Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #1
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default [GT] Calgary Municipal Election 2021

Figure we might as well get this going here. This is supposed to be a 'historic' vote, with a possible record number of Councillors changing, a very clearly nearly evenly divided City on who the new Mayor should be, some pointless UCP referendums thrown in, DST makes it (and Fluoride makes it BACK) onto the ballot...and the Circus Sideshow candidates multiplying.

It should be a heck of a day for Calgary!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going through my ward a few times yesterday, and the number of Chu signs had dropped dramatically. Really really really hope that POS loses. He'd be the ultimate useful idiot for Farkas as mayor, which would be the nightmare 1-2.

I already got my mail in vote done last week, make sure you get out AND VOTE!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Figure we might as well get this going here. This is supposed to be a 'historic' vote, with a possible record number of Councillors changing, a very clearly nearly evenly divided City on who the new Mayor should be, some pointless UCP referendums thrown in, DST makes it (and Fluoride makes it BACK) onto the ballot...and the Circus Sideshow candidates multiplying.

It should be a heck of a day for Calgary!
The mayor race will be interesting, and likely come down to the wire. Given the generally low turnout for municipal elections, and the politically savvy move by Assistant Trailer Park Supervisor Randy to put the dog whistle of equalization on a coinciding ballot to get out their vote, I won't be surprised for a second to see J-Romy, Mafia Maggy and Creepy Chu all be elected.

It's going to be embarrassing to watch Edmonton to elect another progressive as mayor, while we bring in another Kenney lapdog.

I would assume the equalization thing will pass in a landslide. Generations of inbreeding have rendered wide swaths of this province immune to common sense and reason. The fact that these rural dolts can't even grasp the simple concept of where funding comes from, and why Alberta "pays more" is truly an awe-inspiring level of ignorance.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
The mayor race will be interesting, and likely come down to the wire. Given the generally low turnout for municipal elections, and the politically savvy move by Assistant Trailer Park Supervisor Randy to put the dog whistle of equalization on a coinciding ballot to get out their vote, I won't be surprised for a second to see J-Romy, Mafia Maggy and Creepy Chu all be elected.

It's going to be embarrassing to watch Edmonton to elect another progressive as mayor, while we bring in another Kenney lapdog.

I would assume the equalization thing will pass in a landslide. Generations of inbreeding have rendered wide swaths of this province immune to common sense and reason. The fact that these rural dolts can't even grasp the simple concept of where funding comes from, and why Alberta "pays more" is truly an awe-inspiring level of ignorance.
Wow. Even I struggle to be this cynical this early in the morning.

I have no issues with a review of Equalization....if there were some point to it. I actually think it should be reviewed regularly so as to accurately reflect the current economic circumstances.

Besides, a 'review' isnt a 'Trial by Combat' or anything. Its giving our Government some busy-work. Its not like its going to effect market circumstances or anything.

My only real issue with a review of equalization is that its going to be reviewed by people that I largely consider idiots.

Thats like me asking 'Cletus the Yokel' to review the theory of relativity. He'll do it, but his conclusions will be of dubious quality at best.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #5
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Predictions:
Mayor: Gondek
Ward 1: Sharp
Ward 2: Wyness
Ward 3: Mian
Ward 4: Chu
Ward 5: Sandhu
Ward 6: Pootmans
Ward 7: Wong
Ward 8: Bobrovitz
Ward 9: Carra
Ward 10: Chabot
Ward 11: Branagan
Ward 12: Spencer
Ward 13: DCU
Ward 14: Demong

YYC Results for the other questions:
Fluoride: Yes 51%
Time Change: Yes - 55%
Equalization: Yes - 57%
Senate: No clear winners
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:47 AM   #6
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Wow. Even I struggle to be this cynical this early in the morning.

I have no issues with a review of Equalization....if there were some point to it. I actually think it should be reviewed regularly so as to accurately reflect the current economic circumstances.

Besides, a 'review' isnt a 'Trial by Combat' or anything. Its giving our Government some busy-work. Its not like its going to effect market circumstances or anything.

My only real issue with a review of equalization is that its going to be reviewed by people that I largely consider idiots.

Thats like me asking 'Cletus the Yokel' to review the theory of relativity. He'll do it, but his conclusions will be of dubious quality at best.
Well, I’m working in the Eastern Time Zone this week, so I have a 2 hour head start…😀

When it comes to Alberta voters, recent history has trained me to believe that just when it looks like we’ve got rock bottom, we break through the floor into a new cave.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:48 AM   #7
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Chu wins, will he resign?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #8
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the over/under on votes for Kevin J. Johnston? I'd like to get in on that game. My predication is (sadly) 986.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:53 AM   #9
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

YYC Results for the other questions:
Fluoride: Yes - 56%
Time Change: No - 62%
Equalization: No - 50.5%

Province:
Time Change: No - 53%
Equalization: Yes - 58%
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbr View Post
what is the over/under on votes for kevin j. Johnston? I'd like to get in on that game. My predication is (sadly) 986.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 08:55 AM   #11
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've deliberately held off voting until today. It's taken me this long to wrap my head around all the ballot questions.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 08:55 AM   #12
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just voted! Let's go Gondek!
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:58 AM   #13
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Interesting take.

I wonder what "progressives" in this province think?

Quote:
It's "disadvantaging Alberta," says Premier Rachel Notley of the current system.

It has "not worked for Alberta, even during the depths of our recession," says provincial Finance Minister Joe Ceci.
Stupid redneck rural hicks i suppose?

It's a very complicated and convoluted matter.

To suggest its just Alberta that has an issue with it because its population are a bunch of Conservative "inbreds" is both incorrect and ridiculously demeaning.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:58 AM   #14
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's only one race that REALLY matters in this election.

Don't let me down Calgary.

GFG (Going Full Gondek)
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 09:08 AM   #15
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted this morning and it was a 15-20 minute process. Not the worst, but I do wonder how that will be at say 6:30pm this evening.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #16
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Jesus Christ. Have a coffee or something man.

No way Farkas wins. No way Mag and Chu get another term. Even a bunch of incestuous Hicks couldn’t stoop that low.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #17
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

#FarkNo
Old 10-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #18
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Jesus Christ. Have a coffee or something man.

No way Farkas wins. No way Mag and Chu get another term. Even a bunch of incestuous Hicks couldn’t stoop that low.
I hope you are right man, I really do. I just keep coming back to this feeling I can’t shake that, after everything that’s happened, and the outright bungling of Covid, that if a snap election was called tomorrow, the UCP would return to power, with a reduced, but still substantial majority. And that somewhere around half of Calgary’s ridings would be right in the mix, so that clouds my perception of this election.

Maybe I’m overreacting, but I’ve never had less hope for Alberta than I do right now. I’ve lived here my whole life, and for the first time, I wish I lived anywhere but here.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:24 AM   #19
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Best case scenario: Farkas, Chu, and Maglioca are all out of a job.

Worst case scenario: the opposite.

Farkas is not a mayor. He was barely a functional councillor. He lies, he manipulates the electorate, and everything he does is politically motivated, not for the people.

After the furor of many conservatives over Trudeau’s transgressions and the shock that anyone could vote for him, I am expecting fraudster Maglioca and Chu with his history of sexual assault to be shown the door.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:34 AM   #20
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I absolutely expect that Chu and Maglioca are ot of a job. Farkas skins in for mayor.

Equalization is a large yes, Floridation Yes time change no

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote