. I might believe non-playoff teams trade while the finals are going on but it's called the trade deadline cause no trades can happen after it until the conclusion of the season, no?
Nah, it happens most years.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/trade-tracker/
Carolina/Vancouver already made a trade after the deadline this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #2290
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I would trade Hiller for future considerations if it got him off the roster. He should never play another game for the Flames. Ortio should basically start every game except for the couple that were promised to Backstrom to complete the Jones trade
my future considerations would be.."here, take him. We'll even pay his salary until the end of the year. Just please take him! please!!!! Oh? you have a bad contract you want us to take, send him over!!"

sorry, that was my outside voice
The Following User Says Thank You to Sample00 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #2291
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think they'd have interest in Hiller but likely more in Backstrom. Either way, if it means helping them out I'd do it but I'd tell them that in the summer when they trade Hamonic that the Flames should get preferential treatment. Maybe even at the draft trade for the rights to Okposo if it means early negotiating. Point is, at this stage I doubt you're going to get much in the way of assets for anything the Flames have (give anything with value was traded or at least shopped) but if you can make some kind of deal for a future deal in the summer, you do it.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:47 AM   #2292
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
You're right, we do need him. Almost as much as we all need holes in our heads.
Completely in agreement. What would we do without our mouths, ear canals and nostrils? Hiller is that important to what we are trying to achieve right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #2293
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Backstrom waived to get a shot at playing. While I don't think he would bristle at moving again for a chance to play, it doesn't look good on Calgary to ask a player to waive only to move him without giving him a single start.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #2294
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

In response to Matheson's suggestion Isles trade for Hiller

Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton
@NHLbyMatty Hiller can't stop shots!

Thanks for the up sell Craig.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #2295
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

assuming we draft chychrun i think we can afford to give up hamilton for a little older defensive dman. So hamilton for hamonic if we draft chcyrun. How does that sound? Makes our defense much more balanced.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #2296
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
assuming we draft chychrun i think we can afford to give up hamilton for a little older defensive dman. So hamilton for hamonic if we draft chcyrun. How does that sound? Makes our defense much more balanced.
No.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #2297
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Trade a guy for a downgrade because you drafted a guy you hope will one day turn into that guy you just traded? Sounds ####ing stupid.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #2298
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Corey Pronman @coreypronman

Scouts in to watch Drouin first game tonight (not typically on Upstate AHL rotation) from teams like ARI PHI MIN OTT and TOR
Old 03-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #2299
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Hiller can be a good reclamation project and he would be dirt cheap next year.
signed,
The White Texting Troll
Old 03-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #2300
Wingman17
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Backstrom waived to get a shot at playing. While I don't think he would bristle at moving again for a chance to play, it doesn't look good on Calgary to ask a player to waive only to move him without giving him a single start.
I don't think the flames would have to ask him to waive. Doesn't his NTC get voided once he agrees to waive and gets traded?
Closed Thread