Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #621
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only Mac computer that can be used as a display is the current 27" iMac, as far as I know.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #622
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quick question: if I upgrade my iPhone to ios 6 am I stuck with apple maps?
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #623
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Quick question: if I upgrade my iPhone to ios 6 am I stuck with apple maps?
Sort of. You can either download a third-party maps app (Google doesn't have one yet, and I'm not sure of any good free ones), or access Google Maps via Safari. But the built-in Google Maps app as you know it won't be available.

That being said, I haven't found Apple Maps to be as bad as many people say it is, but I also don't use it often or rely on it daily.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #624
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any news on the lightning cables yet? So frustrating they make this dinky ass cable is it do hard to make it 6 feet.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #625
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but here goes...

Anyone know a fix for slow animated gifs in safari on the iPad 2? Animated gifs in Chrome on the iPad 2 are fine.

Embedded YouTube seems faster too in Chrome.

Thanks.

Last edited by J Diddy; 10-17-2012 at 08:54 PM.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #626
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what do I do about my iPhone 4? The home button is barely working anymore, it takes repeated pushes to make it work at times, highly annoying especially since I don't think there's another way to switch apps or close them, is there? Does this require a trip to the genius bar for hopefully a new phone?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #627
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I brought my wife's iPhone 4 into the genius bar because it was having similar problems. It wasn't as bad but still annoying.

I wasn't offered a free phone. I was offer $170 for a new phone. I was also offered an upgrade to the 5 but we weren't interested.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #628
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really want to have to pay to repair it myself, it's only 1.5 years old.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #629
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you confused his link. It is a place that repairs iPhones (and other phones).

Looks like a home button the iPhone 4 is $79, installed.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #630
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I found a Mexican guy named Edgar on Kijiji who replaced my screen on my old 3G for $50 in his downtown apartment. PM me if you want his number. It wasn't as sketchy as it sounds.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 10-19-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #631
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

There's also Ty The iPhone Repair Guy in Queensland if that's closer for you. Whenever my wife breaks her phone she takes it to him.

We see him a lot.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #632
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
So what do I do about my iPhone 4? The home button is barely working anymore, it takes repeated pushes to make it work at times, highly annoying especially since I don't think there's another way to switch apps or close them, is there? Does this require a trip to the genius bar for hopefully a new phone?
Here's what you do. Take your iPhone cable and insert it into the phone. Grab the connector and pull up on it gently towards the home button with the screen facing you. Be firm but not hard enough to snap anything. You'll hear some slight clicks. Take out the cable and try the Home button. It fixes it 99% of the time. You'll have to repeat this every so often.

Last edited by Barnes; 10-19-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #633
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interestingly enough, that may have worked.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #634
emti
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Kind of off topic a bit here but quick question... I am currently in the US but my phone is with rogers and i dropped my phone in the toilet a few nights ago. Can my mom or dad go to apple and resign me onto a new contract with a new phone or will apple only do it if i am there?? I am 17 if that helps..
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #635
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emti View Post
Kind of off topic a bit here but quick question... I am currently in the US but my phone is with rogers and i dropped my phone in the toilet a few nights ago. Can my mom or dad go to apple and resign me onto a new contract with a new phone or will apple only do it if i am there?? I am 17 if that helps..
If they are authorized on your account they can, bring a bill statement and such.
If not call in to Rogers and add them as the authorized member
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #636
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So my phone is having an issue where sometimes when I get a text message the backlight doesn't turn on regardless of what I do until I lock it and unlock it again. It's not a regular problem but something that happens about once or twice a week, but when it happens it's fairly annoying. So I went into the Apple store and talked to a guy working there and he said that restoring it would solve the issue, if not I should come back and they'll swap it out. So I restore it and it doesn't fix anything, so I go back in and the lady tells me that since they can't recreate the issue in store there's nothing they can do about it. Frustrating because I have AppleCare for another year, but it can't fix any of the issues I'm having especially because everyone else gets their issue fixed if they drop it and it shatters.
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #637
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a way to get a "home button" on your screen:

Settings > General > Accessability > Assistive Touch On

It's kind of a little obtrusive, but it's a work around if you need one.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #638
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/29/ap...oth-departing/

Quote:
Scott Forstall, Apple’s SVP of iOS software, is leaving sometime next year, but will stay on board as “an advisor to CEO Tim Cook in the interim.” No reason on why he decided to depart, or if was asked to leave. Perhaps it was tipping point was the latest Maps fiasco. In addition, John Browett, Apple’s head of retail is out. It seems that they will not be replacing him, but “Jony Ive, Bob Mansfield, Eddy Cue and Craig Federighi will add more responsibilities to their roles.”
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #639
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might be a good move. From what I understand Forstall was one of the big proponents of the tacky appearance of some of Apple's software (faux leather stitching, wood grain, yellow legal pad, etc.). Not to mention the whole maps fiasco. Hopefully this means Jonathan Ive will have more of an influence on the software appearance in the future and that Apple will start to move away from their heavy use of visual metaphors.

Apple still produces the best looking hardware IMO, but some of their software has been pretty lacking lately.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #640
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I really have no idea about his role or the inner workings of Apple so I just posted the article and didn't comment after that. Post-Jobs he's the only interesting one at the press conferences though, that's the best I can comment lol. Tim Cook is the cure for insomnia.

Agreed on the looks though. I really hope in terms of physical designs Apple doesn't rest of their laurels like they seem to be doing with software though, they've been lacking innovation.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote