Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #1121
jeffh
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I talked to a plumber at work today, who was recently working on the new terminal. I asked him, sarcastically, why he/they didn't install any water fountains or bottle filling stations at the airport? He chuckled and said the owner/airport overlooked that at the design stage and he thinks they are now in the process of quoting/pricing/installing them. Hearsay, but that's all I got on the matter.

Last edited by jeffh; 11-07-2016 at 04:37 PM.
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #1122
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe if everyone takes their water bottles to the concessions and ask staff to re-fill them, the businesses will put pressure on the airport.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #1123
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't there a law that requires public-access facilities to provide a publicly-available source of drinking water to its patrons free of charge (and bathroom sinks don't count)?
Old 11-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #1124
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Isn't there a law that requires public-access facilities to provide a publicly-available source of drinking water to its patrons free of charge (and bathroom sinks don't count)?
Nope.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:37 AM   #1125
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Even just free public washrooms are pretty rare in the world.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #1126
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Maybe if everyone takes their water bottles to the concessions and ask staff to re-fill them, the businesses will put pressure on the airport.
Good god, as someone who works in such a business I can tell you first hand how annoying that is.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #1127
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm one of the unique people that flew out of the old terminal and arrived back in the new terminal.

It was super nice! Lots of walking, but definitely world class. Came back through customs early this morning and didn't even have to talk to the CBSA agent; it was all automated.

Looking forward to when the LINK is finished and how it all ties in together!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #1128
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not really impressed with the new terminal. Sure it's new and shiny, but there's some serious flaws. The whole automated security line is ridiculous. All your belongings end up getting split up, and you feel very rushed while loading up and collecting them. This whole gate thing is an absolute #### show. No seats doesn't stop anyone from congregating around the gates, and some of the games are a frigging long ways away from all the seats and the amenities....... and my biggest pet peeve of them all....... you still have the ridiculous 15 minute march from our arrival gate to Canadian Customs when you arrive. I can't believe they went with this format again.

In general, it seems like they opened the terminal with a lot of projects still under construction or needing maintenance. Elevators down everywhere, those moving sidewalks don't all look to be complete, etc. I don't know, maybe I was just expecting too much.

The positives:

- US customs was awesome. Very automated. I was in and out in maybe 5 minutes
- Canadian customs (after you've done the 15 minute march) was also a breeze though less automated than the US side.
- Nice food variety for the US gates (though I've heard there isn't much for other international destinations)

When I went through both times it wasn't busy at all. Would be nice to hear from someone that went through during a peak travel time to see if there actually is a substantial increase in customs processing times.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #1129
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new wing is a third world joke. Massive long wing with a dozen gates and sitting for 100 people total. I get their whole 'wait in the main area til you board' , it just makes zero sense when the check in crew are trying to communicate things to passengers, verify passports. Never mind the fact that the listed boarding time really means boarding is about 30-40 minutes away. Meanwhile you've got families with a ton of bags and no where to settle their kids while waiting. I can't imagine a worse way to rethink an airport. But I'm sure they'll just drop 100 million renovating in five years.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #1130
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the plus side listening to everyone complain gives a great sense of community prior to boarding.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #1131
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
The new wing is a third world joke.
lol I made this exact comparison on another board and got roasted for it.

One positive - there is now a water fountain in the int'l food court. Not sure yet if USA area got one.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #1132
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It looks like a $99 water cooler from Costco with a hose attached to the cold water line.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #1133
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
It looks like a $99 water cooler from Costco with a hose attached to the cold water line.
Yeah but never has $99 had such an impact on a billion dollar project. They were getting lit up for it.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #1134
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know where to post this but:

My GF is flyign back from Toronto tonight. Air Canada. Arriving around 11 pm... I can't find any information and I am trying to surprise her by picking her up (she is out with work so she could cab home for free if anyone wants to question me )

How do I track or does anyone know what flight it would be? Where should I go to wait and surprise her???
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #1135
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I don't know where to post this but:

My GF is flyign back from Toronto tonight. Air Canada. Arriving around 11 pm... I can't find any information and I am trying to surprise her by picking her up (she is out with work so she could cab home for free if anyone wants to question me )

How do I track or does anyone know what flight it would be? Where should I go to wait and surprise her???
Air Canada 145: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...155Z/CYYZ/CYYC

Gate C56 according to Flightaware for arrival. Probably coming out around Meeting Place C if my memory is correct.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 10:56 PM   #1136
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Air Canada 145: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...155Z/CYYZ/CYYC

Gate C56 according to Flightaware for arrival. Probably coming out around Meeting Place C if my memory is correct.
Nm

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 05:33 AM   #1137
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I flew out of the terminal last week. The new main waiting area is fantastic, lots of food and amenities. But the gates are atrocious. Massive hall and no seating? I flew into Denver and coming back had to spend a couple hours in that airport which is huge but has tons of seating, food and conveniences.

Calgary tried to be too clever.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #1138
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I missing something or isn't the simple solution to all of this not to show the gate number on display screens until 15 minutes prior boarding time like in other call to gate airports? Keeps all the people in the central area as they won't know where to go.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #1139
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Am I missing something or isn't the simple solution to all of this not to show the gate number on display screens until 15 minutes prior boarding time like in other call to gate airports? Keeps all the people in the central area as they won't know where to go.
They put it on the board 20 minutes before, but for some odd reason when I checked in they told me the gate at that time.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #1140
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Doesn't work cause the gate is on your boarding pass and in all the mobile apps for the airlines. People just want to be at their gate so they don't miss announcements or anything else, and you're not going to be able to get the airlines to change their systems.

But yes, some Air Canada flights are getting posted 2 hours prior. Obviously waaaay too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
They put it on the board 20 minutes before, but for some odd reason when I checked in they told me the gate at that time.
The shortest post time is 45 minutes for some transborders. Others are 50 min, WestJet transborder is 1:15. Nobody is less than 45.

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc