Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #21
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
The Shaw Open wifi network they have in a billion places tips the scales for me
Over the life of two smartphones, I have yet to experience any "good" connection to Shaw Open, It hangs, it's slow, and when you do want it actively on it's never around - and I was working in downtown.

Also, I have had Shaw for almost 10 years, and the service is getting way more unstable as the connection goes in and out. Telus has been far better for me for business use.

Telus all the way at this point.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #22
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

In the past year I've had both Shaw and Telus for home internet. Shaw had offered us a free year with our new home, so we went with them.

The biggest plus with Shaw was the Shaw Go hotspots. Telus has hotspots as well, but not the way Shaw does. I believe Shaw offers a discount to business internet customers to add the hotspots, which means there are just more of them.

Now we did go from Shaw 30 to Telus 50- however we used to have occasional speed drops in the evening with Shaw. My son would be watching Netflix and my wife watching her IPTV, and I'd only have 1 MBPS of speed on the PC. With Telus we haven't seen that happen.

Shaw's customer service was brutal when we were leaving them. Claiming we owed them money on the equipment we had been renting- that we had somehow agreed to purchase. They couldn't find the purchase agreement, but wanted us to pay anyway. That being said, I've heard Telus horror stories as well.

Really, there isn't that much of a difference between the two. That is why we can only point out the subtle differences.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #23
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Have you considered teksavvy? I've been with them for a couple of years and they've been great. They piggyback off of Telus/Shaw for the "last mile" but are quite a bit cheaper than those two.

The downside is that if anything does go wrong they are generally at the mercy of Telus/Shaw to get it fixed, but in my experience for any downtime I've had, if I go and check the twitter there's a bunch of shaw folks raising a stink about an outage too.
Yellefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #24
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Over the life of two smartphones, I have yet to experience any "good" connection to Shaw Open, It hangs, it's slow, and when you do want it actively on it's never around - and I was working in downtown.

Also, I have had Shaw for almost 10 years, and the service is getting way more unstable as the connection goes in and out. Telus has been far better for me for business use.

Telus all the way at this point.
Shaw Open works well on all my devices. Never had an issue
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #25
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What is the appropriate Speed you should get on a WIFI connection in your home with Shaw 150?
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #26
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
What is the appropriate Speed you should get on a WIFI connection in your home with Shaw 150?
150 mbs/s download, upload can vary depending on your plan

As far as telus vs shaw, neither should be better or worse. Your location can make a big difference though. I live in a townhouse, and shaw connections struggle, but since I've been with telus its been much better

On the weekend I was visiting family and they just switched to shaw when they dropped the 150 price, and they're very happy with it. Showed me his recent speed test results and seems to get 160-170 dl consistently
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #27
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
150 mbs/s download, upload can vary depending on your plan

As far as telus vs shaw, neither should be better or worse. Your location can make a big difference though. I live in a townhouse, and shaw connections struggle, but since I've been with telus its been much better

On the weekend I was visiting family and they just switched to shaw when they dropped the 150 price, and they're very happy with it. Showed me his recent speed test results and seems to get 160-170 dl consistently
I should be getting 150 mbs on WIFI? I always thought that was with a direct connection. I can get around 100mbs on WIFI in close proximity to the modem, but generally only 80 mbs on another floor in the house.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a limitation of your equipment, not the Shaw connection.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #29
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I switched from Telus 50 to Shaw 150 and while Shaw is obviously faster for downloading big files, I found Telus was much more reliable for streaming services, especially during peak times.

I never had an issue with Telus when watching YouTube, Twitch, Netflix, etc, but with Shaw there are times when it buffers for awhile, and I have to turn the quality down from 1080p to 720p. It's strange because whenever I have these issues, I instantly do a speed test and it says I'm still getting 170mbps+.
BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #30
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I found both to be pretty good in my area, although I would have random times with Telus where my internet was unusable even with resets. It was so wonky I couldn't even run a speed test.

I also found Shaw router to be better - there's a certain spot at my table downstairs where I can't get reception.

But I think it depends more on your location than anything so try both out and see?
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #31
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I should be getting 150 mbs on WIFI? I always thought that was with a direct connection. I can get around 100mbs on WIFI in close proximity to the modem, but generally only 80 mbs on another floor in the house.
I get the same. I think if you can segregate the AC connections on 5G and the N connections on 2.4G, your AC connections should get 150.

I don't have enough of those in the house to make it worth while. Even then, being 2 floors up from the router would kill my 5G speed.

So I have it back to auto switching one network. I find 80 is about what I get, but it is fairly consistent and less headache of 2 networks. I won't pay for 150 after my contract is up I think 100 is about all I really use anyways. I have one wired device in the house.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #32
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is the same as asking "Which is better - Ford or Chevy trucks?". The truth is that they are 99% the same. Internet connection issues are often caused by your own hardware and customer service quality boils down to the person you are dealing with on the other end.

Just pick the one that gives you the best deal and/or vibe.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #33
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I get the same. I think if you can segregate the AC connections on 5G and the N connections on 2.4G, your AC connections should get 150.

I don't have enough of those in the house to make it worth while. Even then, being 2 floors up from the router would kill my 5G speed.

So I have it back to auto switching one network. I find 80 is about what I get, but it is fairly consistent and less headache of 2 networks. I won't pay for 150 after my contract is up I think 100 is about all I really use anyways. I have one wired device in the house.
Yeah, mine are segregated. I definitely get the 150 mbs connection on my hard-wired devices with the 5 G, but WIFI is like 80-90 mbs. I didn't think you can get the maximum connection without a direct line, that's why I'm finding it weird that people are saying they are getting 150 mbs on their WIFI devices. If that's the case, i'm going to call Shaw and ask them what the problem it.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #34
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with it is your device is limited, not Shaw. Are you using your own router? If so it could be that. If not, it is whatever device you are doing your speed test on doesn't support the newer standards that can handle the speed. So, what device are you testing with? You can very likely find the answer to your problem without calling Shaw, as it probably isn't their issue if you get 150 on your hard wired devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2017, 03:52 PM   #35
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
didn't even know Chestermere existed.

EDIT: Nope, their website still blows up on my address.
Wouldn't surprise me if carriers/cablecos/utilities still utilize the original name of "Chestermere Lake".
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #36
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The problem with it is your device is limited, not Shaw. Are you using your own router? If so it could be that. If not, it is whatever device you are doing your speed test on doesn't support the newer standards that can handle the speed. So, what device are you testing with? You can very likely find the answer to your problem without calling Shaw, as it probably isn't their issue if you get 150 on your hard wired devices.
It's the router/modem combo they provide, and the speedtest is Ookla on my Iphone 6.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #37
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if carriers/cablecos/utilities still utilize the original name of "Chestermere Lake".
Heh, got an actual "could not display the page" error with that rather than in infinite loop of "problem finding your address please enter address".
Old 01-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #38
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaPancakes View Post
I switched from Telus 50 to Shaw 150 and while Shaw is obviously faster for downloading big files, I found Telus was much more reliable for streaming services, especially during peak times.
I pretty much found the same. I switched over the Shaw 150 last year. The speeds are great. But during peak periods, the slowdown is very noticeable. With Telus I had 35. Now maybe it's because 35 was slow already that I didn't really notice a slowdown. But I guess when your spoiled with fast rich-man internet, it becomes more noticeable

Also if you're a big torrenter, Telus sends you DMCA notifications every day pretty much. I don't believe Shaw even sends them out.

At this point I choose Shaw because I can get the 150 Mbps speed. Even if I had access to 150 with both companies, I wouldn't see much of a difference in selecting one over the other. Customer service is pretty much hit and miss for both (and pretty much all service companies). Some days you get good reps. Some days you get the guy who's overworked.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:18 PM   #39
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was with Telus 50. Had a good reliable modem for the past 5 years. Telus replaced the modem 4 months ago saying the new one would be so much better. It sucked. It was losing connection regularly and my speeds dropped. I just switched to Shaw 150 mainly because the price was so much cheaper than I was paying Telus. So far it's been good. Can't comment though on reliability because it's only been a week.

Telus customer service was very good to deal with. I've always had good service with them.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #40
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I pretty much found the same. I switched over the Shaw 150 last year. The speeds are great. But during peak periods, the slowdown is very noticeable. With Telus I had 35. Now maybe it's because 35 was slow already that I didn't really notice a slowdown. But I guess when your spoiled with fast rich-man internet, it becomes more noticeable

Also if you're a big torrenter, Telus sends you DMCA notifications every day pretty much. I don't believe Shaw even sends them out.

At this point I choose Shaw because I can get the 150 Mbps speed. Even if I had access to 150 with both companies, I wouldn't see much of a difference in selecting one over the other. Customer service is pretty much hit and miss for both (and pretty much all service companies). Some days you get good reps. Some days you get the guy who's overworked.
Oh, yes they do.... If you have Gmail, check the trash, my get tagged as spam. Uhm, the ones the wrongly send me, anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: