Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #81
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I'm curious of your reasons why you don't like ranked ballot? It seems like the best system where you can vote for who you want (in ranked manner), but still gives parties the ability to form majority governments (which I think it's important for larger policy measures to go through).

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
The goal in a ranked ballot is to be the least offensive rather than the beat option. Redford and Stelmech exemplify this problem.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2021, 12:01 PM   #82
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

It might work for councillors, in a case where people don't like the incumbent, but don't have a single candidate to rally around. In my ward (5), it would have been okay. I was fine with either Dhaliwal or Sandhu winning but definitely didn't want Sadat winning. I was worried that those two would dilute each other's support enough that Sadat would end up winning. Fortunately he didn't, but I think it could have been an issue if he had been the incumbent, as they tend to have an advantage in municipal politics.

In the mayoral race though, we likely would have ended up with Davison and I don't think that would have been a better representation of what people want.

If we need to change the current system, then I think a run-off between the top two would be a better option than ranked ballots. Of course, then you need people to vote twice, which brings its own problems.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #83
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends on whether most of the Gondek voters were voting for her, as opposed to against Farkas. I’d guess that a huge amount of her votes were from that category. For me, had Davison been the candidate with a chance to keep him out, I’d have voted for him.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #84
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I guess it depends on whether most of the Gondek voters were voting for her, as opposed to against Farkas. I’d guess that a huge amount of her votes were from that category. For me, had Davison been the candidate with a chance to keep him out, I’d have voted for him.
Agreed. I have talked to a number of people who voted Gondek as an anti-Farkas strategic vote as opposed to a pro-Gondek vote
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #85
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

From this particular field of candidate, Gondek was my first choice anyway, so I voted for her quite happily. Hypothetically, if the pre-election polls had been flipped, showing Davison in a two-horse race with Farkas and Gondek running a distant third, I absolutely 100% would have strategically voted for Davison (someone I very strongly dislike but still think would be an infinitely better mayor than Farkas). Bring on ranked ballots, IMO.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #86
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Nice, Stephen Carter is a smart guy.
I’m not a big fan.

https://globalnews.ca/news/80926/wil...company-fails/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle4255404/
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #87
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why not?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #88
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just don’t agree that he is all that “smart”. There have been a few odd things related to him over the years. Where there is smoke, there is fire kind of thing.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:25 PM   #89
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkidding View Post
I just don’t agree that he is all that “smart”. There have been a few odd things related to him over the years. Where there is smoke, there is fire kind of thing.
The guy wins people elections.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:50 PM   #90
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The goal in a ranked ballot is to be the least offensive rather than the beat option. Redford and Stelmech exemplify this problem.
Now tell us how you would describe the goal in first-past-the-post, since that is the alternative.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:50 PM   #91
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
The guy wins people elections.
Either that or he's good at predicting what candidate will win the election and getting them to employ him.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:02 AM   #92
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Now tell us how you would describe the goal in first-past-the-post, since that is the alternative.
Most of the time in first past the post you need to be the first choice of the largest number of voters.

Strategic voting where one candidate/party is especially disliked can be a factor - in which case a reasonable goal can be to be the most likely non-offensive option to win.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:44 AM   #93
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terry Wong has made Gary Bobrovitz his Chief of Staff.

One hopes he will add staff that have some city experience, especially considering the workload in Ward 7.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #94
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Terry Wong has made Gary Bobrovitz his Chief of Staff.

One hopes he will add staff that have some city experience, especially considering the workload in Ward 7.
Bobrovitz covered city hall for decades. He probably knows more about the workings of city administration than 90 per cent of the people who work there.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #95
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Not the worst pick given the Councillor, although I think Ward 7 residents will have Wong and Bobrovitz under a microscope given they've had a progressive representative for 20 years, and neither of them appear to fit that profile.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #96
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Not the worst pick given the Councillor, although I think Ward 7 residents will have Wong and Bobrovitz under a microscope given they've had a progressive representative for 20 years, and neither of them appear to fit that profile.
I thought that Bobrovitz was quite liberal?
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 07:36 AM   #97
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Calgary mayor asks minister to call byelection to remove Sean Chu from council

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-chu-1.6254912

Quote:
Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek says she has requested that Alberta's Minister of Municipal Affairs, Ric McIver, call a byelection in an attempt to remove embattled Ward 4 Coun. Sean Chu from city council.

"I called on the minister to lead, particularly in the case of Councillor Chu, because he is literally our last resource," Gondek told reporters after her private meeting with McIver.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:03 PM   #98
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

As the city goes through it's budget deliberations, this is kind of what I hoped to avoid. I want to vote for progressives, because I want to see things built and generally see a vision for the city of optimism and progress. But, the downside to voting those types of candidates in seems to be that taxes are only going higher. So far, we're looking at a hair under 3% increase for next year and they're not done yet.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:01 PM   #99
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm sorry, but am I supposed to get riled up over a 3% tax increase? What's that to the average home owner? $100-150 over the year? OK.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:02 PM   #100
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I think Chu is a PoS and shouldn’t be there, I disagree that Muni Affairs should get involved. That sets a dangerous precedent. Remove an elected official and where does it stop. (Relevant: I was a city councillor for many years and am now a consultant to councils and municipalities.)
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post: