Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #1621
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Happened to me while I was tracking a cab on New Years. Terribly inconvenient. I've owned multiple iPhones, 3G through 6 and have never had it shut off from the cold. Heat once, but never cold.
It must be some sort of battery conservation mode when the temp drops in the newer phones as I have experienced this when leaving it in the car. If you just give it about 10 minutes of warming it will turn back on back to the battery level it was before it shut down.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #1622
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Not only have I noticed that cold battery phenomenon but my batter life in general has been awful.

I've been getting the widely reported 30% to 0 then back to 50% when I leave it off for a while and turn it back on. By all accounts it is a 10.1.1 or 10.2 or whatver ios issue and that it can be potentially fixed by doing a complete reset of the phone and new install of the software but that sounds like a huge pain.

But I've also noticed that my phone drains battery way worse than when I first got it a few months ago (off a CPer used). I could leave it for what seemed like days with the only charge it would get is while plugged into my car for my am/pm commute and the battery would barely decrease at all. I don't use it a ton, mostly just to play music in car and at work.

Now, even if I just leave it sitting not playing music, it will decrease by 2-5% per hour. I go to bed with it at 70% and wake up and it is at 50%. Bizarre. I really hope it is the ios and an update will fix it because it is annoying. No way the battery life degraded this much in a few months.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #1623
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It must be some sort of battery conservation mode when the temp drops in the newer phones as I have experienced this when leaving it in the car. If you just give it about 10 minutes of warming it will turn back on back to the battery level it was before it shut down.
Yeah it is. As lithium ion batteries drop below a certain temperature, their voltage drops dramatically and phones are designed to shut down when voltage reaches a certain threshold. Just never experienced it happen so quickly, probably due to the fact that the iPhone 6 aluminum back and larger size cools the phone faster then the old glass back iPhones. Plus, we had a couple of warm winters since the 6 came out.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:46 PM   #1624
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I'm thinking it's an iOS issue. I've been in a tropical climate for the last 2 weeks and have noticed my battery life really sucks. Thought maybe I'm using it more- but that really isn't that much of a factor.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #1625
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Yeah it is. As lithium ion batteries drop below a certain temperature, their voltage drops dramatically and phones are designed to shut down when voltage reaches a certain threshold. Just never experienced it happen so quickly, probably due to the fact that the iPhone 6 aluminum back and larger size cools the phone faster then the old glass back iPhones. Plus, we had a couple of warm winters since the 6 came out.
This could be a big factor. The last time I saw this happen was with my 4S a few years ago. It hasn't really been that cold in a while.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #1626
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I'm thinking it's an iOS issue. I've been in a tropical climate for the last 2 weeks and have noticed my battery life really sucks. Thought maybe I'm using it more- but that really isn't that much of a factor.
Yeah I've just been noticing that my battery life lately isn't as good as it used to be.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #1627
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Since I've gotten my battery swapped out in my 6s I've had no issues, but before the new battery I was experiencing the same problems in the cold. Would just shut off at 50-60%. Been a few weeks now with no issues
The Following User Says Thank You to Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #1628
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Cool I found out I can upgrade the SSD in my wife's Macbook Air with regular m.2 SATA type SSDs with an adapter! Adapter is like $10, and NewEgg has a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO for $169, so that's a pretty good upgrade from 120GB.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820147399
Finally had a chance to do this, everything went perfectly, the adapter works fine and the system sees the SSD fine.

First time doing a network restore from Time Machine, says it'll take 2-3 hours, man my network storage system is old and slow.

EDIT: Huh, I might be able to get $75-$100 for the old one too! Though I'd have to put it back in to erase it
Old 01-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #1629
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a 6S+, and I've been noticing a reduced battery capacity... my battery is being used up quickly as compared to even a few weeks ago.

I wonder if there's an app update/ios battery drain happening in the background, or if my battery has started to decline in performance. I got the phone brand new last spring. Advice, ideas?
Old 01-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #1630
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I have a 6S+, and I've been noticing a reduced battery capacity... my battery is being used up quickly as compared to even a few weeks ago.

I wonder if there's an app update/ios battery drain happening in the background, or if my battery has started to decline in performance. I got the phone brand new last spring. Advice, ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Came in to post the same thing:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone...ectedshutdown/

EDIT: Link is to Apple's website where you can put in your 6s Serial and see if you qualify. Mine and wifes did.

Don't pay for a replacement until you verify on the link, although I doubt Apple would scam anyone who wasn't aware. Oh and if paid in the past for a fix/replacement go back and they are supposed to refund you.

I quoted this that another member posted a few pages back, check to see if you qualify for a new battery, my 6s qualified and apple replaced it for free. I've had no issues since the replacement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #1631
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post

Not sure if it pertains to you, but there was a documented issue with the Facebook and FB Messenger apps using up large amounts of battery lately. Uninstall/reinstall usually fixes it.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #1632
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration View Post
I quoted this that another member posted a few pages back, check to see if you qualify for a new battery, my 6s qualified and apple replaced it for free. I've had no issues since the replacement.
Mine is the +... I wasn't aware they qualified for battery replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Not sure if it pertains to you, but there was a documented issue with the Facebook and FB Messenger apps using up large amounts of battery lately. Uninstall/reinstall usually fixes it.
I will see if this solves it too, thanks!
Old 01-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #1633
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

If you have an Apple Watch you can buy this charging dock that looks like an old Mac.

http://www.elagostore.com/stand/w-st...st-wt3-wh.html

Or if you have a 3D printer you can make your own.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1216409
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #1634
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Any recommendations on a IPhone 7 or 7+ wallet case? I would like a fancy pants stylish one!
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #1635
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this patent is designed to do what I think it is... Worst. Idea. Ever.

From here. http://www.macrumors.com/
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #1636
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Battery charging devices off the laptop? I don't see what's bad about that.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #1637
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Battery charging devices off the laptop? I don't see what's bad about that.
Because there's nothing more enjoyable than working on a laptop covered in other stuff? I think they're missing a cup holder.
Apple under Tim Cook has completely lost it's way.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #1638
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Because there's nothing more enjoyable than working on a laptop covered in other stuff? I think they're missing a cup holder.
Apple under Tim Cook has completely lost it's way.
First of all this is a patent. Second of all who says you have to have stuff charging on your laptop while using it? Seems like nothing more than a convenience feature. Sorry but this is just grasping at straws critiquing a feature that isn't even implemented. If you actually check the link you will see Apple is experimenting with watch wristbands on other patents. This is what tech companies do.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #1639
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Is Apple ICare worth it for new IPhones?
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #1640
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

It is insurance- pure and simple. It does cost $180 upfront and $50 for physical damage, so that means you are paying $230 to fix a busted screen. So if you have a claim you pretty much break even. Other damage might be more to fix, like if you drop your phone in water.

That being said, after paying $1200 for a new iPhone for my wife, I paid the $180 for Apple Care.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: