Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2021, 06:19 PM   #4561
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the NW, the southbound Stoney exit Tuscany/Scenic Acres exit situation should be fully open by Sunday.

Yeah there's 2 copies of the advance sign, before and after 37 Street. Not sure what else they could do here.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 08:39 PM   #4562
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
In the NW, the southbound Stoney exit Tuscany/Scenic Acres exit situation should be fully open by Sunday.

Yeah there's 2 copies of the advance sign, before and after 37 Street. Not sure what else they could do here.
That should be fun watching everyone who missed the exit to the collector lanes try to make the turn onto Tuscany blvd.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #4563
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Signs on the bridge, arrows pointing to each lane. Like an airport, or a roadway for stupid people.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #4564
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Signs on the bridge, arrows pointing to each lane. Like an airport, or a roadway for stupid people.
Fair enough. I heard there was a lot of discussion about the signage going westbound. In the end, nothing changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That should be fun watching everyone who missed the exit to the collector lanes try to make the turn onto Tuscany blvd.
This will be Deerfoot in a few years with new bridges and ramps all over the place. I was in high school down south during GE5 construction so I don't really remember it... but those of you who lived through the Glenmore rebuild in ~2006 between Macleod and Crowchild are about to endure the same hell.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:15 PM   #4565
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

And 4 lanes closed westbound 201 over the CP tracks in Shawnessy today, (and likely longer), for a re-pave.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:06 PM   #4566
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's open now, I think the overhead signs are entirely new panels. It's Crowchild Trail in big letters, then Scenic Acres Link in smaller letters underneath. No mention of Tuscany Blvd (to be fair, it simply can't fit) until after you exit. Signage is the big challenge of collector/distributor lanes, because you have to somehow fit 3 or 4 different things on the same sign. Deerfoot in a few years will have the same signage issues as I said.

The solution is simple and already exists elsewhere on Stoney, northbound over the Elbow River after the 90 Ave interchange:

So what I'd have like to see is 2 copies of ground signs, one before Country Hills Blvd and one after, saying "For Scenic Acres and Tuscany Blvd, follow Crowchild Trail". Boom, no overhead sign mods required and you actually tell people where to exit for Tuscany Blvd, and much cheaper than cantilever signs that hang over the road.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:38 PM   #4567
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's open now, I think the overhead signs are entirely new panels. It's Crowchild Trail in big letters, then Scenic Acres Link in smaller letters underneath. No mention of Tuscany Blvd (to be fair, it simply can't fit) until after you exit. Signage is the big challenge of collector/distributor lanes, because you have to somehow fit 3 or 4 different things on the same sign. Deerfoot in a few years will have the same signage issues as I said.

The solution is simple and already exists elsewhere on Stoney, northbound over the Elbow River after the 90 Ave interchange:

So what I'd have like to see is 2 copies of ground signs, one before Country Hills Blvd and one after, saying "For Scenic Acres and Tuscany Blvd, follow Crowchild Trail". Boom, no overhead sign mods required and you actually tell people where to exit for Tuscany Blvd, and much cheaper than cantilever signs that hang over the road.
Had the pleasure of using part of it, coming off Crowchild and into Tuscany. There were a few confused drivers on Stoney slamming on their brakes and trying to figure out how to navigate the now closed exit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2021, 05:42 PM   #4568
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely makes it safer going through there, the temporary weave they had setup there was straight garbage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #4569
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely makes it safer going through there, the temporary weave they had setup there was straight garbage.
It looks like it is only temporary so perhaps premature to put it in the gear grinders but I have to wonder about the speed limit on the connector. It's 80 (I think) for the most part but signed down to 60 as you approach the split into Tuscany/Stoney SB entrance. Looks like a temporary sign and I certainly hope so because you don't want people slowing to 60 right before they merge onto Stony which will presumably have the speed limit raised to 100 from the current 80 once the construction is done at the TCH.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #4570
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody have a rationale or a reason why the 130th Ave exit is so messed up? It seems so strange that the homes that live in Woodbine need to go through an entire shopping mall and detour to get onto northbound 201?

It would also seem possible to have a quick exit to maximize the benefit for that area as a whole.

I have friends who live and work in that area and it doesn't seem beneficial to use the 130th exit. I sometimes go Anderson to 24th street and than into Woodbine quicker.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #4571
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like a temporary sign and I certainly hope so because you don't want people slowing to 60 right before they merge onto Stony which will presumably have the speed limit raised to 100 from the current 80 once the construction is done at the TCH.

Yes, looks like a 60 sign put over top of the ultimate 80 sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Anybody have a rationale or a reason why the 130th Ave exit is so messed up? It seems so strange that the homes that live in Woodbine need to go through an entire shopping mall and detour to get onto northbound 201?
Too close to the Anderson interchange, which gets priority. The idea is to avoid a repeat of Deerfoot, which now requires $3 billion to fix because the interchanges are too close together.

The solution is a braided ramp, which is the Deerfoot solution in multiple locations when work starts next year. But in this location on 201 it's simply not worth the money especially given the very high capacity of the Anderson interchange which is free-flowing for all movements.

Last edited by Acey; 10-24-2021 at 03:24 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #4572
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Full overnight closures of Stoney Trail with detours up in the north at Harvest Hills Blvd starting Sunday night, heads up if this concerns you:

Quote:
Crews will be installing the girders for the Harvest Hills Boulevard interchange in early November. Detours will be in place while this work is underway as follows:

November 7 to 9, 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly:
Westbound Stoney Trail at Harvest Hills Boulevard and the northbound Harvest Hills Boulevard to westbound Stoney Trail ramp will be closed. Traffic will be detoured onto 144 Avenue N.W. to access westbound Stoney Trail at 14 Street N.W.

November 10 to12, 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly:
Eastbound Stoney Trail at Harvest Hills Boulevard and the southbound Harvest Hills Boulevard to eastbound Stoney Trail ramp will be closed. Traffic will be detoured onto Country Hills Boulevard to access Deerfoot Trail.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:50 AM   #4573
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure why they have fully stopped construction at the new second deck overpass at Shagannappi? They are about to install girders 3 interchanges away (Harvest Hills) but this one has packed up for the winter? They have all three support columns poured and have the top base that sits on the supports all tarped up. The weather has been great, why the hell would they have stopped working about two weeks ago?
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:13 AM   #4574
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Not sure why they have fully stopped construction at the new second deck overpass at Shagannappi? They are about to install girders 3 interchanges away (Harvest Hills) but this one has packed up for the winter? They have all three support columns poured and have the top base that sits on the supports all tarped up. The weather has been great, why the hell would they have stopped working about two weeks ago?
Curing time would be my guess
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 05:57 PM   #4575
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, the tarps are to cover it while the heaters blow on it to maintain temperature. Girders there pretty soon too.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:52 PM   #4576
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get that it's frustrating to watch but a huge part of construction is waiting around. Testing, curing, drying, waiting for deliveries, etc. We all know and laugh at the stories of sites sitting empty for weeks on end, or lanes staying closed for seemingly no reason, and city or construction workers standing around or watching one guy do something. The truth is though that sometimes that is really is all there is to do
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:09 PM   #4577
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well if it’s curing time than that is acceptable. I drive by every day and I didn’t notice them ever pour the top part so I assumed they framed it and left it at that. The site also looks rather clean. Glad to hear they are still rolling!
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:34 PM   #4578
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

A quick video from last October of the completed SW Calgary Ring Road (Alberta Highway 201).

Old 03-23-2022, 08:18 PM   #4579
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, apparently they are going to put in a U-Turn bay just after the Sarcee and Bow interchange to help more Bow East->Northbound traffic get onto Sarcee and to handle new traffic anticipated from the West Ring Road.

https://www.calgary.ca/citycouncil/w...n-project.html
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2022, 09:53 PM   #4580
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
So, apparently they are going to put in a U-Turn bay just after the Sarcee and Bow interchange to help more Bow East->Northbound traffic get onto Sarcee and to handle new traffic anticipated from the West Ring Road.

https://www.calgary.ca/citycouncil/w...n-project.html
Clever idea; every little bit helps. I imagine that EB to NB movement sees almost as many cars as each of the straight through movements.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote