Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:
Default Day 12 (PM of Tuesday Feb 20 - AM of Wednesday Feb 21)

Rachel Homan’s rink starts the day off for us facing Great Britain at 17:05 and should it be on TSN 4 & 5.

At 17:30 on Sportsnet and Sportsnet 1 the qualifying run for the Men’s Big Air will begin. Max Parrot will be the 4th boarder to compete in the first Heat. Canadian Mark McMorris will go 6th in the second heat, Sebastien Toutant will go 7th, and Tyler Nicholson will go 16th.

Starting at 18:00 the Women’s Short Program will begin on TSN. Larkyn Austman will be making her Olympic debut as the 11th skater to compete. Gabrielle Daleman, fresh off of a Gold Medal in the Team Event will be the 21st skater. Kaetlyn Osmond, winner of a Silver Medal (Team Event) in Sochi will be the 27th skater.

At 19:00 the Women’s Downhill will begin. Valerie Grenier, Roni Remme, and Candace Crawford are the Canadians competing. American skiing superstar Lindsey Vonn is also competing. This should be on Sportsnet 1.

The seeding for Men’s Ski Cross will begin at 19:30 and probably will not be televised. Calgary’s Brady Leman is looking to improve on his 4th place finish in Sochi. Chris Del Bosco is trying to improve on his 4th place finish from Vancouver. Dave Duncan is an Olympic veteran while Kevin Drury is participating in his first games.

Beginning at 20:10 the Czech Republic faces the USA in the first Quarterfinal in Men’s Hockey. This one should be on TSN 4 & 5.

At 21:15 the first heats in the Men’s Ski Cross will begin. The Quarterfinals will begin at 21:50, the Semifinals at 22:14, and the Final at 22:30. I believe that this will be on CBC.

At 22:05 Kevin Koe’s rink will face Denmark, it looks like this will be on TSN 3.

At 00:40 the Bronze Medal Game in Women’s Hockey between Finland and Russia begins and it should be on Sportsnet. Also at this time Norway faces Russia in a Quarterfinal matchup in Men’s Hockey, it seems like that game will be on TSN 2.

Starting at 01:00 and I believe on Sportsnet 1 will be the Women’s Team Sprint Free Semifinals in Cross Country Skiing. Canada will be in the 2nd Semi-final.

At 01:50 the Semifinals in the Men’s Team Sprint Free will begin and should be on Sportsnet 1. Canada will be in the second Semi-final.

At 03:00 the Final for the Women’s Team Sprint Free will begin on Sportsnet 1. The Men’s Team Sprint Final will start at 03:30.

On CBC at 04:00 Speed Skating will begin. The Ladies Team Pursuit Semifinals begin. Canada is in the 2nd Semifinal racing head to head against Japan. The Finals will begin at 04:54.

At 04:22 on CBC the Semifinals in the Men’s Team Pursuit will begin, unfortunately Canada has not qualified. The Finals will begin at 05:13.

The Canada rink in Women’s Curling faces off against the Russian team at 04:05. I can’t find what channel this will be on.

Beginning at 04:40 is the 3rd run in the Women’s Bobsleigh where things are crowded near the top of the leaderboard. Kaillie Humphries’ Canada 1 sled is in 5th place just 0.34 seconds behind the top spot. Canada 3 is in 7th and Canada 2 in 8th. Run 4 is scheduled for 06:00. I think that these will be on TSN 4 & 5.

At 05:10 Canada faces Finland in a Quarterfinal match in Men’s Hockey, I believe that this will be on TSN 2. At the same time Sweden will be facing Germany and it should be on TSN.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #2
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the curling scenarios:
No matter what happens, the Canadian Men are guaranteed to at least play in a tiebreaker.

If Canada beats Denmark (tonight at 10:05pm MT), they'll finish in second place regardless of what happens in the other games. If Canada loses, there are a variety of scenarios for the final standings, but they'll all see Canada play at least one more game.

A Canada win will likely see them play the winner of GB-USA in the 2-3 semifinal (although, there are some scenarios where a USA win could lead to tiebreakers for third place).

----------

The Canadian Women still have a chance, but they must win their final two games against GB and Russia.

They play GB later today at 5:05pm MT. If they lose, there's no scenario where they can possibly make the playoffs.

Right now:
  • Korea has clinched a playoff spot with a 6-1 record, and can't be caught by Canada.
  • Sweden has a 5-2 record with two games remaining against China and the USA (both at 4-4).
  • Japan has a 5-3 record with one game remaining against the 2-5 Swiss team.
  • GB has a 5-3 record with one game remaining against Canada.

The easiest scenario for a Canadian playoff spot is for Canada and Sweden to each win their final two games. This would see Canada and GB finish with 5-4 records and China and the USA with 4-5 records.

If that happens, Canada's playoff position would depend on the result of Japan's final game against Switzerland.
  • If Japan wins its final game, they'd move to 6-3 and finish 3rd. Canada and GB would then play a tiebreaker game for the final spot in the semifinal.

• If Japan loses, they'd finish with a 5-4 record, tied with Canada and GB, which would trigger the three-way tiebreaker formula for the final two playoff spots. In that scenario, I believe Canada would get third place because of two wins over Japan and GB. Japan and GB would then play a tiebreaker for fourth place.

If one of the USA or China defeat Sweden, it could create a multi-way tie scenario for the final playoff spot. I'm not sure how those tiebreakers would play out for Canada.

There is one crazy possible scenario that could see a 6 way tie for second place: SWE loses to CHN and USA; JPN loses to SUI; CAN defeats GBR and OAR. If that exact series of events took place, SWE, CHN, USA, JPN, CAN, and GBR would all finish with identical 5-4 records. I have no idea what the tiebreaker procedure would be in that case.

If there's one potential bright side for Homan's rink, it's that their final two games are on sheets D (GBR) & C (OAR). Sheet A is the one that's been giving them the biggest troubles (3 of their 4 losses have been on A). Their big win over the States was on D and their win over the Swiss was on C.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully no power outages at my home tonight. My power went out about 9:15 and did not come back until about 1:30 am, I missed the last two flights of ice dancing. I didn't get to see any of it until this morning .
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
There is one crazy possible scenario that could see a 6 way tie for second place: SWE loses to CHN and USA; JPN loses to SUI; CAN defeats GBR and OAR. If that exact series of events took place, SWE, CHN, USA, JPN, CAN, and GBR would all finish with identical 5-4 records. I have no idea what the tiebreaker procedure would be in that case.

I believe this is where accumulative distance of the 9 draws the button would be the tiebreaker. The top 2 would get 2nd and 3rd and the other 4 teams would have to play a mini semifinal for 1 spot.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I believe this is where accumulative distance of the 9 draws the button would be the tiebreaker. The top 2 would get 2nd and 3rd and the other 4 teams would have to play a mini semifinal for 1 spot.
So not a last person standing brawl between rinks complete with brooms swinging and hair pulling to decide who moves on then?

/Punch-Up in Pyeongchang
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Scott and Tessa are being interviewed on CBC now
Old 02-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going to miss them next Winter Olympic...no scratch that, I'm already missing them...
Old 02-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #8
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Max Parrot with a score of 89.25 in his first run!
Old 02-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Disappointing Canada didn't get more from that second end.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #10
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Homan with a huge miss in a must-win game. It's unbelievable
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #11
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Homan misses a draw for 3 in the 2nd end, settles for 2.

2-1 Canada.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #12
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Homan barely hit the rings on that draw, with probably the best front end in woman's curling sweeping hard the second she released it.

I keep thinking it is going to click for them eventually.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #13
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Steal of 1. Kinda makes up for the missed final shot in the previous end
Old 02-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #14
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice that the other skip missed a draw as well.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #15
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Max Parrot with the highest score after the first qualifying run in the first heat
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 06:04 PM   #16
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

GB's third is struggling big time. Canada can take advantage of that.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #17
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

My God Homan. Brutal
Old 02-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #18
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Parrot throws down a score of 92.50 in his second qualifying jump!!! Very impressive jump!
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #19
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Parrot making it look eaaasy
Old 02-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #20
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ski Cross is easily my favourite ski event to watch. 4 racers head-to-head, top 2 advance to the next round. The start has a two meter free-fall that is pretty nuts. The Canadian team was out at Winsport dropping into the jumps to get ready for it. Hopefully the 4th place streak is over and Brady and/or Del land on the podium.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mac_82 For This Useful Post: